What's new

Wahl clippers are too sharp

I hope this is constructive feedback. 15 or so years ago I fell in love with Wahl clippers. Apparently the older Wahls had a balance that the newer ones don't. I still want to have loyalty, when I look up the shaving experience it is about how to sharpen the Wahls and keep them sharp. It's just that the last two pair have been too sharp and each and every time I have used them they have cut a gash on something. On the older ones I could shave my face with them without a bleeding gash. Now it seems like you are sitting on the iron throne from Game of Thrones. How did the older Wahl clippers somehow find a balance?

Last edited by a moderator:
The blades on most of the Wahls can be adjusted. All you need is a screwdriver. You loosen a couple of screws and adjust the relative position of the cutting blade against the fixed blade. You can make it so it won't cut quite as close, but you won't get nipped.

When they start to get dull, the blades on those are cheap enough to just replace instead of resharpening, but they last for years of home use.

I think you need to adjust the cutting blade (blade on bottom that goes side to side). Just unscrew the 2 screws and reposition the blade just below the edge of the cutting guides and tighten. I replaced the cutting blades on all my Wahls and Osters with ceramic blades. They stay sharp a lot longer and they don’t get as hot as the stainless blades.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I hope this is constructive feedback. 15 or so years ago I fell in love with Wahl clippers. Apparently the older Wahls had a balance that the newer ones don't. I still want to have loyalty, when I look up the shaving experience it is about how to sharpen the Wahls and keep them sharp. It's just that the last two pair have been too sharp and each and every time I have used them they have cut a gash on something. On the older ones I could shave my face with them without a bleeding gash. Now it seems like you are sitting on the iron throne from Game of Thrones. How did the older Wahl clippers somehow find a balance?

I'm sorry to say, this is not enough information to go on...

( 1 ) Please state the exact model of Wahl clippers that you are using. Wahl makes several consumer clipper models, as well as several professional clipper models.

( 2 ) Believe it or not, as well as many clipper models that they have produced, their are different blade types as well. Some are standard blade, other's are stagger tooth blades.

( 3 ) I notice a lot of folks will confuse a detail trimmer for a clipper. If what you have is infact a Wahl detail trimmer, they are designed to cut very close to the skin.

While I concur what other's have mentioned, that you can adjust the blade depth by loosening the screws and repositioning, you have to make absolutely sure that you get the blade alignment correct. If you don't align the blades correctly, the clipper will vibrate violently, and make a loud buzzing sound.

IMHO, the blades are positioned at factory, for optimum usage. I personally wouldn't mess with the adjustment, but thats just me. Additionally, if you have a clipper model that has a taper lever on the left side, make sure that the taper lever is horizontal with the clipper, AKA the blade opened position. This will reduce the chance of nicking yourself.

Try googling ’zero gapping clippers’. You probably dont want a zero gap, which aligns top and bottom blades, but a tiny bit more 1/32 to 1/16. Youll get the picture when you see a video. Once you set them, try on your inner forearm to make sure they dont bite your skin. I have adjustables and zero gap them and then back it off a tiny bit with the adjustment.

Also, if you still have the instructions, it tells you how to set blades. Be aware, you need to make sure teeth are in a certain position fir them to work properly.

IMG_0482.jpeg

Top Bottom