What's new

September 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
SOTD
I'm doing my best to polish off this ABC croap. It's nice enough, but having used it after a month of Arko, I have to say: I miss Arko. I had wonderful lathers, no nicks and no irritation. In the few days that I've been using ABC, I tried going ATG on my neck - no problem with Arko, problem with ABC - and received a few nicks for my trouble. I also skipped the ATG and still got a couple of small nicks. Since the razor has stayed the same, tt seems that Arko, at roughly 2% of the price, is a better soap (for me).

Still, I'll power through. I don't like to waste.
How much is left? I'll trade you a brand new stick of Arko for an open tub of Antica Barbieria Colla cream. In fact, if it is more than 3/4 full I'll give you TWO sticks of Arko, because that's the kind of guy I am.

Checking in with my SOTD. No temptations to buy currently, I still have some July/August purchases trickling in through the mail to keep me busy. I'm using this period to rationalise my gear too.

P9053973 (2).JPG

Shave of the day:

Razor: titanium Timeless .95 sb
Blade: Feather
Soap: Talbot Island in the Sun
A/S: Maol Grooming Island in the Sun
Brush: Custom Shavemac Synthetic
Bowl: Timeless

For the past few weeks I had used a .68 scalloped Timeless and was able to shave daily without any irritation. I think the .95 might be a tad too aggressive for my skin to use on a daily basis. Might just need to work on my technique though. Going to give it at least a week straight of daily shaves though before making a final decision.

IMG_20200905_140616~3.jpg

1)FoolishMortal
2)JWCowboy
3)Timeclo
4)ajduplessis
5)RTM
6)Kyle89
7)cryhavoc
8)Schnitzel52
9)Sotiris_A
10)SillyPancake
11)BigD
12) RookieGuy
13) stuartganis
14) Owen Bawn
15) 4and20blackbirds
16) Dezryder
17) Chef455
18) mattps1
19) pbrmhl
20) Wgg2017
21) Ravenonrock
22) SharpieB
23) Vaporstang
24) ‘Bout Time

Better late than never. I’m in.

And here’s the SEptember setup, I’ve been using past few days:

2D33B22B-A59E-49B6-A79E-0EF5179129C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Still in. Wish I had photos. I'm expecting to be retired next week, so I plan to make photos of my shave-of-the-day. Today was ATT SE2 with a Feather Pro Super, Grooming Spa pre-shave, Brad Sears badger brush, Stone Cottage Pipe Tobacco shaving cream, Dirty Bird scuttle and Declaration B Cubed aftershave. Tremendous shave. Enjoy your holiday weekend, Americans! And weekends everywhere else!

1)FoolishMortal
2)JWCowboy
3)Timeclo
4)ajduplessis
5)RTM
6)Kyle89
7)cryhavoc
8)Schnitzel52
9)Sotiris_A
10)SillyPancake
11)BigD
12) RookieGuy
13) stuartganis
14) Owen Bawn
15) 4and20blackbirds
16) Dezryder
17) Chef455
18) mattps1
19) pbrmhl
20) Wgg2017
21) Ravenonrock
22) SharpieB
23) Vaporstang
24) ‘Bout Time
25) Roedeer

It's the 6th already, and I still haven't bought anything, so I'll join the party.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, KoS Blue oil
Soap: Arko, bowl-lathered
Brush: Cheap Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84, Astra SP #7, GC.68, Boots #7
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase lotion.

Using both the Game Changers is like having a GC that is adjustable, a hard combination to beat. The '84 does all the WTG and easy stuff, and the '68 does the ATG and tidy-up.

Arggghhh! Epic fail on my part. #23 is out. 😖😖😖

Last night I was having a couple of weekend whiskeys 🥃 🥃 🥃 and saw a shaving mug I liked. Researched a couple of sites, and made the purchase. I wasn't even thinking about my monthly restraint. I certainly would have held off. It wasn't until the middle of the night that I realized my mistake. LOL

My mindset was more on major purchases and things I am interested in. I certainly was not in the hunt for any more shaving mugs. I didn't even make it until the 6th day.

I will try next month.....

1)FoolishMortal
2)JWCowboy
3)Timeclo
4)ajduplessis
5)RTM
6)Kyle89
7)cryhavoc
8)Schnitzel52
9)Sotiris_A
10)SillyPancake
11)BigD
12) RookieGuy
13) stuartganis
14) Owen Bawn
15) 4and20blackbirds
16) Dezryder
17) Chef455
18) mattps1
19) pbrmhl
20) Wgg2017
21) Ravenonrock
22) SharpieB
23) Vaporstang
24) ‘Bout Time
25) Roedeer

Last edited:
Still in. Wish I had photos. I'm expecting to be retired next week, so I plan to make photos of my shave-of-the-day. Today was ATT SE2 with a Feather Pro Super, Grooming Spa pre-shave, Brad Sears badger brush, Stone Cottage Pipe Tobacco shaving cream, Dirty Bird scuttle and Declaration B Cubed aftershave. Tremendous shave. Enjoy your holiday weekend, Americans! And weekends everywhere else!
Congrats, I envy you!

Top Bottom