What's new

Scentless Saturday

IMG_0331.jpeg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used Mike's unscented soap for the first time today. I can't usually tell much differences in how my unscented soaps feel when I apply them. I mean, they all feel the same, basically.

But the Mike's felt almost luxurious when I brushed it on, after lathering it in my CaYuen bowl. When I make my lather, each batch looks the same... or I should say, that's what I do... whip it up with the brush I've selected until it looks "right". The Mike's looked just like every other lather... nothing special, but right.

It sure felt amazing and the shave was excellent. It's hard to be sure since I was using a new base plate for the RR SuperSlant: the L1++OC for the first time. I'll use Mike's a few times in a row with razors I know better and see if I feel the slight improvement I thought I felt today. I'm not talking night and day differences. Canada Shaving Soap is my standard. I measure other soaps against it. Mike's sure felt more luxurious and, perhaps, more slick. It sure was interesting. I didn't expect that, even though Jim / @Chan Eil Whiskers said it's one of his favorite soap bases.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I used Mike's unscented soap for the first time today. I can't usually tell much differences in how my unscented soaps feel when I apply them. I mean, they all feel the same, basically.

But the Mike's felt almost luxurious when I brushed it on, after lathering it in my CaYuen bowl. When I make my lather, each batch looks the same... or I should say, that's what I do... whip it up with the brush I've selected until it looks "right". The Mike's looked just like every other lather... nothing special, but right.

It sure felt amazing and the shave was excellent. It's hard to be sure since I was using a new base plate for the RR SuperSlant: the L1++OC for the first time. I'll use Mike's a few times in a row with razors I know better and see if I feel the slight improvement I thought I felt today. I'm not talking night and day differences. Canada Shaving Soap is my standard. I measure other soaps against it. Mike's sure felt more luxurious and, perhaps, more slick. It sure was interesting. I didn't expect that, even though Jim / @Chan Eil Whiskers said it's one of his favorite soap bases.

Kim, that's how I see Canada and Mike's. Same as you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

IMG_2023-12-30-154307.jpg

Oh no! The tub is empty! With 12 other brands of unscented soap still in the drawer, I am trying to resist the urge to replace this one.

And Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers, when i finished the Mike's Unscented last month, I felt the same urge to replace it! Glad you are enjoying it, too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 1772409

Oh no! The tub is empty! With 12 other brands of unscented soap still in the drawer, I am trying to resist the urge to replace this one.

And Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers, when i finished the Mike's Unscented last month, I felt the same urge to replace it! Glad you are enjoying it, too.

I have, just sitting around waiting for such occasions, spare, unopened tubs of Scentsless CK-6 and Mike's Unscented.

Exactly how you're going to get by without them escapes me. The other unscented soaps I've tried, other than Canada, just haven't floated my boat. I don't have anywhere near twelve of them though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Saturday's Scentless Soap Shave
1939-RFB-W_2024-01-06.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42
Soap: Grooming Dept Pura
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB on custom olive wood handle
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (5)
ASL: Caffè Latte [home brew]

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

This great team demolished my four-day mini-beard effortlessly. The sickly-sweet honey aroma of the "scent-free" Pura was a little off-putting again, but the soap itself is fab. Once again, post-shave, my highly fragranced Caffè Latte ASL killed off the Pura "aroma." :devil:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I skip shaving on a lot of Saturdays including yesterday. I also occasionally use a scented soap on a Saturday.

Big Nurse has had several conversations with me about the rules to no avail.

Still, I enjoy seeing what you guys have used and hearing about the soaps which are unscented but not scentless.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dear members of this thread... what do you think about this comparison - Unscented Shave Soap Competition - Sharpologist - https://sharpologist.com/unscented-shave-soap-competition/ ... what do you think the ranking could look like in 2024 (2 years after the "competition" for unscented soaps)? Since then, many recipes have been added...

Interesting competition.

Mostly I jumped on the Mike's vs CK-6 head to head competition, linked here. Bottom line: I couldn't disagree more.

I like CK-6 a lot. It is one of the best soap bases I've tried. However, I like Mike's better. I've tried a large number of soaps, but certainly nowhere near all the soap bases on the market. None I've tried are better than Mike's for my skin and whiskers.

(Of note: I always use the PAA Cube and the PAA Tube prior to shaving which is very likely to change the performance of all my soaps. However, it should equally improve the performance of all of them. I am also a face latherer 100% of the time which might be a factor.)

A lot of work went into this competition. Thanks for sharing it. I'll be interested in how other gentlemen see the results.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom