What's new

Shave Soap Stick(s) - Why?

Well, if and when that happens, I guess that I will just give my business to Derby, Cella, Speick La Toja or Tabac. Fortunately, theres still parts of the world where you can find shave soaps that dont cost $20 or more.
I personally dont mind the scent of Arko and I dont think Arko is trying to go after the high-end artisan part of the market, who demands of a variety of luxury scents.

I don't mind particularly Arko's scent either, but i would have preferred if the scent was a bit more toned down or if they had a simple synthetic lemon scent. I prefer plain lemon. I agree with everything you wrote.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Of course, the way things are going, instead of a second scent, it's more probable that in a few years we will see the demise of Arko and substituted by "vegan Arko".

Hopefully the region of the world that comes from is not so caught up in such nonsense.

Hopefully the region of the world that comes from is not so caught up in such nonsense.
Yeah, I dont see that happening either. Vegan soaps dont seem to have taken hold in Europe like they have here in the states and Arko would be nuts to mess with the forumula they currently have.
Say what you want about the scent but I dont think anyone questions the performance of Arko's tallow base.

Arko is a good stick that's for sure. When I was trying to get the hang of soap sticks and I was having a hard time with it, Arko was the first soap that I got great results from followed by Tabac. The top 2 performers in my book.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Arko is a good stick that's for sure. When I was trying to get the hang of soap sticks and I was having a hard time with it, Arko was the first soap that I got great results from followed by Tabac. The top 2 performers in my book.

Arko is a great first stick. It's a can't fail lather and a high quality soap. It can serve well as a baseline for comparing others.

M

member 119848

with any soap, make them yourself! :001_smile
D238C6F4-A774-43C4-B669-468F07C97FEF.jpeg B9D656B6-D8E6-4903-852B-B39223C0582D.jpeg

All the shave sticks I've used end up getting grated into a bowl. I just don't like the feeling of a rock hard piece of soap being rubbed against my whiskers when I can load soap from the puck faster anyway. I hate bowl-lathering too, the other end of the spectrum.

M

member 119848

I don't do shave sticks, but that, sir, is ingenious!
Thank you! It can be done easier, by re-using a deo stick container (or a glue stick tube).
I sacrificed the marinade injector because since I became vegan, I won´t do any roasted turkeys and briskets anymore.:001_smile

I have two west coast shaving twist up shave soap containers that I will PIF to a couple of people. Grate or slice the puck or stick to load and press in with a few drops of water if dry (Palmolive). PM me if interested.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I have two west coast shaving twist up shave soap containers that I will PIF to a couple of people. ...
Nice! I could use a new stick container (current one is a repurposed deodorant stick) but will buy one down the road, as shipping to Canada is crazy for something like this.

All the shave sticks I've used end up getting grated into a bowl. I just don't like the feeling of a rock hard piece of soap being rubbed against my whiskers when I can load soap from the puck faster anyway. I hate bowl-lathering too, the other end of the spectrum.

I couldn’t have said it better.

I’m still trying to figure out what I’m missing with sticks and the cult-like following they have. Oh, and I also dislike bowl lathering.

I couldn’t have said it better.

I’m still trying to figure out what I’m missing with sticks and the cult-like following they have. Oh, and I also dislike bowl lathering.

It's the simplicity I think, which I completely understand, especially to those traveling. But if I'm home, I want my shave to be cozy :D

Say what you want about the scent but I dont think anyone questions the performance of Arko's tallow base.
I do! For me, it's not the scent that is the issue. While I won't miss the scent, I found the shaves to be lacking. The performance was so weak that I almost threw it out after each shave--partly because it's the most drying soap I've encountered to date. It might actually dry my skin out more than Dawn would.

In short, I find that Arko performs like one would expect the bargain bin soaps to perform. But I will admit that it seems a bit more consistent than Williams. My lovely SV may be far more expensive but, as they say, life is too short for bad shaves. :001_smile

I tried the Arko stick when I first started out wet shaving, exactly because it was cheap. I was in college at that point and saving money was my motivation to switch to safety razor shaving. No offense to the fans, I couldn’t get past the scent, bad association.
That was years ago and I hadn’t touched a shave stick since. Until recently I picked up a Tabac shave stick. That’s one contentious scent I enjoy and I thought it might be good for travel. I wish I hadn’t waited so long, because SHAVE STICKS ARE AWESOME!
It’s super fast and easy to get a great lather. I thought I’d only use it when traveling, but now I use it whenever I’m a little rushed in morning and even if I’m not. The Tabac stick is definitely in my permanent rotation. I’ll probably add another brand to my cart the next time make an order, maybe the Harris or La Toja.

Top Bottom