What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba

I recently received an unexpected bonus and decided to purchase Santa Maria Novella's Crema da Barba. It's certainly the most expensive shaving cream I've ever bought (USD 71). But boy, is it a dream to shave with! The scent is quite mild - some menthol (very little) and a very pleasant Tabacco Toscano cologne mixed in. For those who like an understated scent, this is for you. The shave was fantastic. My Kai Captain Excelia slid right along like it was on ice. It left my skin remarkably smooth and hydrated. Overall, I right this cream an A/A+ easily. The downside, of course, is the price, though the tub is 220ml (7.4 oz.), making it a little easier for the price-conscious. I wrote to SMN suggesting they offer a sample/smaller size (like the canned shaving cream), but I haven't heard back. For those on the fence, take the leap. I don't think you will be disappointed. Hope everyone has a great day!

Shaving-Cream-2334.jpg

I just finished a sample of this. I agree, excellent, one of the best I've tried. It was easier to get, I might invest in some.

I started out with the Razorock clone Santa Maria del Fiore and like it very much. Once I’m through with it (big glass) I will get the real deal just for giggles. The price of the tub doesn’t scare me but that of the AS and Cologne…

View attachment 1492175

RazoRocks SMdF is great stuff, especially considering the very reasonable price. I do like the original SMN better (I like the slightly stronger Menthol and feel it performs a little better), but both are wonderful.

RazoRocks SMdF is great stuff, especially considering the very reasonable price. I do like the original SMN better (I like the slightly stronger Menthol and feel it performs a little better), but both are wonderful.
I like the camphor/vanilla combo with the tobacco toscano connecting both contrasts. The menthol of SMdF is mild but absolutely sufficient.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yes, it's a top quality, premium product. That said, I still have a preference for RazoRock's Santa Maria del Fiore: pretty much equal performance, but much better presentation packaging and half the price. The SMdF aftershave is superb, too.

Unfortunately, I found it too strong and it didn’t agree with my skin. The only “luxury” soap that has worked for me is MdC.

Yes, it's a top quality, premium product. That said, I still have a preference for RazoRock's Santa Maria del Fiore: pretty much equal performance, but much better presentation packaging and half the price. The SMdF aftershave is superb, too.
Thanks Marco. From all the responses, it looks like that can be safely added to my already far too long acquisition-to-be list!

Funny story, I was moving countries and had excess weight the airline wouldn’t take. I didn’t have anywhere or anyone to leave part of my stuff with.

Razorock SMdF was one of the things I threw away at the airport bin that day. I carried the real SMN with me.

I wasn’t very fond of SMdF. Too soft, like a pudding, there’s too much water in it. In true Razorock fashion, they cut corners to make it cheap, but for me it’s absurd the amount of water you pay for in this product. It’s an ok knock off but not close to the real SMN, in my opinion.

I wasn’t very fond of SMdF. Too soft, like a pudding, there’s too much water in it. In true Razorock fashion, they cut corners to make it cheap, but for me it’s absurd the amount of water you pay for in this product. It’s an ok knock off but not close to the real SMN, in my opinion.
They fixed the consistency with the second version. It has about the same consistency as Proraso in the green tub. It also has waterproof labels. 250g of this soap in the glass jar for $14 on sale seemed pretty reasonable. I like the short and simple ingredient list. It's an Italian soft soap with extra lanolin and a nice scent.

Top Bottom