What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba

Just obtained a SM novella croap/aftershave set.

i like this very much!

I also own proraso green and razorock santa maria de fiore.

to compare the three:
1. Price
Proraso wins this category. SMdf a close second and SM Novella a VERY distant third

2. Performance
I rank SM Novella first in this category, Proraso second, SMdF Third.

SMN is nice and slick with great post-shave feel. My lather on my first use was a bit thin - but I think I may have used a bit too much water. (got a *great* shave, anyway…)

Proraso makes great lather, but not quite as slick as SMN.

SMdF Ive always stuggled to get good lather. Always a bit thin/runny, and just not as slick as the other two. Might be my water? But this, and the Dead Sea from Razorock are the only two soaps I have this issue with. (I even get GREAT lather from Mitchells Wool Fat)

3. Scent
SMN wins this category also. Just such a refined and balanced scent of eucalyptus/tobacco toscana/vanilla. with just a little Menthol/Camphor “zing”. The overall intensity is on the mild side, but also lasts a long time.

SMdF is close to the SMN in scent notes - but a LOT heavier on the Vanilla. This soap/as combo is also more camphor than menthol.

Proraso is a bit more synthetic or “clinical” in its scent profile- but I also like it very much. Just not quite as refined as SMN. Definitely the strongest methol/camphor of the three.

4. Packaging
Cant argue with the big glass jar/aluminum screw-top of SMdF. Glass bottle with aluminum screw-cap for the matching affershave. Very nice presentation/packaging of quality WAY above the cost/price-point. SMdF wind this one.

SMN has nice packaging. Nice classic labeling/design. The croap jar is of a unique, very tall plastic screw-top tub. the aftershave lotion has a nice frosted-glass bottle but the screw cap is chromed-plastic. Nice enough in appearance, but for the price, I would expect a bit better material quality.

Proraso packaging/presentation is utilitartian and straightforward. Perfectly functional and appropriate for the price-point.

Conclusion:
Overall, going forward, I think I will continue to use SMN and Proraso, but probably not SMdF - mostly for the too much vanilla in the scent and lack of slickness (in my opinion)

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s a classic, one of my daily drivers and the cream that I reach for when doing razor edge and hone tests.

Just obtained a SM novella croap/aftershave set.

i like this very much!

I also own proraso green and razorock santa maria de fiore.

to compare the three:
1. Price
Proraso wins this category. SMdf a close second and SM Novella a VERY distant third

2. Performance
I rank SM Novella first in this category, Proraso second, SMdF Third.

SMN is nice and slick with great post-shave feel. My lather on my first use was a bit thin - but I think I may have used a bit too much water. (got a *great* shave, anyway…)

Proraso makes great lather, but not quite as slick as SMN.

SMdF Ive always stuggled to get good lather. Always a bit thin/runny, and just not as slick as the other two. Might be my water? But this, and the Dead Sea from Razorock are the only two soaps I have this issue with. (I even get GREAT lather from Mitchells Wool Fat)

3. Scent
SMN wins this category also. Just such a refined and balanced scent of eucalyptus/tobacco toscana/vanilla. with just a little Menthol/Camphor “zing”. The overall intensity is on the mild side, but also lasts a long time.

SMdF is close to the SMN in scent notes - but a LOT heavier on the Vanilla. This soap/as combo is also more camphor than menthol.

Proraso is a bit more synthetic or “clinical” in its scent profile- but I also like it very much. Just not quite as refined as SMN. Definitely the strongest methol/camphor of the three.

4. Packaging
Cant argue with the big glass jar/aluminum screw-top of SMdF. Glass bottle with aluminum screw-cap for the matching affershave. Very nice presentation/packaging of quality WAY above the cost/price-point. SMdF wind this one.

SMN has nice packaging. Nice classic labeling/design. The croap jar is of a unique, very tall plastic screw-top tub. the aftershave lotion has a nice frosted-glass bottle but the screw cap is chromed-plastic. Nice enough in appearance, but for the price, I would expect a bit better material quality.

Proraso packaging/presentation is utilitartian and straightforward. Perfectly functional and appropriate for the price-point.

Conclusion:
Overall, going forward, I think I will continue to use SMN and Proraso, but probably not SMdF - mostly for the too much vanilla in the scent and lack of slickness (in my opinion)
I totally agree with you!

I was surprised the other day when I looked at my soaps that managed to stay in my rotation:
-Santa Maria Novella
-Martin de Candre Agrumes and Original
-Proraso White & Green

Somehow, all my tallow soaps have disappeared from my rotation...

Yes, the SMdF's packaging is more luxurious but IMHO too dangerous for the bathroom, heavy and slippery glass tub! The SMN soap performs much, much better than SMdF which in my case was not slick at all, and post shave feel was not good (dry skin).
What I immediately noticed when I first used SMN after using SMdF was the camphor. I'm used now to the scent and I love it, especially with the extra menthol!

I use the remaining SMdF aftershave (>1/2 bottle) now in combination with the SMN soap and they work nicely together! When it's finished, I'll definitely buy the SMN Tobacco Toscana aftershave. How would you compare the SMdF and SMN aftershaves?

Top Bottom