What's new

Shave Soap Stick(s) - Why?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sticks work well, but I only use 'em when traveling. I like bowl-lathering too well.

It's a Zen thing. When you look into the lather, the lather looks into you. :chinese: Apologies to FN

AA

Ive tried a few sticks - and have liked them all (La Toja, Wilkinson Sword, Arko) and to be fair they are the best option if you are into face lathering - as ALL the work is done on the face with the brush. I love it, its very retro and that suits me.

And the other day, a stick of the TOBS Sandalwood arrived. Oh my goodness. The lather is tremendous!! The stick itself is kinda soft, more like that infamous description we all like to use around here - croap - and I laterally got a thick, silky yogurt like consistency, the shave was out of this world. Slickness to die form and the scent is also wonderful, unlike the herbal soap puck, the stick smells just like the famous cream.

But the best part - the post shave feel. Well, when I use/try out a new soap I do not use a balm/splash the first time, I want to see how the soap moisturizes and protects my face. Cutting a long story short. No stickiness whatsoever, and 24 hours on, my skin still feels moist, soft and wonderfully moisturized. A brilliant after shave feel.

This soap will be my go to product from now on, travelling or no travelling!

Anyone else used this stuff?

Wee Scot also travels with me . For the past several years I have brought along Arko or Palmolive, but I have bought 2 sticks of La Toja to try for this year's vacations.

My favorite travel set up is La Toja stick with my Wee Scot: great lather every time with no muss or fuss!!

This also works well at home!! :a14::a14:

What more can you want from Tabac. I guess some people don’t care for the sent, so try HR Harris, Arlington. Another excellent tallow stick.

Ive tried a few sticks - and have liked them all (La Toja, Wilkinson Sword, Arko) and to be fair they are the best option if you are into face lathering - as ALL the work is done on the face with the brush. I love it, its very retro and that suits me.

And the other day, a stick of the TOBS Sandalwood arrived. Oh my goodness. The lather is tremendous!! The stick itself is kinda soft, more like that infamous description we all like to use around here - croap - and I laterally got a thick, silky yogurt like consistency, the shave was out of this world. Slickness to die form and the scent is also wonderful, unlike the herbal soap puck, the stick smells just like the famous cream.

But the best part - the post shave feel. Well, when I use/try out a new soap I do not use a balm/splash the first time, I want to see how the soap moisturizes and protects my face. Cutting a long story short. No stickiness whatsoever, and 24 hours on, my skin still feels moist, soft and wonderfully moisturized. A brilliant after shave feel.

This soap will be my go to product from now on, traveling or no traveling!
Anyone else used this stuff?

I love sticks also. I have tried the puck of TOBS Sandalwood and didn't like it but I never tried one of their sticks.
Sticks rule.

Sticks are easy to use. Wet the end of the stick, rub it on your face (I do vertical then horizontal) and on the tip of the wet brush and lather up. If needed, add water to the brush tip and lather again. I don’t see a downside.

You can use a shave stick with your hands if you want, it just takes a bit longer and the lather isnt as pillowy. You can make it work though.
I personally like shave sticks not so much for travel but because they are such a great value. When you can buy 12 sticks of Arko for $12, thats tough to beat, especially when you have so many artisan soaps now that are in the $20-25 range.

Because they are efficient and work well (once you realize how easy it is to over apply) :a13:
Yup. And it's also really easy to tell when the lather is perfectly hydrated to the desired level if you hydrate it while it's on your face. You can really dial in the feel of the lather with face lathering.

My favorite travel set up is La Toja stick with my Wee Scot: great lather every time with no muss or fuss!!

This also works well at home!! :a14::a14:

That's my exact travel setup! Great taste.

I don't use sticks at home, though. Not sure why, but I grate them up into a bowl and use them like regular pucks. But they're hard to beat for travel, especially that la toja stick with the convenient plastic tube.

You can use a shave stick with your hands if you want, it just takes a bit longer and the lather isnt as pillowy. You can make it work though.
I personally like shave sticks not so much for travel but because they are such a great value. When you can buy 12 sticks of Arko for $12, thats tough to beat, especially when you have so many artisan soaps now that are in the $20-25 range.

If the company that makes Arko, decided to make a 2nd scent for the stick, Arko would ruin many other companies. I think the scent is repulsive to newer generations that haven't grown up smelling Marseille's laundry soap and so they call Arko "urinal cake", because nowdays women turn on the washing machine even of a single blouse to wash.

Back in the old days, i still remember my mother saying to me, when i was returning from play all dirty "Take out your t-shirt, where were you rolling around in dirt again? Oh, since it's just one, i will wash it by hand". And then the smell of Arko (Marseille's soap). Younger generations (where many women don't even have the notion of washing by hand) don't know that smell from its origins, so the best next thing they can think of, is "urinal cake".

So Arko should just make a variation of the smell and commercialize the same stick with new scent. This would keep everyone happy.

Of course, the way things are going, instead of a second scent, it's more probable that in a few years we will see the demise of Arko and substituted by "vegan Arko".

If the company that makes Arko, decided to make a 2nd scent for the stick, Arko would ruin many other companies. I think the scent is repulsive to newer generations that haven't grown up smelling Marseille's laundry soap and so they call Arko "urinal cake", because nowdays women turn on the washing machine even of a single blouse to wash.

Back in the old days, i still remember my mother saying to me, when i was returning from play all dirty "Take out your t-shirt, where were you rolling around in dirt again? Oh, since it's just one, i will wash it by hand". And then the smell of Arko (Marseille's soap). Younger generations (where many women don't even have the notion of washing by hand) don't know that smell from its origins, so the best next thing they can think of, is "urinal cake".

So Arko should just make a variation of the smell and commercialize the same stick with new scent. This would keep everyone happy.

Of course, the way things are going, instead of a second scent, it's more probable that in a few years we will see the demise of Arko and substituted by "vegan Arko".
Well, if and when that happens, I guess that I will just give my business to Derby, Cella, Speick La Toja or Tabac. Fortunately, theres still parts of the world where you can find shave soaps that dont cost $20 or more.
I personally dont mind the scent of Arko and I dont think Arko is trying to go after the high-end artisan part of the market, who demands of a variety of luxury scents.

Top Bottom