What's new

Seiko Steel bracelets :(

Had the chance to try on a couple of Seiko Prospex today at a B&M including a 1.5k Willard and I’m seriously underwhelmed by the feel and quality of their bracelets and clasps.

They feel thin, flimsy and rattle. I know it’s a big operation and they offer their products at competitive prices but this detracts from the general quality of their watches.

On the other hand I can now better understand the business model of places like Strapcode that offer excellent milled aftermarket bands and clasps that bring your Seiko to the level it deserves.

I've never liked factory Seiko either, until you go to the grand seikos (which I can't afford). Strapcode has been my go-to, but uncle seiko is on my wishlist. Depending on the occasion I switch the strap materials often.

Seiko does a great job with their rubber straps on the prospex line imo.

I have always thought the band on my Seiko Monster is pretty good. Maybe I don't actually know what good is...lol
None of them are terrible. All are pretty decent- depending on the task. I've never actually seen any metal bracelet break in person, They can however become sorta loose (links) over time from hard use. I used to have a Seiko Monster that had those "pin in collar" links. Had a pin fallout twice, but the bracelet never actually broke. Just odd luck for me I suppose.

I switched to rubber straps for this reason, but then the rubber starts to deteriorate over time.

Anything made out of rubber is a consumable. Knowing and accepting that makes replacing said rubber strap every so often just the cost of doing business.

I tend to concur that Seiko would be a more competitive watch overall to buyers in the watch geek world if they charged 20-50 more depending on the watch and used sapphire in place of hardlex for crystals and "solidified" some of their bracelets.

500+ retail for a divers watch that has neither relative to an Orient and any number of micro brands on a daily basis and even the occasional Swiss/German/other Japanese offerings when caught on sale has me fairly sour on Seiko in this space.

Top Bottom