What's new

Shaving cream vs shaving soap

Personally I like to puck lather It's fast and simple. I just press or melt my favorite soap into a ceramic bowl, let a little water set on it while my brush soaks, shake out my brush and start to swirl, adding drops of water as needed till I get the lather I like. Simple quick.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
All things being equal, which they never are, a great shave can be enjoyed with either. Castle Forbes makes great creams (I prefer Lavender and Lime), and will stand up to a soap shave.

Having said that, I no longer use creams. I wish I could tell you why, but I don't really know. Cream in a bowl (preferably in a scuttle) is a no brainer as you quickly figure out how big a dollop to drop in there and you're good to go. Loading soaps is a little trickier, but it ain't golf - everybody figures it out in short order.

Use what you like. Use both. Whatever makes you happy.

Creams are easier to use and some are real lather bombs. I always use softer brushes with creams as the boars don't seem to perform as well with them, but I prefer boars so I don't use creams as often.

A soap is where the boar brushes usually shine. It might require some elbow grease to get going, but the extra time is well worth it. I've seen my skin have some extra sheen when I get a BBS from a good soap. I might get the BBS using a cream too, and while my face feels better moisturised, it doesn't provide the visual finish of a good soap.

I have mixed views on this. So far I only have one shaving soap and one shaving cream. Both have their pros and cons.

My Aloe Vera cream gives a really really good shave. However I do find it slightly messier to whip up a good lather. I have used the 'palm lathering' technique which gives good results but then I have to wash my hand before shaving to avoid the razor slipping.

My shaving soap is easier to lather up and is less messy but in my experience the lather isn't quite so good as the cream seems to offer a more comfortable shave. But it does win on convenience when I am in a hurry in the morning.

Jason.

Top Bottom