What's new

Sending funds to B/S/T sellers.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've been away I guess from the ins & outs .. but as pointed out in the above posts there's a very good reason for the buyer to pay as "recommended" .. wonder why the powers that be watered down the rule?

I thought that it was recommended to use Goods and Services, but against the rules to demand that someone pay with Friends and Family. But then, I haven't been keeping up with the forum rules.

Haven't seen any demanding F&F. Usually they identify to add 4% (which isn't an accurate percentage btw, its 2.9%+30 cents).

There is always the option of just walking away from the sale if someone requests F&F or adding the 4% up charge!! Just look at all the sales that have gone bad in the last couple years in FB groups...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Paying a stranger via PayPal F&F is asking to get cheated or squeezed. Unfortunate as it may be, it's the common reality, even on B&B. Any seller who demands it ought to expect pushback.

When it comes to who pays what fees, anyone wishing to deviate from the norm or the default should say so up front (e.g., shifting seller's fees to the buyer). Otherwise, you're changing the deal after the fact, and you lose a lot of credibility with me.

When the BST started- guys would send a check and the other gent the item and they crossed in the mail.
Often with the admonishment that if the did not like the item send it back.

When the BST started- guys would send a check and the other gent the item and they crossed in the mail.

Wish this was still a thing (I dont Paypal). Actually I dont because itd be bad for the wallet. The only BST deal I had was a face to face meet up, cash.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

That evokes the words of the great philosopher, Butt-Head. "The more things change, the more they suck."

I remember a few years back they changed the rules on B&B to be more strict and it scared away potential sellers.
It was around when Panjo was introduced.
Most people went away to other sites/options. And I don't think the BST ever recovered to what it used to be.
So more rules aren't always the best option.
Anyhow, the few deals I had with people domestically or internationally went really smoothly.
Most people are just regular folks trying to enjoy this hobby while getting some good deals along the way.
I think the second-market is quite important for our hobby, seeing as there is a lot of options available to us, and you can get "stuck" with quite a few things.
Also, I really hope more people would consider selling abroad at the buyers expense. I know it can be a bit of a hassle, but we miss on so many things it's a shame really.

Most folks will sell and ship abroad, it’s the cost that becomes the largest barrier. I don’t “add” extra handling fees, yet it can cost more than a single razor. I recently PIF’d a Slim overseas, it wasn’t cheap and it’s going on 2-weeks without receipt. So there are probably more than a few reasons why US-to-Europe transactions don’t happen that often.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Our BST sure isn't what once was .. but then neither are most of us.

As for selling abroad, the extra effort isn't worth it to most - and PayPal rules demand tracked shipping which is prohibitively expensive. I've sent Miller strops to Australia, a Fatboy to Norway, straights to Canada but was stopped in my tracks when a buyer demanded I undervalue the item on the customs form .. when at the same time I had to pay for insurance on the delivery, based on the value of the transaction .. just too much extra noise when shipping offshore

Sent a razor to a guy in Australia once. Went to the local (1 person-2 on busy days) post office. Handed the clerk the package...blank stare. She looks up and says, “I don’t know how to do this.” Oh....
Had to take it to an Atlanta office.
No, not too much overseas mailing in these parts.

I have bought and sold a few things on the bst. I never asked for fandf from buyers, but always got it that way. I have also always paid with Fandf.

I also should add that the items I have bought and sold were all quite inexpensive. Had it been more expensive it would change things. I can understand people just adding a few percent to cover fees... this isn’t difficult.

I can also understand not wanting to stand in line at the post office.

Top Bottom