What's new

Santa Maria Novella - What's "hear! hear!" in Italian?

Thank you.

OAM is outstanding; I hope you enjoy. Which scent did you get?
@Golden_Edge

I went with the Stay Traditional based on this wonderful review. Not sure who the reviewer is ;), but the details, description, and photos had me hooked!

The description of a ā€œgrapefruit citrus bombā€ in a quality Italian croap sounds right up my alley. Cella Kilo is one of my all time favorites. I am interested to see how the OAM performance compares. And I love citrus scents soā€¦ thanks for enabling!
Ā 
@Golden_Edge

I went with the Stay Traditional based on this wonderful review. Not sure who the reviewer is ;), but the details, description, and photos had me hooked!

The description of a ā€œgrapefruit citrus bombā€ in a quality Italian croap sounds right up my alley. Cella Kilo is one of my all time favorites. I am interested to see how the OAM performance compares. And I love citrus scents soā€¦ thanks for enabling!

That is wonderful review! Haha. Thank you for the good words.

Most welcome; I hope you like/enjoy its scent and performance. Let me know your thoughts when possible. šŸ»
Ā 
"bravo!, bene!" is the translation. I'll add: Molto. Molto.

A gracious member here offered to send me a sampler to try. You know who you are, thank you again. I received it earlier today and had to give it a go. Here is my take on it:

Scent -- I found it enigmatic. It's refined, light, yet complex. It's a blend of fresh (Eucalyptus and fancy type of Mint candy), something I couldn't decipher (I suppose the Tabacco Tuscano fragrance) and sweetness (from what I read: vanilla). I normally stay away from anything that has menthol but in this case, it's different. There is zero tingling on the skin but adds to the scent's complexity.

Performance -- Slick. Slick. Slick. A small amount (almond size) produced an incredibly dense lather which yielded a ultra-close shave without nicks, cuts or irritation. The lather does not dry on the skin or die on the brush - enough to do 4-5 passes. I don't know if it was the cream alone or its combination with the Derby Extra blade (first time using it) but every shaving stroke was better than the last.

Post-Shave -- Equally impressive. Skin feels soft and hydrated. I didn't feel the need to apply anything afterwards.

SMN made its place in my Top 3 along side with OAM Oli del Benessere/Narjan and AdP (v2).
Agree, topnotch stuff with a topnotch tantalizing scent that I am still trying to wrap my mind around. Can't believe I only found out about its existence so recently. Also can't believe that I am willing, even eager, to shave with a menthol soap.

I've recently had thoughts about how I could be deliriously happy shaving only with SV forever, but now it would have to be SV and this wonderful Santa Maria Novella discovery, though realistically Mike's and my small stockpile of MWF tallow will make appearances.
Ā 
@Herrenberg The original pharmacy is in the basilica di santa maria novella in florence and has been active since yhe 1600ā€™s. Not sure where you live but the boutique in Manhattan is an extremely interesting visit.
Ā 

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Herrenberg The original pharmacy is in the basilica di santa maria novella in florence and has been active since the 1600ā€™s. Not sure where you live but the boutique in Manhattan is an extremely interesting visit.
Sir, actually all SMN boutiques are wonderful and here in Italy most major cities have one. It's a long time since visiting mine in Rome. I should make a comeback one of these days.
Ā 
I just bit the bullet and bought some SMN a couple of months back. I have been using RazorRock SMdF soap and aftershave and found them to be outstanding. The original SMN is even better. Nice, slick, dense lather that leaves my skin feeling awesome. Scent is similar to the RR version so I still use the RR aftershave and it works really well with the SMN. The only thing that could make the SMN a little better would be to upgrade the container. Seems a bit cheap for a $70 shaving cream. Overall though, I find it to be one of the best creams I've ever used.
Ā 
I just bit the bullet and bought some SMN a couple of months back. I have been using RazorRock SMdF soap and aftershave and found them to be outstanding. The original SMN is even better. Nice, slick, dense lather that leaves my skin feeling awesome. Scent is similar to the RR version so I still use the RR aftershave and it works really well with the SMN. The only thing that could make the SMN a little better would be to upgrade the container. Seems a bit cheap for a $70 shaving cream. Overall though, I find it to be one of the best creams I've ever used.
Hahaha, I got lucky. Wifey was in Florence on business, and sent a text saying she was in Santa Maria Novella. I said they have very expensive shave cream, and she said, "the church", lol. Anyways, she surprised me with a tub, and said not that expensive, only $39E. She's a keeper.
Ā 
That is wonderful review! Haha. Thank you for the good words.

Most welcome; I hope you like/enjoy its scent and performance. Let me know your thoughts when possible. šŸ»
@Golden_Edge Thoughts on OAM Stay Traditional:

I have used the Croap three times now and have it dialed in to my specs. Very slick and excellent post shave feel. Very much like Cella, but better smell and performance. My jar (or my nose) has a lighter grapefruit scent which is fantastic. Really enjoy the soap. Thanks for the review and the helping me find this gem!

Happy shaves brother!
Ā 
@Golden_Edge Thoughts on OAM Stay Traditional:

I have used the Croap three times now and have it dialed in to my specs. Very slick and excellent post shave feel. Very much like Cella, but better smell and performance. My jar (or my nose) has a lighter grapefruit scent which is fantastic. Really enjoy the soap. Thanks for the review and the helping me find this gem!

Happy shaves brother!

Most welcome and thanks for getting back! This is great to hear. Likewise brother, happy shaves! šŸ»
Ā 
I had tried SmN and SMdF,
and wanted to like the SMdF (I bought it firstā€¦) but it just wouldnt lather for me and my water (same with The Dead Sea)

to compare the two, specifically on scent of the soaps and splashes: the SMdF does seem a bit more tobbacco-ish, and less refined/complex than the SmN. The SMdF also seems to be a lot heavier on the Vanilla. Both have a lovely camphor component - just enough to feel invigorating, without blasting you with menthol (both about half as tingly as Proraso green, for example)
Ā 

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Can you speak to the similarities or differences between the SMN and the SMdF aftershave or colonia scents?
Ā 
Can you speak to the similarities or differences between the SMN and the SMdF aftershave or colonia scents?
I only have SMN soap and the SMdF aftershave. They complement each other nicely but donā€™t smell exactly the sameā€¦..but very close.
Ā 
Hello!

As the first reviewer here I usually stay away from menthol I would like to know if this soap could potentially induce the menthol feeling one could get on the skin?
Ā 
Hello!

As the first reviewer here I usually stay away from menthol I would like to know if this soap could potentially induce the menthol feeling one could get on the skin?
Yes, it does that. But mildly. I do not like menthol soaps, generally. Aqua Di Parma sent me running for the exits after one shave. With this one, I actually enjoy the gentle menthol sensation.
Ā 
Top Bottom