What's new

Shaver recommendation

Hello,

as you can see I am new here and not experienced with shaving tools at all.
I would like advice on what do I need to get for a "scruffy" type beard. Something like this:
proxy.php

Basically a typical 2-3 day beard.

So far I used:
- philips oneblade with 1mm guard. Result is fine, problem is that the blades wear out quickly. They advertise 6 months, but in my case they wore out after just 5-6 uses. And replacement blades are very expensive.
- wahl detailer. It seems to cut fine, but the guards scratch like hell. I saw the most people use it without the guards, but I don't think I could cut evenly at 1mm without a guard. Are there some guards that don't scratch? And I don't know how long the blade lasts, hopefully more than a year?

Should I try with a clipper too? I noticed those come with more guard options

I have a Phillips Multigroom 7000 that I picked up at my local costco for ~$50 CAD. It works great and the battery life is unreal.

Hello,

as you can see I am new here and not experienced with shaving tools at all.
I would like advice on what do I need to get for a "scruffy" type beard. Something like this:
proxy.php

Basically a typical 2-3 day beard.

So far I used:
- philips oneblade with 1mm guard. Result is fine, problem is that the blades wear out quickly. They advertise 6 months, but in my case they wore out after just 5-6 uses. And replacement blades are very expensive.
- wahl detailer. It seems to cut fine, but the guards scratch like hell. I saw the most people use it without the guards, but I don't think I could cut evenly at 1mm without a guard. Are there some guards that don't scratch? And I don't know how long the blade lasts, hopefully more than a year?

Should I try with a clipper too? I noticed those come with more guard options
I have a fullsized Wahl clipper and the guards are comfortable. But it sounds like you want it a little shorter than that. I've trimmed my beard down to stubble without a guard, but that wasn't all that comfortable; I'm not sure you'd want to do it regularly.

Have you considered a single WTG pass on Friday night and just let it grow for the week?

So far I used...

- wahl detailer. It seems to cut fine, but the guards scratch like hell. I saw the most people use it without the guards, but I don't think I could cut evenly at 1mm without a guard. Are there some guards that don't scratch? And I don't know how long the blade lasts, hopefully more than a year?...
The Wahl Detailer is a good tool. For trimming stubble to length, you should keep the flat side of the guard against the face. Don't use much pressure, just keep the trimmer in light contact with the face.

You can "invert" the trimmer, without a guard, to trim the outline of the beard. But the normal position should not have the teeth contacting the face directly.

The blade should last quite a long time, just depending on how much it is used (probably several years). Be sure to oil your blade every other time you use the trimmer. This will help it last longer and cut smoother. You can buy a replacement blade from Wahl when the current one wears out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom