What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

This one's for @Ron R :)

SOTD: Monday August 8, 2022
Razor: ATT G1
Blade: Gem PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: OH Peppermint Trip

View attachment 1501601

Well, here's a blast from the past; the excellent Above The Tie G1. I suppose since it's no longer in production it's moved from being a "Modern" to being "Vintage" but I still think of it as one of the best of the Gem Moderns, or "Gemish" as I usually call them.

Stan's original idea was to see if he could duplicate the shave of a 1912 Gem in modern materials. In that he succeeded brilliantly -- an accomplishment which instantly put him athwart every cheap old shaver who complained, "I can get an actual 1912 for $2.50. Why would I buy this?" So it had one area of resistance to overcome.

Secondly, it does in fact shave exactly like a 1912 Gem -- a shave which I find just on the too-mild side. I picked up the "aggressive" plate for it, which is some improvement; and then also took a chainsaw file to an extra plate I had and scalloped the bar which made a further improvement. There had been some thought of bringing out an OC plate for it, but unfortunately the grumbles from the peanut gallery kinda put paid to that notion.

After grumping about it for a while I put it aside as an interesting razor to haul out during SEptember. I got interested in shavettes, and started tooling up the G1 and keeping it ready as a bailout razor and to get the edges where I had troubles with the shavettes. After a while of that with some good results I decided to like that darn thing come hell or high water.

Yes, it's a mild shaver even with a fresh unstropped blade and some modifications. That has become its strength for me. I have used it with the West Coast Shaving 84S handle, which makes any razor head look like George Jetson's razor, but I find that I am most congenial to the somewhat understated austerity of the ATT Kronos handle. The Kronos was the first handle that really worked for me, so I have a few of them around.

One of the reasons I've been such a supporter of the G1 is that it is a razor that has a lot of promise. I also believe firmly that we can't just keep mining the past for our razors. I'm not downplaying vintage; I've got a few. But innovation requires a bit of engagement. Razor makers keep alive the DE and SE traditions and add new opportunities like the AC razors. I want to support the brains that bring us these wonderful toys. Which is to say I'd really like to see Matt bring out a G2, or even put the G1 back in limited production. Perhaps a small run once a year, with plenty of opportunity for presales? I don't know.

Simple, understated, elegant. A nice mild DFS in a format that has some history to it.

O.H.
I had one and despite some modifications by a friend it never gave me a decent close all round Shave, I did try it with shims and it was better. Passed it on to someone who had a less harsh beard and he is Happy with it.

Wed 10th August

Ever Ready “ Streamline” & Gem S/S ( 1 )
Amazingly after using an AC/SE rotation I moved to a Vintage SE rotation. Started off with my favourite, and honestly despite Two days growth I had a mishap free Shave, and the finish as good as the best that I go at from my AC/ SE Razors.

C99C8B1B-340C-4B18-BAC6-E8AC8B497FDF.jpeg

Razor: Supply Pro Adjustable Injector Razor
Blade: Supply Black Label Injector blades
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Tobacco Leaf
Aftershave: Shannon's Soaps Indigo Oud Aftershave Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20220705_072451.jpg

Thur 11th August

Omega 11126 boar
Cyril Salter Solid soap
ER 1924
Gem S/S ( 7 )
Pitralon Polar A/S Lotion

A very pleasant Shave with the 1924 nicely balanced with a titanium handle, just a delight to handle. Totally mishap free and a rather good close all round finish for a blade on its 7th outing.

3CF06FDD-FCCE-449D-89ED-F534B408EA03.jpeg

Razor: Above the Tie G1 V1.5 Single Edge Razor
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Mauer & Wirtz Tabac
Aftershave: Maurer & Wirtz Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
20220810_083154.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Black Supply SE
Blade: Supply Black Label (1)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann Cool
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: AP Shave Co. Rainbow Stripe Handle 26mm G5A knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Polo Double Black EDT
Rating: 9.875/10 Three pass near BBS shave with three touch ups. Three weepers, no cuts or irritation. Very good efficient shave. First use of the Supply SE and would say the weepers are totally my fault. As others have said you can barely feel the blade. Shave not as efficient as I would like, but very near BBS. Will shave with it the next couple days to get the angle locked in and see if the shaves improve. Overall not a bad shave by any means.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, Aug 12th, 2022

Razor : Yaqi V2 chrome Excalibur AC 50mm- Mfg 2021, excellent tame mid range, easy to handle when assembled, small head parts to assemble, I get nice consistently excellent shaves & a joy to use + affordable!
Blade : Schick Proline P30 (6)- sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity for a AC blade.
Soap : Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood cream- Very nice rich scent of Sandalwood + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Bali 24mm silver tip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Witch hazel beard cleanse of soap residual + Ogallala Bayrum with sandalwood aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi chrome SE V2 Excalibur with a Schick proline p30 blade.
After using my Yaqi plastic travel bowl I realized I like my home made altered ceramic modified bowl a lot more because of handle design + nickel coin agitators epoxied on the bottom with shallower wall height but same 5 inch diameter makes a better bowl for myself lathering when tailor made for my needs. Yaqi plastic bowl would be good enough for travelling IMO.
SOTD August 12 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Razor: Supply Pro
Blade: Supply black (1)
Brush: Stirling Tuxedo
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Virgin Island Bay Rum
Balm: Proraso white

First use of the Supply. It will take some getting used to. It’s heavier than any other injector razor that I have. DFS finish with one small weeper that took some styptic.

BC388678-AB44-4E81-9E35-D31E0960B759.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I had one and despite some modifications by a friend it never gave me a decent close all round Shave, I did try it with shims and it was better. Passed it on to someone who had a less harsh beard and he is Happy with it.
Good to know this information, thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom