What's new

Recommendations for Rimfire Target Scope

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
@nikonNUT , why do you have a 50 yd zero rather than 100yd zero? Are there that many 50 yd targets in the competitions you shoot?
There isn't a lot but you will run into stuff like spinners at 75 yards and the dreaded KYL (Know Your Limits) at 50 yards. The KYL is 8 swingers that start at 1.5" wide and work down to .25" wide. 1 point per shot and you can stop whenever you like and take those points... Clear it and you get 8 points plus 2 bonus points! Miss any target and you zero the stage. I usually stop at 7! :lol:The other plus of a 50 yard zero is there is usually time to adjust your scope pre-match. That target is always set at 50 yards.

The evil KYL...
KYL.jpg

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
There isn't a lot but you will run into stuff like spinners at 75 yards and the dreaded KYL (Know Your Limits) at 50 yards. The KYL is 8 swingers that start at 1.5" wide and work down to .25" wide. 1 point per shot and you can stop whenever you like and take those points... Clear it and you get 8 points plus 2 bonus points! Miss any target and you zero the stage. I usually stop at 7! :lol:The other plus of a 50 yard zero is there is usually time to adjust your scope pre-match. That target is always set at 50 yards.
Makes sense, for my applications, it seems a 100 yd. zero would suffice.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I heard over is better than under? :)
100% Rob! Now I will say that my "fancy" scopes can accomodate. With the ZCO you set the zero stop and it has a built in feature that lets you dial .5 mRad under. The Nightforce? I got it zeroed, came down .5mRad, locked the zero stop, clicked back up .5, and set the elevation turret to "0". Viola! I can dial a half a mil under!

Last edited:
@nikonNUT , why do you have a 50 yd zero rather than 100yd zero? Are there that many 50 yd targets in the competitions you shoot? It seems that "hold under" would be quick enough with the right reticle.
Lots of the benchrest comps are at 50 yards. ARA, USBR, IBS, ABRA, etc. So if you shoot the standard targets, they were designed to be shot at 50 yards. There are 100 yard comps but not as many off the bench.

The various recommendations really boil down to if you prefer to shoot PRS style/offhand vs off the bench. For off the bench or using barriers I would either recommend a fixed 36x or 45x scope like the Sightrons. For a more general scope that is also fine off the bench, perhaps the Athlon Argos 10-40x would do nicely for a variety of situations, except hunting. Of course, if you want higher end, there are a lot more choice.

P.S. I will note that the best place to buy one of these scopes is used on the Accurate Shooter forum. Lots of experts there and both Sightron and Athlon have lifetime transferable warranties. So as long as nothing is broken on the scope you buy the minute you get it, you're covered for normal issues from then on. Don't buy new unless you can't stand the most minor blemish.

Top Bottom