What's new

September 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in!!
Friday September 29, 2023
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts Omega
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts
Razor: Henson AL13 Aggressive
Blade: Kai

IMG_5390.jpg

"Have what you need and use what you have."
( I like JAHE's condensed title )

PXL_20230929_143859354.jpg

Hey Guys
This is day 3 of 3 using and appreciating what I have. It has been like a short trip down memory lane.

The "NEW" Neutrogena shave cream is maybe 8 years old - long before I started wet shaving. It is intended to be applied with finger tips but I squirted it in a bowl and applied it with my small boar brush that I had forgotten I had. The stand has been in a closet for over two years and the QSHAVE razor has also been unused for over two years. I think it is a cheaper copycat of the Merkur Futur. I used setting 4 of 6 because it has a lot of blade exposure. I have to admit the build quality of the razor is very good but two years ago I was not comfortable with the blade exposure. Today I enjoyed the shave.

It has been fun and a thoughtful 3 day experience to become re-acquainted with items on a "gotta have" spending spree when I started this meaningful and enjoyable hobby. Kathy just told me I ought to use the Clubman after shave more ofter. I think I am going to keep the stand on the counter and re-join the Shave of the Week Society (SWS) tomorrow.

Still in GRUME & GRUYERE
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still In !
- No Shave Today -

While building a pre-pack checklist for my upcoming trip, I paid particular attention to a supplemental monitor stand for one of my laptops. It's a repurposed box which came with some sugary treats, of which their internal containers were also repurposed.

full

Having been an active part of GRUME for over a year given me full appreciation of what I found inside.
Perfect complement for my travel kit, and now affords me the opportunity to upgrade my Tabactober entry for this year and further participate in SOTM - I love it when a plan comes together...
full

"Have what you need and use what you have."
( I like JAHE's condensed title )
Doesn't HWYNAUWYH sound like the the cry of a native tribal...?

All together now...
🎶🎶🎶
H WY NAU WYH...
... H WY NAU WYH...
... H WYN AU WYH ...

tribal ellen page GIF by GAYCATION with Ellen Page and Ian Daniel

Besides...
Still in...!
20230929_180319-01.jpeg

Another set of stuff, which I haven't used at all in 2023 ...:facep:

Overall, a very enjoyable shave. All components of the shave worked very well together. Two smooth passes and touchups and my skin felt almost BBS again.

I definitely will include the New LC in my rotation for OCtober... but I'll polish the top cap first until the reddish brass comes back to life, since the cap has suffered quite a bit from wear in the recent 90 years... stay tuned.

Cheers!
Guido

Last edited:
SOTD SEPTEMBER 29th
SEPTEMBER 2023 GRUME

Hello friends!

Inspired by John’s @tjsgarden great idea. , today I turned to items that I haven't used in years and some for decades.

First, I grabbed my old friend from 1983, the Simpsons Keyhole 2 Best Badger. Then the old Crabtree & Evelyn soap from the 90s and the very little used Wilkinson Sword Classic with the blade that came with it. To finish with the same vibe, Nivea Deep AS.

With us, a genius, Bill Evans.

Thank you very much, dear John!

Rating: 9

Have a nice day and great shaves.
❤️🪒

FF4EB688-08A4-4D9B-98DA-F14FB781F352.jpeg
IMG_1936.jpeg

Still in, down to a day.

Shave Date 9/29/23
GRUME September: 29/30
Razor:
Rockwell 6c Plate 3
Blade: Personna Platinum
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: PAA Black Shroud
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayers, Razor Emporium Heritage Balm, PAA Aloha Smackdown
Bowl: Douglas Smith Pottery Suribachi Shaving Bowl
Rating: 9.0/10 BBS Cheeks and DFS- on the neck. 0 weepers.

Notes here.

Another fine shave. I wasn't fond of the scents of the soap or the aftershave. Good thing the aftershave was only a sample. The aftershave smelt like pineapple juice, the scent of the soap was supposed to be based on Dean Martin's scent of choice. I guess me and Dino don't see eye to eye on this particular scent. It smelt too soapy. Anywho, back to work.

Have a blessed day, may all your shaves be BBS, nick, and weeper free.

IMG_1242.jpeg

Still out but ready to try again next month

SOTD: 09/29/2023

Razor: Asylum Rx-v2
Blade: Feather AC,4th use
Brush: Rudy Vey “Barbie” STF Knot
Preshave: Proraso White
Soap: Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe
Aftershave: Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe
Additional Care: Maggard’s Alum Block
Additional Care: Dickinson's Witch Hazel w/Rosewater
Fragrance: YSL Body Kouros EdT
IMG_5969.jpeg

Still in. For today’s use what I have I selected my other early postwar Tech. This is the gold fat handled version. I convinced myself that it didn’t shave as well as its more attractive silver skinny handled sister, but today proved me wrong. I had the face lathering dialed in, and got a 9.8 shave.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.jpeg
    IMG_2778.jpeg
    957 KB · Views: 7
Date30.09.2023
365 daily shaves
273/365
GRUME September
30/30
SOTMC
30/30
Blade Biter’s Archive05/32

RazorBladeBrush
F: GEM Featherweight
H: Schick G1
GEM (4)
Schick Plus (13?)
Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
LavandaCold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (One user error)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Still in! And another GRUME successfully completed!! Yeah! Congrats to all who made it and celebrations to those who got new stuff but still managed a 2x/30!

Summary - Finishing SEptember with this very fine GEM. I love it! The Schick is the best razor for my head. Absolutely amazing.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in!

I'm not sure if I'll shave today. Perhaps I'll save some stubble for the start of Tab-OC-tober 😊 I'll use Tabac for every second shave, same goes for the open comb razors...

Anyway, another GRUME month is in the books. Nine months straight in terms of restraint will be completed today, too.

I'm pretty satisfied with this result, the journey has been a rather relaxed one for me. The most important part of this enjoyment and distraction from buying just the next best thing is due to you fine guys! This thread absolutely has become a favourite of mine in course of the last two years.
The level of comrady and the sense of community over here is second to none. So I may take the chance to say "thank you" to all the participants...

Now, enjoy your weekend shaves!
Looking forward to meeting you in October (or November) GRUME.

Cheers
Guido

Still out 😠

So, I had to see an insurance doctor, to look at the pace to resume my job. I must say my long covid slowly disappears, even though I still have some cognitive and physical issues.

Anyway: you do not want to look like a homeless in such a meeting, so I grabbed the Chinese Futur clone, already loaded with the Croma I used last weekend for a quick beard shave. I should have known this blade was going to seek its revenge after me destroying it in my last report. The quick shave turned into a small bloodbath. A nick and a weeper.

The nick on my chin closed after using my vintage alum block, but the weeper on my cheek wouldn't stop bleeding, not even after I applied a decent amount of alum chrystals. Time was running out, but the cut kept bleeding, no matter the amount of alum. I may be semi demented at times, due to this long covid, but my brain does its job most of the time. I remembered ice cubes can narrow the blood vessels, so I got a cold pack from the freezer... et voila: the bleeding stopped.

A narrow escape. The lesson learned: I must keep ditching every blade after using it once. I tried to use blades for more than one complete beard and head shave, but it has rarely worked for me, let alone with a completely useless tin can scrapped blade like the Croma.

Peace, brethren 🙏🏽

Top Bottom