What's new

Schicktober

... I really will have no problem getting to #15- at which point, I will just change horses out of boredom. Mftoms, could not have done it without you, man- I would have quit way back. I am finding I like these more recent shaves because I can bear down on the razor more and get the difficult spots! This is going to be a problem when I move to the new blade again. I am also finding that I like the look of these old bakelite handled razors...

Well first off, my chin & cheeks show no redness or soreness, from the XTG Pass last Night, Shave #16 will be tomorrow Morning. RonV, I'm glad #12 was smooth, I got a little bored with the same blade but curiosity keeps me going, and it's not like there are many other Blade Choices when Injector Shaving. Yeah, I do have three types of Vintage Blades, but once they're used , they're gone forever. I'ts always easier continuing when other Members are posting on the Thread, it's been a Long two months but posting for other participants helped get me through it. The Bakelites are the Best Looking Injectors, followed closely by the "C", and possibly the "C" is the last one I might consider buying.

Well that's all for now, I'll post my #16 Results, using Tabac, Thursday evening.

Last night I broke the monotony and shaved in front of the sink using a Rudy Vey brush and Arko shaving soap. The razor of choice, a Hydro-Magic "J" model. 2 passes resulted in a DFS ; )

#13 sucked. Did nothing different. Hmmm. We'll see if this changes tomorrow.

Going back through my previous shaves, #13 was a bit rough for me as well, which had been the second time that had happened. The first rough shave as I recall was #3 or 4, I'll be going for #16 in another hour, Face Lather with Tabac is planned, I'll post my results this evening.

Yes, well I have decided to stick it out until #15, these blades are funny because I also remember (and could look back and ck my old posts if I had time) that one of the early shaves was rough. This was one was not rough, so much as dull.

Last night I decided to give a recently acquired Schick Slim Twin cartridge razor a try. I purchased the razor thinking I may I owned one back in the day, but after receiving it I realized I hadn't. I liked how the cartridge performed against my face, but the light handle made it feel like a disposable. I may give the carts a try on an Atra handle if they work. Anyhow, it provided a decent shave you might expect from an Atra or Sensor...probably would make a decent travel razor.

Used my Father's Schick J-1 again today with a Schick blade on shave 10 or so. Got a DFS after a hurried two pass shave with a little touch up.

I finished my EverSharp "G" shave, #15 on the Chinese Blade; I Face Lathered Klar Kabinett Klassik scent and completed a two-pass, WTG,XTG without Touch-up. The first pass, WTG, was very smooth still no tugging, skipping or pulling, no nicks or weepers. I re-applied my second lather and had a bit of tingle/burn around the cheeks & Chin, the XTG pass was good but I had a little redness on the chin. This has been my first non-Tabac shave on this blade and I wonder if that had prevented irritation on my last couple of shaves. To test this theory, I'll use this Blade again on Thursday Morning, Face Lathering with Tabac. Otherwise I'd say you can probably get 12 Comfortable Shaves from the Chinese Blades, YMMV...

Shave #16, a Face Lather with Tabac and I had pretty much the same shave as #15 on a 32 hour growth, two weepers and a nick on the left side of my Chin & cheek, a weeper on the right corner of my upper Lip and one nick on the right side of the Jawline. Broke out the Alum Block for the Nicks & Weepers, now I know 14 Shaves with the Chinese Blade is My Limit. That means at approximately $4.99 per 7 blade pack, it works out to .0509183 cents per shave. It was $19.93 for 4 boxes of 7 Blades & Free Delivery.

I guess the next test will be the Current Personna "Shaper" Blades, same size & shape of injectors but the Cartridge doesn't have a key insert, they were $10.25 + Free Shipping per 20 Blades. I'll use a jewelers screwdriver and patience to make the transfer.

I'll be finishing the Schicktober with my Krona & Personna Medical which has ~2 shaves on it, going for two more which shouldn't be a problem.

mtoms, you are ripping up your face a bit! This is not good! This cannot become your new normal. Other than nicking a small, unexpected pimple once or twice a year, blood should not be routine with a safety razor at least (I am trying to stay away from straight shaving). But this is why they are called safety razors. I was going to say that my #14 shave on this blade was pretty good, not bad (not a DFS but perhaps a PGS) however in reading your post I am feeling like I am just a complainer and doing OK at #14. The details: I went back to good ol' Tabac this morning and I let the lather sit there a minute while I rummaged thru samples for an aftershave. Combo of face and bowl lather again- pretty good shave (I gotta say now after reading about the carnage you went thru). I finished off with the delightful cool/burn/sting of Osage Orange (even though LOTH doesn't care much for the smell). I will abandon this blade after tomorrow, but 15 shaves is fine if I want to do it. What was really interesting about this experiment is that it proved to me how important the right soap is- I think I will also save a lot of blades in the coming decades because I will not immediately abandon a blade after one lack luster shave- as I was ready to do early on in this experiment- ditching it after # 13 would have been justifiable. One dozen shaves on a Chinese injector blade is probably all my face can stand.
About your face: I am not sure what to say to you- although I am new to B & B, I know that I have probably been wet shaving since before you were born. Please take it easy. You went a little medieval on me that last shave.:sad:

mtoms, you are ripping up your face a bit! This is not good! This cannot become your new normal. Other than nicking a small, unexpected pimple once or twice a year, blood should not be routine with a safety razor at least (I am trying to stay away from straight shaving)... One dozen shaves on a Chinese injector blade is probably all my face can stand.About your face: I am not sure what to say to you- although I am new to B & B, I know that I have probably been wet shaving since before you were born. Please take it easy. You went a little medieval on me that last shave.:sad:

I do know my Face and the weepers & nicks aren't normal, which is why it was time to retire the blade & the point of the experiment was to see how far I could go with the same Blade. Hell, I'd take as many Shaves from one Blade as it would want to give, keeping one for 14 is pretty damn good and I won't complain. Seeing as how I'm six months shy of 53, you could be right, comfortable shaves are my only goal since the BBS only postpones my next shave.

Today was the J-1 again. I got a near BBS after two passes and some touch up. I will use it again tomorrow and then change to the J-3 Hydromagic for next week. After that, it will be back to the DEs.

mftoms: sorry dude, guess I over-reacted. It was early in the morning and all those initials made it sound too routine. Take care- and I apologize for going fatherly on you. It also occurred to me while driving to work that you may also be shaving your head sometimes as well so that could be like doing two shaves for one-- you could be on the equivalent of a lot higher number than #14.

Doug, I would love to see any readily available pictures of the razors you are using. I am bad about ID'ing these tools that aren't Gillettes. Also if anyone wants to glance at my previous posts- I am assuming that I have been using a "g" and that my back-up with the new blade is an "f." (an aside: I am looking forward to going back to the DE and particularly the new-to-me slim that I acquired since I ended up giving my first one to my son.) I have decided to go the full distance through October 31 so as not to abandon mftoms, who I unfairly judged in recent posts above and who has tenaciously stuck out Schicktober and taught an old dog a thing or two in the process. Thanks again mftoms! I wish you a DFS tomorrow morning if you decide to shave :001_smile after this mornings' shave!

I've never tried a schick but I'd like to be part of SchickTober. If anyone has a Schick Krona (user grade) they'd part with, send me a PM.

Thanks Doug- very nice razor. I guess I ought find one for my collection.
Dave, I wish I still had an extra Schick to give you now but the two extras I have are in seriously bad shape and even if I were to pop one in the mail to you tomorrow you would miss Schicktober- perhaps someone will start a Schickvember- if, after cleaning up one of these, I feel it is a good enough shaver to give away, I promise to let you have it. I just gave a Schick away on Monday- it was in fairly good condition-- and I gave it to a straight razor wannabe. A guy at work came in with his chin all shredded up about a week ago. Since I have no experience with straight razors yet (a very dangerous "yet" there), I could not guide him in technique so I decided to gift him a Schick-- I told him it was sort of a straight razor with training wheels. I let him heal about a week and gave him an old bakelite (an "F" maybe) handled Schick and a pack of blades- he is crazy about it and it saved him from the multibladed shaver he had returned to after his failed straight razor attempt. He said he looks forward to shaving now. I am putting another notch in my belt as having saved another person from those plastic multibladed cartridge shavers and I believe the Schick did it- a Gillette might not have.

mftoms: sorry dude, guess I over-reacted. It was early in the morning and all those initials made it sound too routine. Take care- and I apologize for going fatherly on you. It also occurred to me while driving to work that you may also be shaving your head sometimes as well so that could be like doing two shaves for one-- you could be on the equivalent of a lot higher number than #14.

No Apology Necessary, Fatherly advice is always appreciated. The "G" was strictly for Face Shaves, I've done one Head Shave with my "J", which had 3 Face Shave on the Blade, but I doubt I'll be doing anymore before Spring now that it's getting cooler.

Top Bottom