What's new

Shavemac Closing

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I believe that Brad Sears is closing because he’s retiring - he is in his 70’s I believe. That’s a different, and worthy cause.

I also messaged a vendor via their website, about an expensive brush ($250-300-ish). Never heard back from them. Apparently if you don’t contact some of them on social media, they aren’t interested in your money. This seems especially true of European vendors (not Shavemac).

They shouldn’t complain about Chinese competition if they are turning down sales because they don’t like reading their email.

It could just be that he’s stopping custom orders and doing standard designs instead. There would be plenty of good reasons to go that way - it would reduce his costs for sure.
That’s what I also suspect. But I still see that as a slowing down. Now, the production is firing up all its cylinders to manufacture the standard catalogue designs plus the custom ones. By stopping taking custom (brush) orders, I would expect that also the number of sales will lower. I could be wrong though (and for their sake, I hope I am). Whether or not this also means the net revenue will be affected, I also do not know.

But seeing where the shaving brush market is at now, I don’t see this situation looking great: it’s a business with low profit margin, manufacturing niche products with a long lifetime expectancy (thus limited demand) and a fair amount of manufacturers competing for the same target group.

The way I look at it we were fortunate to have a shaving brush brand offering a custom service, and his prices were very reasonable. Nothing lasts forever but we did enjoy many years of this special service and there’s still the possibility to order one for the next month and a half. There are of course still independent artisans who will make a custom handle and even one well known here who uses Shavemac knots.

Personally, as nice as the custom option was, the standard Shavemac offerings are probably more tasteful than what some of us ordered (I mean me), and I found whenever I specified a custom loft it did not improve the brush compared to the loft Bernd would spec. There’s some merit to trusting the professionals.

I can also imagine, with Thäter sadly closed, there is an opportunity for another good German brushmaker to fill this unmet demand - and Shavemac made the handles for Thäter so they are the natural choice. To many people the brushes were very similar, though I think I found Thäter knots to be different. Same style, though.

Top Bottom