What's new

Shaving cream vs shaving soap

As a committed bowl latherer, creams are more convenient for me. I just scoop some cream into my bowl and lather up. It’s one less thing hanging around the shaving sink. The cream lathers up instantly. After I scoop the cream I can seal the tub right back up. I don’t need to worry about cleaning or drying the puck. It’s fast, efficient and works well for me.
This is a great explanation of the logic behind using a cream. I’ve really only used soaps and am interested in trying a cream. My wife bought me a tube of Cremo but that doesn’t count since it isn’t intended to be used with a brush. What would you recommend for a good first brand?

This is a great explanation of the logic behind using a cream. I’ve really only used soaps and am interested in trying a cream. My wife bought me a tube of Cremo but that doesn’t count since it isn’t intended to be used with a brush. What would you recommend for a good first brand?
My favorites are below.

Acqua di Parma
Baume
Fitjar
Musgo Real
Santa Maria Novella
Speick

If you go for Baume get the balm too. It's very good.

lasta

Blade Biter

If you just want to wet your beak, Palmolive is cheap and will give anything a run for its money.

Great advice above!

For me the ’answer’ is soaps, but there are other guys who prefer creams which is perfectly fine. Then, there are the ‘compromise’ (and very fine) soft soaps. All options can provide excellent results!

In my experience, admittedly only since about 2013, creams are easier to work with, provide a thicker lather, and come in plenty of nice scents. Soaps last longer, especially the soap sticks which are very convenient, and probably provide more slickness.

I began with creams, shifted to soaps, and now use both randomly.

i have a mixture of products. some tube based creams and Art of Shaving creams. But i got some artisan tubs that are a hard cream. Need to put a little of effort to load up the brush.

But which do you define for Castle and Forbes? Taylor of Old Bond Street? Creams or hard creams or soft soaps?

Dennis

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
i have a mixture of products. some tube based creams and Art of Shaving creams. But i got some artisan tubs that are a hard cream. Need to put a little of effort to load up the brush.

But which do you define for Castle and Forbes? Taylor of Old Bond Street? Creams or hard creams or soft soaps?

Dennis

Those are creams, if you’re asking, though, I would bet you have some that are drying out. You can reconstitute them easily with a spoon and distilled water. Not tap water. Just add a bit of water and stir until you have the right consistency.

Is it really that simple? I’m sure they contain a fair number of similarities but I’m guessing there’s more to it than that. Perhaps I am mistaken.
You're correct. Shaving creams contain soap, but may contain a lot of other ingredients, in addition.

Creams are softer. They usually contain a higher proportion of potassium salts. There may be a higher percentage of water and glycerin. Some creams contain liquid ingredients such as triethanolamine, detergents, foaming agents, etc. There are usually preservatives added. Canned shaving creams have some type of propellant gas, such as butane.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I prefer soap because I find it slicker. However, when I first started shaving when I was a teenager, I preferred cream because I found it easier to make lather.
I too find soap to provide more slickness and protection. When I was starting out and experiencing frequent razor burn, I noticed that my shaves with soap were easier on my face with a good soap vs a good cream. I started off using DR Harris Windsor soap and then tried the cream. I definitely noticed a difference. Soap also lasts longer so to me it is more economical.

Nothing much else to add that hasn't been said above except to manage expectations regarding performance and "latherability." By that I mean if you've been using shave creams and softer soaps/croaps and decide you want to make the jump to triple milled/harder soaps and or take on a challenge like Mitchell's Wool Fat or Williams, have some of your tried and true soft soaps/creams on hand first. The triple milled and harder soaps may not lather as easily or in the same way that the soft soaps/creams do, and if you encounter difficulty getting a good lasting lather you can fall back on what your used to if the need arises. Nothing worse than getting frustrated with something not meeting your initial expectations and then writing off that hard soap or all hard soaps in general as they really do last longer and bring different aspects to the shave.

Top-notch (soap-based) creams are every bit as good as top-notch hard soaps, ime.

The fundamental difference is water content.

Essentially, any (soap-based) cream can be cured into a hard soap;
MdC, for example, is a low water, cream formula (potassium salt only), yet it's a hard soap.

I like soaps because the lather is more light on the skin and does not smear your face up like creams. It also produces a much better lather in my experience. Try Tabac or some good shaving sticks!

Shaving soaps don't need preservatives, takes time to foam a soap. SLS was used in soaps and creams replaced by milder foam booster these days.

When you say "it takes time to foam a soap", what exactly do you mean?

With the better artisan soaps in my den, I can load my brush in less than 10 seconds and have a perfectly usable lather in another 30 seconds of bowl lathering. With a cream, you might be able to avoid the brush loading time, but it will still take some time to build a lather.

Yes, there are some soaps like Williams Mug Soap that can take several minutes of lathering to get a usable lather. That is why I gave up on MWF a long time ago. I do not have the patience to spend more than 60 seconds building a lather.

When you say "it takes time to foam a soap", what exactly do you mean?

With the better artisan soaps in my den, I can load my brush in less than 10 seconds and have a perfectly usable lather in another 30 seconds of bowl lathering. With a cream, you might be able to avoid the brush loading time, but it will still take some time to build a lather.

Yes, there are some soaps like Williams Mug Soap that can take several minutes of lathering to get a usable lather. That is why I gave up on MWF a long time ago. I do not have the patience to spend more than 60 seconds building a lather.
It depends on a soap, some lathers easily some don't. Requires a bit effort to build.

TOBS Jermyn for me would be my go IF I had to choose one but I do not :) is it a croap ? Its not really cream not really soap and I hear that mentioned a lot ? Eveyrone seems to have their view

that said I love the idea of soaps as they are old fashioned fun :) you can easily lather on face out of a bowl easy to maintain and from what I understand can last longer as creams I hear have issues sometimes with time separation etc
So many reasons to love good soaps !

hardwater is also something to be aware of many ways around it OR find some that work with it

finding my fav gear is taking WAY longer than I thought though and so much fun :)

TOBS Jermyn for me would be my go IF I had to choose one but I do not :) is it a croap ? Its not really cream not really soap and I hear that mentioned a lot ? Eveyrone seems to have their view

that said I love the idea of soaps as they are old fashioned fun :) you can easily lather on face out of a bowl easy to maintain and from what I understand can last longer as creams I hear have issues sometimes with time separation etc
So many reasons to love good soaps !

hardwater is also something to be aware of many ways around it OR find some that work with it

finding my fav gear is taking WAY longer than I thought though and so much fun :)
I wondered how much of a factor hard water is we’re on well water. It’s crystal clear and tastes great, but it’s extremely hard water.

Top Bottom