What's new

Scope for Ruger 10/22

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I almost ordered a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x 33mm rimfire scope today. I keep on eyeballing a Nikon P-Tactical 2-7x 32mm rimfire as well. The Nikon would be about 60% of the price of the Leupold, but I've heard a lot of compliments on the Leupold.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on either of the two? Any other suggestions? It would be dedicated to my Ruger 10/22, and would be for plinking and dispatching varmints or hunting if the need ever arises.

I had a Leupold 2-7 rimfire. It was fantastic.

Stick with the Leupold. Their warranty is outstanding.

Nikon is going out of the scope business. I would guess there will be no repairs afterwards.

My 10/22 is set up for a different purpose. I have a cheap green dot sight on it mounted high enough so that the iron sights are still useable.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

For the price....Hard to beat Vortex optics
I agree with this statement whole heatedly! For a scope made in the Philippines my Viper Gen II has been hard to beat but the thing that impresses me most is their VIP warranty! It's a Vortex, they will fix it, no reciept, not registration, nada! While I have yet to do something dreadful like running one over with a truck or burning one up in a fire, etc (Yes there are pictures on their website) I did strip out a little tiny turret locking screw. Shot them an e-mail, had an RMA the next day, shipped it, and a week later it was back with the screw extracted and a new turret in place. They even did a QC check to make sure it was functioning properly. No fuss no muss! Good people!

Last edited:
You'll never go wrong with a Leupold. Back in 1963 I was going to scope my new Winchester M 70 and was planning on a Weaver, the dealer handed me a Leupold 4x and I looked through it and said put the Weaver back. I was a poor new high school graduate, no job, with just a little savings. Still have that gun and scope combo.

There is one sold by amazon that is OK'ish for the price. Check 22plinkster on YT, he did a review.
I would not spend good money on a scope for a Ruger 10/22.
I have Leupold for bigger caliber guns and they are OK. I do not own any Nikon sights , but their optics (camera lenses are very good).

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's a Ruger 10/22. If you're going to go aftermarket trigger, stock and match heavy barrel, go Leupold, otherwise, Vortex is a reasonably priced and reasonable quality for a stock 10/22.

The trick is not to have too much scope for the rifle, or too much rifle for a cheap scope. :)

I only buy Leupold or Redfield scopes anymore. They are always wonderful.
I think Redfield is very similar to the more affordable leupold scopes. Not positive, but I think that they are owned by Leupold.

Made in Oregon I believe.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm never in favor of skimping on scopes. My 10/22 is a target gun, heavy stock, heavy barrel, target trigger. It wears a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 x40 scope with an adjustable objective. While it has a BDC elevation turret for 5.56, I ignore that and just count the clicks. I shoot it mostly at 50 and 100 yds, but the AO adjusts down to about 20 yds IIRC. I think an accurate .22 should have a scope that is up to the task. YMMV. Obviously your intended use will govern your scope selection, but I'd consider a variable objective for parallax adjustment if you can find one to suit your needs.

It's a Ruger 10/22. If you're going to go aftermarket trigger, stock and match heavy barrel, go Leupold, otherwise, Vortex is a reasonably priced and reasonable quality for a stock 10/22.

The trick is not to have too much scope for the rifle, or too much rifle for a cheap scope. :)

++++

You never go wrong buying good glass even if it costs more than the rifle. You may swap it on another gun later or decide to sell. Out of all the brands, used Leupolds are without a doubt the easiest to sell for the most of your money back. If you keep them long enough, you can sometimes sell them for more than you paid. At least that has been how it's been in the past.....Matter of fact, I said earlier that I had owned a Leupold 2-7 rimfire. I used it for a few years on a CZ455. I sold the rifle and pulled the scope off and put it back in the box. I sold it for $10 less than I paid for it and about $20 less than a new one cost. It was like new. They guy that bought it seemed happy to save 20 bucks.

Cheap scopes are usually a disappointment.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm never in favor of skimping on scopes. My 10/22 is a target gun, heavy stock, heavy barrel, target trigger. It wears a Leupold Mark AR 6-18 x40 scope with an adjustable objective. While it has a BDC elevation turret for 5.56, I ignore that and just count the clicks. I shoot it mostly at 50 and 100 yds, but the AO adjusts down to about 20 yds IIRC. I think an accurate .22 should have a scope that is up to the task. YMMV. Obviously your intended use will govern your scope selection, but I'd consider a variable objective for parallax adjustment if you can find one to suit your needs.

Agree with all that. I have a Leupold 3-9 AO on mine. It does make a difference.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks for all the input, Gents. My card that I use for online purchases was compromised. So, I'm going to wait until I get a new card and recover my funds, etc..

While I wait, do any of you have experience with the mount that comes with the 10/22? I'm planning on just using mine for plinking and hunting (if it ever comes to me needing to shoot small critters to survive). So, I don't need to go crazy when it comes to the mount, but I want it to be rugged and quality enough to withstand years of use.

Also, suggestions for rings would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

That mount and a set of the lowest rings you can find will work ok....Avoid any advice to get a set of see-through rings. They do nothing for good shooting. Your head is way to high off the comb and you don't help your self by raising the sight device that high above the bore.

There's nothing wrong with any of the major brands of rings. Weaver would probably be some of the least expensive.

I used to have a Bushnell 4 power. About 2 years ago I set my 10/22 up for Steel Challenge with a Trijicon RMR and a QR mount.
It hasn't come off...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I love the Burris Signature Rings with the off set insert kit. It allows you to make windage and elevation corrections without using up all of your scopes adjustment range. Also does what a MOA base does for longer range shooting, to a limited extent.

I like the Burris Signature Zee rings with the inserts when using a nice scope. They prevent ring marks.

When using another brand of rings, I always line the rings with electrical tape. It prevents ring marks and helps keep scopes from slipping.

Top Bottom