What's new

Seiko Kinetic unlucky me or watch?

Well I bought what I thought was going to be a damn good Seiko Kinetic. How wrong I was. Here's what it looked like on my wrist.

$seiko 5M62 kenetik_NEW.jpg
I nice new Seiko for a great price bought start of August 2015 . So this is my story of problems.

Firstly the metal strap came off as I don't really like them, but to me this one was more like a Vostok metal strap. No problem a blue silicone diver was fitted, nice but not good enough. I then fitted a Velcro sports strap, nice. I noticed there was no lume on the fingers and this was confirmed by Seiko UK.

I then caught the strap while at the park with my daughter and the watch tore away and hit the floor, it stopped dead. I called Seiko the next day ( as it was Sunday) regards the guarantee, they gave me some shpeal about as it wasn't a manufacturing defect it wasn't covered. Ok I'm not going to argue this one. So I'll get it repaired and get the fingers lumed. After a few quotes it just was not worth it more than half of what I paid. So with an inquiring mind I opened her up.

On removing the guts to the watch she burst back into life, so I deduced it was the shock of the fall. However I removed the fingers, cleaned them and applied some super lume paint. All put back together but where was the stem and crown????

Days later the crown and stem appeared again, put back and.... again dead as a door nail. So apart again but this time the stem and crown had gone for ever, where I know not. I used a clean work bench with good lighting, clean tools. In fact the work shop had recently been cleaned. But now some time later the crown and stem have still not re-appeared.

E-bay beckoned and I've cut my losses. Not deterred by this Kinetic mistake and problems I jumped straight back in and ordered and new SKA369P1 kinetic. If this ones goes belly up, that's it with Kinetic.

Sounds like the tumble the watch took was the ultimate culprit here.

With that said, the SKA369 is one heck of a watch, big, heavy, nice bracelet.
I've had three of the variants in the past: SKA367, 369, 371.

Kinetic watches are fine, they just need to be worn regularly. Too many watches in the collection and my kinetics would always run down and it's a pain to get them fully charged again.

Good luck and post some pics when it comes in!

Sounds like the tumble the watch took was the ultimate culprit here.

With that said, the SKA369 is one heck of a watch, big, heavy, nice bracelet.
I've had three of the variants in the past: SKA367, 369, 371.

Kinetic watches are fine, they just need to be worn regularly. Too many watches in the collection and my kinetics would always run down and it's a pain to get them fully charged again.

Good luck and post some pics when it comes in!

Thanks guys. I'll post when she arrives. According to DHL on line that'll be tomorrow some time early PM.

Don't let this watch make you give up on Seiko's. My automatic (not kinetic) Seiko diver's watch is more accurate than 2 of my co-worker's Rolex watches. It really makes them mad, lol.

You may not like the styling of a NATO/Zulu watch band, but one advantage they offer is that if one of the spring bars fails the watch remains attached your the wrist. Of course if the band has a velcro closure it can still get ripped off like your previous experience. But I might consider that as a safety feature, as it is better to have one's watch ripped off rather than a severe wrist injury.

I currently have 5 Kinetic's, all working great. I fitted the upgraded capacitor kit to the 2 older ones I have as they would lose their charge quick, they are about 20 years old, all keeping a great charge now. I have 1 brand new and 2 nearly new as well and they run trouble free(so far!):thumbup1:

As promised. DHL sent me a text this morning UK time 11.30. I went and picked it up from a service centre only a mile away. Two links out of the strap and so far she feels great. A little heavier then the Orange Monster but just as impressive. I love the skeletal fingers.

$seiko suba diver kinetic SKA 369P1.jpg

She's only showing around 5 seconds on the power indicator but a few days wear should have that up to around 2 seconds.

Very nice:thumbup1: I just picked up the all black/pvd version and also have the black bezel version of the one in your pic, really liking the look of yours:001_smile

As promised. DHL sent me a text this morning UK time 11.30. I went and picked it up from a service centre only a mile away. Two links out of the strap and so far she feels great. A little heavier then the Orange Monster but just as impressive. I love the skeletal fingers.

She's only showing around 5 seconds on the power indicator but a few days wear should have that up to around 2 seconds.

Maybe just a typo and you meant you should have that up to 20 seconds, but the charge indicator goes up not down, so the higher the power reserve the more seconds the hand moves.

Pic of the 5M62 movement power indicator numbers just in case you haven't seen it
$kinetic.jpg

I think you'll like the Kinetics. I had one for at least the last 10 years and it never stopped or had a problem. Then I accidentally knocked it on the floor and stepped on it at work. The watch was actually fine, but I snapped metal couplings holding the links of the band together. Unfortunately, that band was somewhat unique and no replacements could be found, so I ended up getting a new watch, also a Seiko kinetic. It is excellent. And I'm hoping it does as well as the first one, and that I dont destroy it.

Well after a few days constant wear I'm up to 10 seconds. I caved in and bought a modified winder from these guys here in Blighty

http://www.quality-batteries.co.uk/Kinetic-Charger.html

I've done some hard core google searches regards kinetic charging and rather than any Heath Robinson se ups in the work shop I pulled the trigger.

It'll serve all my automatic's as well as this fancy pants kinetic. I'm loving the shear weight of the thing. This watch, the OM an my two citizens are seeing some real wrist action lately.

Top Bottom