What's new

Italian Royalty: SmN and AdP

I thought I would offer-up a quick review/compare/contrast for two of the most revered creams from Italy:
Santa Maria Novella
Acqua di Parma

Cost
These are both pretty pricey choices, especially if you also purchase the matching aftershaves.
Are they worth it?
In my experience, yes.
Both in performance and scent, these two really are sublime.
And to note: You do receive a large quantity (especially the SmN), and both are pretty concentrated (especially the AdP). I haven't done the math on number of shaves per container? But I bet this lessens the sticker shock a bit.
Winner: Tie

Scent
These two creams are very different from eachother with regard to scent.
SmN is a lovely "tobacco toscana" which is actually pretty hard to characterize. It's complex, a little sharp, and not at all sweet. Green-leaf tobacco and eucalyptus. There is a tinge of vanilla in there, along with camphor. It's very refreshing and slightly to the darker side of neutral.
AdP, being a "colonia", is a complex mixture of citrus and light woodiness. It's certainly brighter than the SmN, but all of the scent components are very balanced, and no single ingredient dominates. (this is not a lemon-blast colonia) Adp is definitely brighter than the SmN, but only a touch above neutral. This is not a sweet, or candied complex, but more just fresh and light.
I really like them both, but if had to choose, the SmN is really my jam.
Winner: SmN

Lather
Here is were these two differ a bit, for me (and my water)
The AdP very easily explodes into a nice thick lather, from just a pea-sized dap of cream.
The SmN takes a bit more product AND work, for me. It also produces nice lather, but noticibly less dense/cushion than the AdP. I don't mind this at all - I tend to like my lather a little wet/runny, anyway.
Winner: AdP

Glide
Maybe because these two are such concentrated creams, the slickness/glide for both is just outstanding.
After the first pass, I could probably do another just on the residual slickness.
But of course, I don't, because i just love massaging these into my face with a boar as much as possible. ;-)

Conclusion
I toiled for a few years over these two. I read all of the raving reviews, but kept balking at the cost. And it's still a risk to buy a product, based upon crowd-sourced reviews alone. Eventually, the idea just gnawed at me long enough, that I broke-down. The SmN showed-up on the Forum BST last Fall, so I jumped on it - and was very pleasantly surprised. (surprised isn't probably the right word. "affirmed", maybe). And this week, I received the AdP, after scouring the internet for the best price I could find. I hedged my bets a bit, and haven't purchased the matching aftershave (tonic), but I will be adding that this week, for sure. With both of these, after acquiring, my first reaction was: "Why did I reserve myself from these two wonderful products for so long?"

Last edited:
My two favourite shaving creams there, and I agree with every single thing you said.

A couple of comments about the aftershaves….

The Acqua di Parma aftershave lotion (‘Tonico Dopobarba’) is the best aftershave I’ve ever used, bar none. Aside from the wonderful AdP Colonia scent, which lasts decently long, this lotion makes my skin feel amazing. It is absorbed into the skin pretty quickly and there is no sticky residue. AdP offers several post-shave products in the Colonia scent but the Tonico Dopobarba is really something special.

The Santa Maria Novella aftershave has the matching Tabacco Toscana scent but all of the Tabacco Toscana products smell a bit different and I think the aftershave is their best version of this scent. The shaving cream has quite a lot of menthol, which the aftershave doesn’t. And the cologne version of the SMN Tabacco Toscana is a bit more flowery and it lacks the slightly dark bite of tobacco that the aftershave has. I really love the Tabacco Toscana aftershave scent and, while it complements the cream, it is an exceptionally good and satisfying scent to wear, and it is worth getting just for that. It will surprise you a bit, but in a very good way.

AdP offers several post-shave products in the Colonia scent but the Tonico Dopobarba is really something special.

I really love the Tabacco Toscana aftershave scent and, while it complements the cream, it is an exceptionally good and satisfying scent to wear, and it is worth getting just for that. It will surprise you a bit, but in a very good way.
yep, I planned on the AdP Tonico, and not the other balm/lotion...

The SmN aftershave is indeed just glorious.
Really caps-off a wonderful shaving experience.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I would agree with the posts so far, as long as we’re talking about v3 of each, the current versions. As mentioned they’re not as expensive to use as you might think from the prices. However, these are not products for value shoppers. Here are some buying tips.

SMN: Only buy directly from SMN. If you buy from third parties, you will not get a cheaper price, at least not in the US. I believe SMN does not allow their products to be discounted. People have gotten old product from 3rd parties. SMN offers free shipping a couple of times a year, so you can get a 220ml tub for $71 delivered in the US, which amounts to a 15% discount.

AdP: Very expensive in the US, about $90 now I think. Use the ‘Martin de Candre’ method and buy two tubs from a EU vendor for about $45 each and the shipping will likely be the same as one tub. Yourshaving and G&C might be good places to look, and offer reasonable shipping if you’re willing to wait a week to ten days. AdP is mind-bogglingly concentrated, with a 24mm brush, a bit the size of a small pea, about 1/3 gram, will give you enough lather for 2-3 passes. If you dole the cream our carefully, you might get close to a year from a tub. And if you use an ‘almond’ sized amount, you’ll need to bowl lather in your sink with a Chubby 6 and you’ll have enough lather to shave a moose.

For the fragrances, you can find reputable discounters in the US for AdP. Fragrancedotnet is good but the prices are all over the place. Clicking on a link in their promotional emails usually doesn’t get you the best price. For 6oz of the AdP Edt, the email prices range from $129-169. Going directly to their site got me the 6oz bottle for $103. I had to wonder if it was real, but it is, factory sealed and the scent is unmistakably Colonia. I’ve ordered different things from them a few times and always had a good experience, but be prepared to be spammed at your email address.

The SMN potions, AFAIK are not discounted. The Tobacco Toscano line is very potently scented, and I prefer to dilute the TT after shave lotion with a little water, which I think smells better on me and probably doubles the product life. The balm is an old school citrus, so don’t buy it expecting Tobacco Toscano. It is quite good though.

IMG_8365.jpeg

AdP: Very expensive in the US, about $90 now I think.

For the fragrances, you can find reputable discounters in the US for AdP. Fragrancedotnet is good but the prices are all over the place.

I ordered the AdP cream from Perfumesclub.com.
Was $66.99 (USD) delivered. Came from Spain, I believe?

I did just order the AdP Tonic from FragranceNet.com.
Was $68.70 shipped for the Tonic plus some 4711 to get to free shipping.
and am getting "spammed" about twice daily, now. :-(
Clicked on "unsubsribe". Let's see if that takes any effect in a few days...

Steve56

and am getting "spammed" about twice daily, now. :-(
Clicked on "unsubsribe". Let's see if that takes any effect in a few days...

The latest tactic is that when you order something, they sign you up for multiple email spam lists. For example:

- our newsletter
- our sales
- weekly specials
- monthly specials
- holiday specials
- whatever

And so on. Unsubscribe every single time that you get an email that you don’t want. I sent flowers to friends for hospitality during a visit, and I was signed up for about - no kidding - 10 different categories from the florist. If I left even one I would still get the spam. Scumbags.

Glide
Maybe because these two are such concentrated creams, the slickness/glide for both is just outstanding.
After the first pass, I could probably do another just on the residual slickness.
But of course, I don't, because i just love massaging these into my face with a boar as much as possible. ;-)
I'm going to recant this, slightly.

After using the AdP multiple times,
I do find the glide/slickness to be lesser than SmN.
I find that this is true, especially,
if you try to be very economical with the amount of product you use to lather.
The AdP does indeed make a surprising amount of lather from a small amount,
but if you skimp too much, that lather seems to lose its cushion and slickness.
I still get a good shave, but the razor head is just a bit more "draggy" than I like.
To combat this, I just use a bit larger "pea-sized" portion and concede that I'll have just have excess/leftovers than get rinsed down the drain...

So,

Where does the ABC cream fit into this? I have both AdP and SMN and love both, slight pref to SMN. I love a thick dense lather that is slick without being watery. I think that’s where both of these creams shine.

enjoy both my (older) tubs of SMN and ADP!
But, not to forget a totally great XXX cream from Joe/Razorock.
Oh, is there anything special about Italian creams??
IMHO, the Italians seem to be best known for their almond-scented croaps!

FWIW, I've recently enjoyed two French creams; altho basic scents, these are exceptional shavers!

3 creams.jpg

enjoy both my (older) tubs of SMN and ADP!
But, not to forget a totally great XXX cream from Joe/Razorock.
Oh, is there anything special about Italian creams??
IMHO, the Italians seem to be best known for their almond-scented croaps!

FWIW, I've recently enjoyed two French creams; altho basic scents, these are exceptional shavers!

View attachment 1664578
Razorock XXX is a copy of Acqua di Parma. But it’s very good soap and cheaper than the real thing.

Razorock also has Santa Maria del Fiore, which is a copy of the Santa Maria Novella. I think I like it a bit more than Santa Maria Novella, since it is lighter on the menthol/eucalyptus and the tobacco scent comes out more.

Definitely recommend both of these Razorock soaps, though I love the originals.

Razorock XXX is a copy of Acqua di Parma. But it’s very good soap and cheaper than the real thing.

Razorock also has Santa Maria del Fiore, which is a copy of the Santa Maria Novella. I think I like it a bit more than Santa Maria Novella, since it is lighter on the menthol/eucalyptus and the tobacco scent comes out more.

Definitely recommend both of these Razorock soaps, though I love the originals.

yes, indeed, all are nice shave creams/croaps!

3 italians.jpg

Steve56

Where does the ABC cream fit into this? I have both AdP and SMN and love both, slight pref to SMN. I love a thick dense lather that is slick without being watery. I think that’s where both of these creams shine.

ABC cream is a high quality almond-scented cream, and is the best of the lot. It is, at this time, likely the most expensive shaving soap. Worth the price? You’ll just have to try it and see.

It is one of the ‘prime beef’ of shaving soaps.

ABC cream is a high quality almond-scented cream, and is the best of the lot. It is, at this time, likely the most expensive shaving soap. Worth the price? You’ll just have to try it and see.

It is one of the ‘prime beef’ of shaving soaps.
You’re the one that persuaded me to try SMN now I’m finding myself using more creams than hard soaps haha. Such an awesome cream.

I def love me some prime ribeye cap! I have to try the ABC. I think something is up with their website. It shows my cart is empty when I click to check out. Thanks for the response!

I'm going to recant this, slightly.

After using the AdP multiple times,
I do find the glide/slickness to be lesser than SmN.
I find that this is true, especially,
if you try to be very economical with the amount of product you use to lather.
The AdP does indeed make a surprising amount of lather from a small amount,
but if you skimp too much, that lather seems to lose its cushion and slickness.
I still get a good shave, but the razor head is just a bit more "draggy" than I like.
To combat this, I just use a bit larger "pea-sized" portion and concede that I'll have just have excess/leftovers than get rinsed down the drain...

So,

I agree with your assessment. As good as AdP's slickness is, SMN is even better.

Top Bottom