What's new

Scentless Saturday

I used the Mystic Water Unscented for the first time today. I noticed the lather looked perfect but dissipated on my face way too quickly, so looks can be deceiving. I think I needed to work it a bit more or perhaps make sure to start up with less water. I'll dial it in next shave.

I bowl lather so I scooped out twice as much soap as I usually use to make sure I had enough, given I used the Omega Jade boar brush for the first time. The soap just wasn't thick enough. I had added some water to the bowl on top of the soap, thinned it out a bit and took a shower. I think I put in too much water because I didn't have to add any.

As usual, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Yes, MWS can take some time to do it right! I had my best success starting with an almost dry synthetic brush and very slowly adding water. I did what I called tip dips. Perseverance pays off and you can get a creamy, substantial lather. Boars can be difficult, but once you find the best route, you can repeat the process! Good luck!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used the Mystic Water Unscented for the first time today. I noticed the lather looked perfect but dissipated on my face way too quickly, so looks can be deceiving. I think I needed to work it a bit more or perhaps make sure to start up with less water. I'll dial it in next shave.

I bowl lather so I scooped out twice as much soap as I usually use to make sure I had enough, given I used the Omega Jade boar brush for the first time. The soap just wasn't thick enough. I had added some water to the bowl on top of the soap, thinned it out a bit and took a shower. I think I put in too much water because I didn't have to add any.

As usual, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've certainly not mastered Mystic Water soap but I think it needs to be extra heavily loaded.

Don't think I know anything about it. (I've mostly given up on it in favor of Canada Shaving Soap and CK-6.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

First off I want to thank @MaineYooper for his contributions here. This is exactly what I was looking for when I joined B&B in October.

My wife is very sensitive to smells as well, although not allergic, so I am very interested in the unscented smell category. I can shave with scented soaps, but I can't use any scented after shave balms or splashes.

I've tried Shannon Soaps, Nil, Stirling's Sheep, in their sample sizes and have used a local nonscented cream from Soap Opera (Madison, WI). All three are very fine soaps/creams, IMO. I'm always looking for suggestions, though so I've put this thread on watch. BTW, the cost per oz. is interesting, but not very useful to me for determining soaps.

Probably, the most important is glide and after shave feel since I do have sensitive skin.

Thanks for all the contributions so far.

After reading through about half of this thread, I will most definitely be getting Scentless CK-6 and Canada Shaving Scentless. Only problem is my favorite online store (Maggard) doesn't carry them.

Any store suggestions?, or do I have to order directly from the company's website?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Amazon has 6 left at the moment... if you are a Prime member, shipping is free. If you order direct from the Canadian manufacturer, the cost is the same but the shipping is a bit pricey. That's for the Canada Shaving Soap.

I just order directly from PAA when getting the CK-6 (Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements). I also use their Cube 2.0 and Tube 2.0 pre-shave products and their block/bar Shampoo.

Slightly off topic... but I've come across some threads that reference a controversy with the folks at Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.

Can someone enlighten me on what that was? The threads don't really explain what happened, just allude to it.

Slightly off topic... but I've come across some threads that reference a controversy with the folks at Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements.

Can someone enlighten me on what that was? The threads don't really explain what happened, just allude to it.
Most folks here don't want to discuss it so you won't get many answers. A google search should give you plenty of reading from many different forums. In a nutshell, a lot of lies.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
12-10-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.ItalianFlag.640.JPG

Too tall and somewhat floppy but still kinda fun on occasion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shannon Soaps Nil. Still using her sampler. So far I've gotten 6 or 7 shaves, I'll probably get twice as many more by the time it's done. Plus no fiddling with tiny containers. She wraps them in a wax paper bag. The wax paper comes off easily and I take the glob and press it into a bowl. Nice and easy. (Although not as nice as the Stirling Samplers)

Amazon has 6 left at the moment... if you are a Prime member, shipping is free. If you order direct from the Canadian manufacturer, the cost is the same but the shipping is a bit pricey. That's for the Canada Shaving Soap.

I just order directly from PAA when getting the CK-6 (Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements). I also use their Cube 2.0 and Tube 2.0 pre-shave products and their block/bar Shampoo.
Thanks! Just ordered one from Amazon.

Top Bottom