What's new

Shavemac D01

I'm thinking of getting a Shavemac but have never tried one.

I have a selection of Semogue boars including a Tatara version, a badger/boar mix and a SOC two band. I hear the D01 two band has a great backbone. I really like the backbone of the Semogue two band and the natural feel of the Semogues generally. I have no interest in the so called gel tips that many brush makers offer. My two band took a while to "break in" and relax and is now great. I understand the D01 will need some time to break in like my Semogues.

Thinking of 26/54 or 28/56 for the knot and most likely a bulb shape.

Just looking for recommendations, suggestions and experience with the Shavemac D01 two band (or other hair variations).

Thanks

The Shavemac D01-2 band is my absolute favorite knot. I you go 2:1 ratio (26/52 or 28/56), it will be dense and very robust with a lot of backbone. Some may think too much, but not me. To lessen the backbone, just add a couple of mm to the loft (26/54, 28/58 etc). I have multiple variations of 22 and 24mm fans and they never disappoint. The 26 and 28 you seek are too big for me, but I am confident you will love them if you truly enjoy a dense knot with strong backbone.

The Semogues are 24mm already so I don't think 26 will be a big jump. Maybe I will start with the 26/54.

Yes, I meant 28/58 but thanks for the tip.

Remember, the D01 is not a bulb shape. If you wanted a bulb, the standard 2 band is great. Maybe with a -2 or -4 if you are looking for added backbone. Mine has excellent flow through and the bulb shape is already considered firmer than the raised canopy of some other makers. The other thing is if you get the standard D01, it might have gelled tips as it is Silvertip.

I have 5 Shavemac knots in brushes that Rudy Vey made for me,
2 28mm 2 band Silvertip one is set at the normal height, the other I had Rudy set a little lower to give it more backbone, my favorite is set a normal height, but for you you could get the backbone you desire and the great flow thru getting the 2 band Silvertip.

Really does not matter any Shavemac knot you get will be great I think they are the best knots out there where you can get just the knot.

I also have a 26mm, 24mm, and a 22mm

Good luck

Remember, the D01 is not a bulb shape. If you wanted a bulb, the standard 2 band is great. Maybe with a -2 or -4 if you are looking for added backbone. Mine has excellent flow through and the bulb shape is already considered firmer than the raised canopy of some other makers. The other thing is if you get the standard D01, it might have gelled tips as it is Silvertip.
The D01-2 and 3 band knots are available in bulb and fan and can be viewed on the Shavemac website. I have owned at least 6 D01 knots and none have had "gel tips".

Remember, the D01 is not a bulb shape. If you wanted a bulb, the standard 2 band is great.

To be honest, I'd like to try something different as all my other brushes are fans. That's the real reason for the bulb. So the D01 bulb isn't a proper bulb?

The other thing is if you get the standard D01, it might have gelled tips as it is Silvertip.

I was recommended the D01 for natural tips. I've also contacted Bernd at Shavemac before I make any decisions.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
D01 two-band is an acquired taste, it is not for the faint hearted.
It comes in three shapes: bulb, fan and flattop. Not sure where the statement comes from that it would not come in bulb.
Also, it does not have gelled tips at all....it has a huge backbone and tons of scrub, but no scritch!!
I would follow "It's Hedley" advise and add a little loft to it, especially for the bulbs; the fans are great at 1:2 ratio. I would not go bigger than 22 mm for the flattops, though - its a wall of hair in your face!!

The bulb is so tight and strong that the shape resembles more a mushroom. I like it fine but down the road a Fan will follow…
24mm 2 Band Bulb/24mm D01 2 Band Bulb/22mm 2 Band Fan/Simpsons Pure
E119E2DE-965B-4463-9A69-08C5837CE097.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a Shavemac but have never tried one.

I have a selection of Semogue boars including a Tatara version, a badger/boar mix and a SOC two band. I hear the D01 two band has a great backbone. I really like the backbone of the Semogue two band and the natural feel of the Semogues generally. I have no interest in the so called gel tips that many brush makers offer. My two band took a while to "break in" and relax and is now great. I understand the D01 will need some time to break in like my Semogues.

Thinking of 26/54 or 28/56 for the knot and most likely a bulb shape.

Just looking for recommendations, suggestions and experience with the Shavemac D01 two band (or other hair variations).

Thanks

Rudy Vey White Zebra (24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip):
20210125_195239_2.jpg

Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger):
20210526_134424_2.jpg

Rudy Vey AS3M Dark Knight (Shavemac 26/52 D01 3-Band):
20210425_114838_2.jpg

Both the 2-Band and the 3-Band are wonderful knots. Slight personal preference for the 3-Band. My favorite Shavemac knot is the regular 2-Band Silvertip Fan. :cool:

The D01-2 and 3 band knots are available in bulb and fan and can be viewed on the Shavemac website. I have owned at least 6 D01 knots and none have had "gel tips".
My bad, I thought the D01 wasn't a true bulb because the shape is slightly different to my 2 band. I guess they are calling them bulb, but others don't. 🤷‍♂️

I recently went through the dilemma of debating between the 2-band silvertip (non D01) and the D01 2-band. I wanted a knot with lots of scrub, not a lot of scritch (hopefully) and didn’t care about density as long as it releases the lather well enough. I spoke with several knowledgeable members on here for their input on both, thanks again gents! I have a small rotation of 6 brushes, one for each day of the week I shave, so I like variety of different knots.

I already owned a Thäter 2-band silvertip bulb, initially set at 26/52 but lowered it to 26/50 and prefer it at the lower loft. I find it has some scrub (wanted a knot with more), soft tips, whips up lather quickly and releases it really well. It’s a great knot and would be happy with it and everybody raves about it but have heard that the Thäter and Shavemac 2-band silvertip are very close, some say even indistinguishable between the two, so I decided I wanted something different so went with the D01 2-band as I thought it would always bug me if I didn’t at least try it.

As some, like Rudy above, say it’s an acquired taste, not for the faint of heart and with the bulb you can jack up a car with it, so I ordered a 26/54 (added 2mm length to hair) D01 2-band Silvertip in bulb shape and set it in my handle at 54mm. I’ve used it 5 times now and although it’s early I’d say it’s in my top 2 (maybe top but it’s still early) with my Paladin K7. The D01 2-band has got great scrub (not as intense as I expected), have got zero scritch, although it is denser then the regular 2-band it still releases the lather well and the tips are softer then I expected, slightly less soft then the regular 2-band. I was honestly expecting the first dozen or so shaves to be uncomfortable, then gradually get better until it was broken in but mine felt great right from the first shave. After trying it out, I’ve decided I’d like a little more scrub then I currently have, I’m thinking because of the 2mm hair length I added, so I removed the knot (used silicone) and am going to set it this time at 52mm. If I were to buy this knot again, I’m not sure if I would add the 2mm hair length, I’ll be interested to see how it performs with mine lowered 2mm.

The Shavemac and Thäter knots (I have anyways) don’t have gel tips. I don’t like gelled knots so that’s a key feature for me in buying knots.

FYI, if you are messaging Bernd questions, expect 5-10 days for him to respond.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.

I have closed the badger area for my self , but if I could afford the spending and logically accept the buying, then I would buy a D01 and a 2band from Shavemac. I have an impression that these two types would fill all the brush specter for me.

Top Bottom