What's new

Shavemac Closing

My apologies if this is redundant, but I just received the Shavemac Newsletter and it appears they're closing down as of February 29, 2024.

Screenshot attached.

Kindest regards.
Screenshot_20240111-110842_Gmail.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
First Thater and now Shavemac. What a loss for the German brush community
It is not a problem of the German brush industry, Vielong in Spain also closed down.
The problem is that the majority of wet shavers now looking for cheap, cheap and the Chinese filling this void. So, great old companies that created excellent shaving brushes are not longer able to keep up with this cheap trend. I also see this in the last years. I also fear others will also close down, here in the US Mozingo is gone and I also think that Brad Sears is closing down as it was announced here already. We have to thank for this to ourselves.....

It is not a problem of the German brush industry, Vielong in Spain also closed down.
The problem is that the majority of wet shavers now looking for cheap, cheap and the Chinese filling this void. So, great old companies that created excellent shaving brushes are not longer able to keep up with this cheap trend. I also see this in the last years. I also fear others will also close down, here in the US Mozingo is gone and I also think that Brad Sears is closing down as it was announced here already. We have to thank for this to ourselves.....
Well said. I had no idea Vielong closed. I can see that with Yaqi taking off. I've tried to do my part by carefully selecting who I buy from and choosing quality over quantity

This is not a "new" trend. Looking for best value comes naturally and it is in our genes. Certain manufacturers are flooding the market with cheap brushes, although their prices have risen (as in doubled) in the passed year or so.
This whole "trend" is called competition. Some make it, some don't. Adapt, or disappear. It is a law of nature, I suppose.
It is very sad to hear about Shavemac and I wish them the best. I visited their configurator the other day, as I was planning to put an order.

Agreed.

Thankfully we still have small operations like yours making high quality brushes.

I would hazard a guess if even you decided to try to grow substantially in the last few years (hire a few employees, rent a large office space, additional machinery, etc.), you might be feeling pain as well. Hard to compete with offshore labour and Amazon’s instant gratification model.

I will keep using, enjoying and buying European, Canadian and American made brushes exclusively in any case. And one last ShaveMac custom of course. 👍

But to each their own, you get what you pay for and all that. 🤷‍♂️

I got the email from Shavemac too and I’m still not sure what it means. It’s clear that the configurator is going away, but the rest of the email sounds like Bernd is retiring or scaling back, though it doesn’t actually say so (nor does it say he isn’t).

I know it isn’t really proper for you to announce things on Bernd’s behalf, @Rudy Vey, but do you have any sense of what we can expect regarding Shavemac brush production going forward?

I hope the company is able to continue in some form going forward, even with very limited options. I recently got a custom synthetic brush from them and it's great. I may order one more before they close the configurator.

Top Bottom