What's new

Shave Soap Stick(s) - Why?

I’ve heard so many people talk up soap sticks for travel over the years, I figured I just had to get one! It took ten or so years, but I did it! I got my first soap stick. A stick of Mühle Sea Buckthorn!

C5CFC5CE-13C1-441A-806A-89F35BA50ED4.jpeg

But now I just don’t know why?

I mean as I applied it to my face I kept wondering if I’d gotten enough on before I used the brush. Then when I capitulated and put brush to face to see what would happen - well there was an explosion! An explosion of soap! On my face, on my mirror, my counter etc., etc! Moreover, I kept on adding more and more water to make it creamy, but it took forever to reduce it from a tacky mess - and remember, there was soap everywhere lol! Maybe I picked the wrong brush to use. Actually, I know I did but whatever, you live and learn eh lol!

Which is all to say that this is probably the most efficient way to lather i’ve ever come across! Great if you’re counting the penny’s. I mean I did not have to reapply. There was enough soap on the brush for all three passes - and it looked like the stick didn’t even get used! Which I guess is good.

But its not like it’s really any better for travel is it? I mean wouldn’t a small container of cream that you could lather up with your hands be more travel friendly? At least you wouldn’t need the brush anymore.

I don’t know, it was a pretty entertaining shave! I love the novelty of it. The efficiency means I’ll probably have this stick going on forever, but I’m not sure I “liked” it lol. And I certainly don’t see why it’d be better than cream for travel.

Why do you like using the stick?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve heard so many people talk up soap sticks for travel over the years, I figured I just had to get one! It took ten or so years, but I did it! I got my first soap stick. A stick of Mühle Sea Buckthorn!

View attachment 980279

But now I just don’t know why?

I mean as I applied it to my face I kept wondering if I’d gotten enough on before I used the brush. Then when I capitulated and put brush to face to see what would happen - well there was an explosion! An explosion of soap! On my face, on my mirror, my counter etc., etc! Moreover, I kept on adding more and more water to make it creamy, but it took forever to reduce it from a tacky mess - and remember, there was soap everywhere lol! Maybe I picked the wrong brush to use. Actually, I know I did but whatever, you live and learn eh lol!

Which is all to say that this is probably the most efficient way to lather i’ve ever come across! Great if you’re counting the penny’s. I mean I did not have to reapply. There was enough soap on the brush for all three passes - and it looked like the stick didn’t even get used! Which I guess is good.

But its not like it’s really any better for travel is it? I mean wouldn’t a small container of cream that you could lather up with your hands be more travel friendly? At least you wouldn’t need the brush anymore.

I don’t know, it was a pretty entertaining shave! I love the novelty of it. The efficiency means I’ll probably have this stick going on forever, but I’m not sure I “liked” it lol. And I certainly don’t see why it’d be better than cream for travel.

Why do you like using the stick?
Because they are efficient and work well (once you realize how easy it is to over apply) :a13:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They work, many use this method even with pucks of soap. My puck of Wilkinson Sword got smaller than the soap holder and when I tried to load it, it just spun around making it hard to lather. Now I use the Shave Stick method and no problems anymore.

Why are they perfect for travel you figure?
There is no brush to soap loading, and they take up very little space in your dopp kit. A brush doesn't take up much room either. I usually take a synthetic brush because they dry quicker.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

A stick of Mühle Sea Buckthorn!
A favourite restaurant of mine served a "Sea Buckthorn Fizz" beverage when they were in season.
My God, it was tasty.
I bet it tastes a lot better than the Mühle soap stick.
At least you wouldn’t need the brush anymore.
Where's the fun in that? :001_huh:

Williams Mug is great in stick form too.
or

A favourite restaurant of mine served a "Sea Buckthorn Fizz" beverage when they were in season.
My God, it was tasty.
I bet it tastes a lot better than the Mühle soap stick.

Where's the fun in that? :001_huh:

Williams Mug is great in stick form too.
or
Honestly, the only reason I buy the Sea Buckthorn is because of the scent. I love the scent! It makes me want to eat it.

I use the arko stick daily, easier for me than loading in a mug and one less thing to take when traveling. I need to get more stick soaps to try out but Arko just keeps going and going...

My favorite travel set up is La Toja stick with my Wee Scot: great lather every time with no muss or fuss!!

This also works well at home!! :a14::a14:

I use sticks a lot for travel, and one just lives in my dopp bag. They are easy to use and take up very little space. My favorites are La Toja, Speick, and DR Harris.

I turn sticks into a puck. I don't enjoy so much pressing the hard soap on the skin. I don't have a problem making lather using a synthetic brush.

Last time I travelled by air I took an used tube of CADE Shaving Cream, it had less than the half of it. This time the TSA (or their equivalent here) argued me that the tube stated 150 ml. and it was over the 100 ml. limit for liquids and the cream was close to a liquid. I could argue that it was less than half but better not to argue with someone with that attitude for half a tube of cream, not worth it. Then as I was shaving with canned foam I realized that with my Palmolive stick this wouldn´t happened. Now is the only thing I use, and in the Colgate Handy Grip canister it also looks so good and cool!

IMG_1176.JPG

Cheers

Last time I travelled by air I took an used tube of CADE Shaving Cream, it had less than the half of it. This time the TSA (or their equivalent here) argued me that the tube stated 150 ml. and it was over the 100 ml. limit for liquids and the cream was close to a liquid. I could argue that it was less than half but better not to argue with someone with that attitude for half a tube of cream, not worth it. Then as I was shaving with canned foam I realized that with my Palmolive stick this wouldn´t happened. Now is the only thing I use, and in the Colgate Handy Grip canister it also looks so good and cool!

View attachment 980512

Cheers
Now that's a legitimate reason right there.

They are good for travel, but no better than some of my smaller soap dishes which take up the same amount of room.

I face lather 99% of the time, so not having a scuttle isn't an issue for me.

Perfect for travel and lasts a really long time. My box of Arko, several palmolive sticks, a couple of Tabacs and La Toja is probably more than 2 lifetimes supply.

Top Bottom