What's new

Shaving Gel ---VS--- Shaving Foam ?

Shaving Gel ---VS--- Shaving Foam ?

• Shaving Gel

• Shaving Foam

Results are only viewable after voting.
I still use foam when I'm in a pinch. I haven't used gels recently, but in the past, I didn't have very good experiences with them.

The canned foam I use when in a hurry these days, is Noxzema Aloe and Lanolin. It was recommended by someone on these forums in the past (sorry, I can't remember who it was...), and I've found it to be really good. Very thick and just a little bit goes very long way. When I first started using it, I would spray out too much. A handful would be good for at least two passes, so I would keep half on the cap and save it for the 2nd pass.

The only things I've used are canned Barbasol and Gillette canned gel. I'm more of a 'shaving is a chore' kind of person, so I'll buy what will get the job done and cheaply. Barbasol used to be my go to when I cart shaved before I switched to DE about 3 years ago. The Barbasol was adequate but not enough with a DE for shaving my neck for XTG passes as I always had irritation there. I switched to Gillette gel about 3 weeks ago and the difference was incredible. And I was using the Barbasol for sensitive skin, mind you. Had hardly any irritation at all with the switch. I never use aftershave and with the gel, I don't think I need to as it is THAT better for use. Now I'm back to cart shaving and still use that gel. I will never go back. :thumbsup:

Barbasol yellow (out of production I heard) was my 1st choice. Barbasol original and Foamy Lemon Lime are in a tie for #1 now. Barbasol shaves a bit more comfortably but I love the smell of the Foamy. Then Foamy menthol. I tried gels but they seemed to clog things up and be harder to rinse. Mind you, I use the canned stuff when I am in a hurry on work days. I prefer a good soap any day of the week.

Nivea gel in both versions blue and white gives me a good shave with a cart or DE, a bit more protection and moisturizing in the white can, thinner and more slick in blue can. Like others have said, I find canned foam, Barbasol variations and Gillettes, sits on top of my beard, is drying, not very slick.

I understand why are foams popular. Golf ball size on your palm, no brush is needed, smell is nice and gets shave done. No brush is needed. Of course there is something special about warm brush and lather, but for most people this is more than enough. I have Figaro foam for less than 2€ in my local supermarket but I'd rather find vendor that sells soaps.

@Shaving like a boss Yellow actually orange one is still offered on their web page.

Last edited:
N. Shaves has an interesting comparison video on u-tube where he compares Barbasol to Edge gel, and he mentions several times in the video that he felt the Barbasol seems to lack slickness compared to the gel, and that the gel left residual slickness, whereas on the Barbasol side, he felt the slickness was almost completely gone after the pass.

@Super Speed Brut , thanks! Good to know.

N. Shaves has an interesting comparison video on u-tube where he compares Barbasol to Edge gel, and he mentions several times in the video that he felt the Barbasol seems to lack slickness compared to the gel, and that the gel left residual slickness, whereas on the Barbasol side, he felt the slickness was almost completely gone after the pass.
I find that a little water mixed by hand into the Barbasol lather on your face should improve the slickness nicely. I do agree, though, that you won't get much residual slickness from Barbasol.

I prefer gel over foam. The gel seems slicker and gives me a close, comfortable shave. I like Gillette gel with the green top and Edge Sensitive or Ultra Sensitive. If I have a heavy beard say 4 or 5 days between shaves; there is nothing like foam. I love Noxzema red, white and green. Barbasol original is also a favorite. Noxzema makes my face feel good and Barbasol smells like a barber shop! Gel is good for everyday shaving for sensitive skin whether I am using DE Razor or a Cart.

I've been using morfose ossion 3 in 1 shave gel. It's fantastic. No irritation, nice glide, very effecient, no clogging of the razor it doesn't foam. Highly recommended.

For me it's morfose ossion 3 in 1 shave gel. A non foaming transparent gel that gives very effecient shaves. No irritation, no bumps, no razor clogging. I reccomend it.

I use foam now and then, usually the gillette lime foam.

Nivea gel is also very good, king of shaves gel works great too but feels strange on the skin.

I've got some proraso foam on the way to try.

proxy.php

ooh! I didn't know Proraso made foam. I just ordered my first tub of Proraso Red soap. I've been using the white and really like it, but I'm a huge fan of Sandalwood, so I had to try the red. If I like the scent of the soap, I'll definitely have to try getting this foam for the times when I need to hurry and don't have time to lather (which usually means shaving as I shower).

The red foam arrived last night, first impressions are good. The foam is very creamy and slick. Good scent.

It came as a 3 pack with the Green, Red & Yellow. I'll get a review of it up tonight as some point.

Top Bottom