What's new

for Knife Sharpening Stones/ buy is closed

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes this is correct however I will note that the shipping charge will be discounted with a credit of $10. This is only fair for you international folks. :001_smile

You, sir, are a prince among men.

ATTENTION international members! (outside of CONUS)

To make a group buy purchase we will have to do a manual invoice for you versus you using our shopping cart directly. Please contact me via PM or email.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience.

Dave

I suspect there's more inconvenience at your end, having to do this manually, but I'm going to send you a PM anyhow. :001_cool:

This seems like a great deal!

One question, on behalf of the "international" customers. What region code is the DVD? Some of may have issues if it is Region 1.

Can you play Region 1 DVDs on your computer? That might be a solution ...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As I mentioned above my preference for stone flattening is a coarse diamond plate (140x) but I've found that finer grit stones work more efficiently if their surface is smoothed over so for stone in the >4k range I follow the diamond plate with a 6000x synthetic nagura. I chose to use a nagura because it doesn't stick but a finer grit ATOMA plate like the ATOMA 600x would also work great here as well.

One question ... how do I use the 600x synthetic nagura? From its size, I would expect to lay the stone down, and then rub the nagura on top of it, kind of like using a giant slurry stone. Is that about the size of it?

Legion

Staff member
Can you play Region 1 DVDs on your computer? That might be a solution ...[/QUOTE]

No, computer DVD players are region coded as well. There is software to get around the problem, but it gets a little complicated. No matter, there is a good chance it is region 0, most instructional DVD's being sold around the world are. but I just thought I better check in case someone has an issue.

One question ... how do I use the 600x synthetic nagura? From its size, I would expect to lay the stone down, and then rub the nagura on top of it, kind of like using a giant slurry stone. Is that about the size of it?

Just to clarify, the synthetic stone we use is a 6000x

You have the use 100% correct. The only thing I'd add is to rinse the stone's surface after use to make sure that the slurry has been removed.

Fortunately I was able to get in on this. Dave has been outstanding to deal with.

This is one heck of a deal guys, thanks for putting this together!

Its hard not to add a couple other goodies while getting this deal. I didnt resist.

Looking forward to NOT sending out my knives anymore.

Thanks Dave.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just to clarify, the synthetic stone we use is a 6000x

You have the use 100% correct. The only thing I'd add is to rinse the stone's surface after use to make sure that the slurry has been removed.

Thanks ... I just missed a zero when typing. :blushing:

Dave, pm sent.

Ok guys, so far I have a variety of sharp stuff (axes, folders, fixed blades, kitchen knives and straights) but in terms of sharpening gear all I have are a dual grit puck for the axes and a variety of strops for the straights. I'm thinking that this set might be a good place to start. If I have everything figured out, this set should cover me for all of my knives and be a starting point for straights. To finish the straights I would need to get a stone or two in the 8000 and 12k range I think, plus my strops. Axe wise a couple files should do the trick, along with a belt grinder for heavy jobs. Aside from this all I should need to have a complete set of sharpening tools should be some lapping stones. I guess my question is: am I thinking along the right lines for what I need? Also, did I miss anything?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
DIf I have everything figured out, this set should cover me for all of my knives and be a starting point for straights. To finish the straights I would need to get a stone or two in the 8000 and 12k range I think, plus my strops.

A common starting point for honing straights is the Norton 4k/8k combo stone. The coarser ones in this set would be good for major repairs if needed, but usually the 4k is as coarse as you need.

Then you get yourself a finishing stone, and you are done.

(Of course, when searching out hones for razors, you tend to come across a lot of guys with ... ahem ... very strong opinions. Questioning the dude's biological link to his mother's husband brings less impassioned replies than suggesting that his Escher stone is just a Thurigan, or some such thing. If anyone remembers Bernard from "Yes. Minister" and his penchant for "irregular verbs", in straight honing it goes something like this ... "I'm impassioned in defending my beliefs, you are a blowhard, and he is an @$$." Good luck.)

:biggrin1:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Another great value package. I've been heavily involved in planning a move of the business I work for into a new building. I wish I was here to support this from day one . . . but support this I do. Treated with moderate respect these stones will last lifetimes. Sharpening is a skill that will serve you a lifetime as well. I'm no Dave Martel but I just have to grin when folk helping cook at family get-to-gethers notice how very sharp all my knives are.

For some reason, I've been daydreaming and I missed this whole deal until today. I just wanted to thank Dave for making this available. This is really an amazing package (and this isn't just a Mod talking it up). If you were to win a trip to Tokyo and decide to go buy these stones yourself, you would have a hard time even coming close to this price. Now factor in shipping and a superb set of instructional DVDs? Forget it. We are really lucky to have something like this.

As far as I know I've answered all of the emails and PM's that have come in so far but if you're trying to reach me and haven't heard back from me please try again, all of your questions are important to me and I don't want to miss anyone.

Top Bottom