What's new

Shame on you Jet blue!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If the girl and mother were across the aisle from me, and all the child wanted was her father close by, I would swap seats. I am surpised no one thought of doing that. A really simple solution, I think. People are too wrapped up in themselves anymore.
I just think it's terrible the equate an autistic meltdown with a temper tantrum....it's not even close

I find that there's a large portion of people who think they understand what the "norm" should be, and have very little compassion for anyone who doesn't fit their perceived "norm".

Whatever happened to common sense and a little human compassion/decency. As another posted noted, a simple seat change and problem solved.

I am astonished that they simply didn't tell the people seated next to the child that they needed to move so the parents could be with her. I will say that as a father who has flown with his daughter, there have been times when I am at the mercy of begging people sitting next to me or my daughter to swap seats so that we can be together. I have found that flights are so full that airline staff can't offer any real assistance beyond saying, "I would talk to the people sitting next to you." Fortunately, I have had excellent experiences so far.

Too many people are inconsiderate. They only care about themselves. I wish more people would look out for the person next to them.

Is there any way that we could arrange flights with only B&B members on board? The skies would be a much better place.

Just Imagine the poor TSA agents checking all those razors for blades, and the agent at the scanner, fat boy, tech, tech, tech, slim, DE89L, Derby,
hey wait we have to pull those blades.
There to dull to cut anything Merkur, superspeed, Tech,

and the poor stewardess, no, sorry I really can't feel how close your shave is right now, will all of you please return to your seats we can not have all of you in the back of the plane giving each other shaving tips at the same time. What is that smell?!
What is Vege and Arko ?

Just Imagine the poor TSA agents checking all those razors for blades, and the agent at the scanner, fat boy, tech, tech, tech, slim, DE89L, Derby,
hey wait we have to pull those blades.
There to dull to cut anything Merkur, superspeed, Tech,

and the poor stewardess, no, sorry I really can't feel how close your shave is right now, will all of you please return to your seats we can not have all of you in the back of the plane giving each other shaving tips at the same time. What is that smell?!
What is Vege and Arko ?

Lol...hadn't thought of that. Veg users to the back of the plane...the rest of you here's a barf bag!

we all wore the VEG and I think the ABC detectors in the airport are going to go off

$ImageForArticle_3205(1).jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just think it's terrible the equate an autistic meltdown with a temper tantrum....it's not even close

The end result is the same, regardless of the cause. The plane isn't going to take off if the child isn't buckled in, and she refused to do that.
Perhaps a seat change could have resolved this, obviously the family could have suggested this once the child became distraught but they did not according to the mother in her interviews.

Or better yet, perhaps the family could have followed the posted instructions about traveling with special needs children and called with the advanced warning necessary to ensure they all sat together, instead of springing it on Jet Blue as they were checking in for a nearly full flight.

A sad event indeed. It seems the flight crew couldn't think of a solution, and it seems the family, who knows the child very well, couldn't think of a solution.

To arbitrarily say "shame on Jet Blue" seems to be another example of how people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions or lack of action, and want to blame someone else.

There's enough blame here to spread around, and if there's enough to say "Shame on Jet Blue" for taking them off the flight, there's enough to say "Shame on the family" for not providing the necessary advanced warning as requested by the airlines for special needs children.

Until I hear some evidence other than the story or video provided in this thread, Jet Blue is more in the wrong, and here's why.

Should the family have called ahead of time? Yes.
Do I feel like that's the only way this situation could have been handled in regards to calling ahead vs. asking to be seated together vs. what happened on the plane? NO
Jet blue could have tried to handle the situation as it arose. From the story and video provided, there seems to be nothing that happened from Jet Blues perspective, to try and remedy the situation, other than remove them from the flight. At least nothing was mentioned in the story or video.

A simple announcement from the flight crew saying *ding*" Ladies and gentlemen, we have a young girl with special needs that just wants to fly and sit next to her daddy. Would anyone be willing to switch seats so we could make that happen?"

Until someone gives me concrete proof that the above statement happened and passengers refused to switch seats, it's on Jet blue.

Jet blue is responsible for their own property. They could have made an attempt to make things right, instead of just getting rid of the perceived nuisance. Again, if evidence that jet blue made an attempt to fix the situation comes to light, I may change my mind, but going off what we have here, Jet blue dropped the ball.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Until I hear some evidence other than the story or video provided in this thread, Jet Blue is more in the wrong, and here's why.

Should the family have called ahead of time? Yes.
Do I feel like that's the only way this situation could have been handled in regards to calling ahead vs. asking to be seated together vs. what happened on the plane? NO
Jet blue could have tried to handle the situation as it arose. From the story and video provided, there seems to be nothing that happened from Jet Blues perspective, to try and remedy the situation, other than remove them from the flight. At least nothing was mentioned in the story or video.

A simple announcement from the flight crew saying *ding*" Ladies and gentlemen, we have a young girl with special needs that just wants to fly and sit next to her daddy. Would anyone be willing to switch seats so we could make that happen?"

Until someone gives me concrete proof that the above statement happened and passengers refused to switch seats, it's on Jet blue.

Jet blue is responsible for their own property. They could have made an attempt to make things right, instead of just getting rid of the perceived nuisance. Again, if evidence that jet blue made an attempt to fix the situation comes to light, I may change my mind, but going off what we have here, Jet blue dropped the ball.

Fortunately for Jet Blue, they don't need to provide concrete evidence to you.

While I agree with previous posters that we have become a society less willing to help others, I also believe we have become a society so wrapped in Political Correctness fear that it's viewed as "improper" to say any fault lies with a member of a special group. In this case the family of a child with autism.

The family knows the child. The family is familiar with the manifestations of her condition. The family is responsible for the well being and the care of the child.
It;s the families responsibility to ensure that they have properly set up travel to accomodate THEIR child. Not the airline.

Could the airline have done something else? Possibly. Probably. Is it their responsibility? No
Should the family have prepared properly for the travel of a special needs child? Yes. Did they? No.
Could the family have suggested a seat change with someone else on the plane? Yes. Did they? Apparently not according to the mother.

Could the family have taken the next flight, since they didn't tell the airline in advance that they needed to sit together? Yes. Did they? Obviously not.

Knowing Full well that they had a special needs child, didn't call in advance, and were not going to be able to sit together, they should have said "Look, let us take the next flight so we can all sit together". Did they do that?
Again, obviously not.

Top Bottom