What's new

Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band vs Boar

I typically prefer boar brushes for their backbone, but some of the Shavemac configurations look pretty neat and I'm thinking about investing. The last thing I need, however, is another brush that will sit unused.

If Shavemac offered a boar knot this would be easy, but they don't. I gather that the Shavemac knot with the most backbone is the Silvertip D01 2-Band.

I'd be interested to hear from folks who can make a direct comparison between their use of boar and their use of the Shavemac Silvertip D01 2-Band knot, especially with regard to backbone.

Please and thanks, y'all.

Tons of it, you won’t be disappointed and the best thing is that they don’t go soft and floppy over time.

98129965-E704-4234-9E9A-3F1180086C2A.jpeg
507F4621-CFF0-4364-B261-A8FF4FF3FA13.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I do not use boars, but have a couple D01 2-bands, and yes, they have a good strong backbone.
As Jim here from B&B here once said " you can jack your car up with this one".
I always say, it is not for the faint hearted, but know many of my customers love them.

The one quality I will say is somewhat like boar is that the D01 2 band does take awhile to settle in fully. It took me 40+ shaves to get it to a place I really enjoy it. It's the only badger hair for which I've had this experience.

This isn't the tips changing so much as the knot fully opening up, but I will say it does feel a bit softer to me than when I first got it, but that may be me acclimating to the knot.

It is top quality hair. Love mine. It's particularly great if you have a couple of days growth on your face. It's my go-to brush for those days. Scrubby heaven.

Boars and my Shavemac D01 2 band are my favorites. That being said, a different feel. Shave Forge Boar knots set at a 1:2 ratio (24mm width and 48mm height and the Omega Proraso boar brush are my favorites and definitely possess the most backbone of any of my boars even after being broken in. The Shavemac possesses a similar backbone to them and even holds more backbone in use. But the feel is obviously different, you will not mistake the boar for a Shavemac and vice versa. My first D01 2band was set at 24/48 and I thought it didn’t release lather that well so my 2nd was set at 24/50 and is quite nice. I hope you enjoy yours!

Wanted to follow up here due to a more recent D01 2 band experience. I ordered a new D01 2 band from Shavemac, but this time in a flattop. I've never tried the flattop before, so I was curious to try it. I also had a brush handle that I wanted to re-knot. The brush measurements are 26mm x 48mm.

It's an absolute dream. Unlike my D01 in a fan shape, my flattop took no break-in time. I think this is really the best expression of the D01 2 band because you get all the hairs pressed against your face at once. Yes, it is a big knot, even with the lower loft, but I like big brushes. One of my favorites is a Chubby 2 in Best, and I'd say it's comparable to that brush in size once wet and in use. If you like something smaller as a brush then scale down accordingly in size, but the face feel is awesome. It has some give but not too much because it's coupled with the D01's backbone, and that makes for sublime scrub. I've got two more brushes in a similar stone handle that I want to re-knot, so I'm going to have Shavemac make me two more of these flattops. In this configuration, D01 2 band is one of my all time favorite hairs.

IMG_5902.jpg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
You know, I've wanted to try a D01 2 Band for over a decade now... I love high backbone, and somehow have never quite gotten there. Was considering getting another Shavemac sometime. Maybe I'll push the D01 2 Band up to the top of the list.

Wanted to follow up here due to a more recent D01 2 band experience. I ordered a new D01 2 band from Shavemac, but this time in a flattop. I've never tried the flattop before, so I was curious to try it. I also had a brush handle that I wanted to re-knot. The brush measurements are 26mm x 48mm.

It's an absolute dream. Unlike my D01 in a fan shape, my flattop took no break-in time. I think this is really the best expression of the D01 2 band because you get all the hairs pressed against your face at once. Yes, it is a big knot, even with the lower loft, but I like big brushes. One of my favorites is a Chubby 2 in Best, and I'd say it's comparable to that brush in size once wet and in use. If you like something smaller as a brush then scale down accordingly in size, but the face feel is awesome. It has some give but not too much because it's coupled with the D01's backbone, and that makes for sublime scrub. I've got two more brushes in a similar stone handle that I want to re-knot, so I'm going to have Shavemac make me two more of these flattops. In this configuration, D01 2 band is one of my all time favorite hairs.

View attachment 1786481

STUNNING!! Congratulations!! :a5::a5:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1706533413549.png

Thanks for the input, guys. I pulled the trigger.

⇧Here's what I'm expecting⇧

That's about what you'll get, too.

If the D01 2 band doesn't have enough backbone you might try the Zenith Manchurian.

1-27-24.Bayonetta:Doug's.Beeswax.D01.640.JPG

1706533413549.png
Backbone.Dino..jpeg

1-3-24.WR2-1.35.Mike's.ZenCopMan.640.JPG

What do all four of these have in common?

I wouldn't say a good boar is all that much like a D01 two band. Both are good. You might or might not like the D01. Mine has upwards of a hundred uses under its belt and is still breaking in. It might have upwards of 150. It's possible it might be getting a bit soft (when mashed into the skin with the knot sprayed a bit).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Did you get a chance to try the brush out?

Well, I fell asleep on this question. Sorry.

Yes, I have used it a few times and it is, without doubt, the strongest backbone in my arsenal. It's still a bit prickly, however, and I'm hoping that will go away with more breaking in.

View attachment 1787662

That's about what you'll get, too.

If the D01 2 band doesn't have enough backbone you might try the Zenith Manchurian.

Mine has upwards of a hundred uses under its belt and is still breaking in. It might have upwards of 150.

Oy vey. I've taken to test lathering with it on a semi-regular basis with a high-menthol soap that I bought before I realized that soap can actually have too much menthol for me. I'm nowhere near 100 lathers though.

Top Bottom