What's new

Santa Maria Novella - What's "hear! hear!" in Italian?

"bravo!, bene!" is the translation. I'll add: Molto. Molto.

A gracious member here offered to send me a sampler to try. You know who you are, thank you again. I received it earlier today and had to give it a go. Here is my take on it:

Scent -- I found it enigmatic. It's refined, light, yet complex. It's a blend of fresh (Eucalyptus and fancy type of Mint candy), something I couldn't decipher (I suppose the Tabacco Tuscano fragrance) and sweetness (from what I read: vanilla). I normally stay away from anything that has menthol but in this case, it's different. There is zero tingling on the skin but adds to the scent's complexity.

Performance -- Slick. Slick. Slick. A small amount (almond size) produced an incredibly dense lather which yielded a ultra-close shave without nicks, cuts or irritation. The lather does not dry on the skin or die on the brush - enough to do 4-5 passes. I don't know if it was the cream alone or its combination with the Derby Extra blade (first time using it) but every shaving stroke was better than the last.

Post-Shave -- Equally impressive. Skin feels soft and hydrated. I didn't feel the need to apply anything afterwards.

SMN made its place in my Top 3 along side with OAM Oli del Benessere/Narjan and AdP (v2).

Last edited:
It’s one of the best, and I never get bored of the scent.

The question is, Santa Maria Novella or Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore? Similar but different enough. I think I lean toward the Razorock for soap but the SMN Tabacco Toscano for aftershave.

Last edited:
Nice review. Definitely appreciated the “top 3” list. I went out and grabbed an OAM to try!

Thank you.

OAM is outstanding; I hope you enjoy. Which scent did you get?

It’s one of the best, and I never get bored of the scent.

The question is, Santa Maria Novella or Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore? Similar but different enough. I think I lean toward the Razorock for soap but the SMN Tabacco Toscano for aftershave.

It's a great scent. I personally wish the menthol was dialed down and the tobacco up.

I read SMdF has more tobacco note, would you agree?

I have Tobacco Toscano cologne and its one of my favorites. Acqua di Cuba is another tobacco scent from SMV that is to die for.

If I ever went back to a brush. This soap would be my only one. It is worth the $70.

Jack Black: 'Don't you dare'

jack-black.jpg

It's a great scent. I personally wish the menthol was dialed down and the tobacco up.

I read SMdF has more tobacco note, would you agree?
Yes, I get more tobacco and less menthol in the Razorock SMdF. That’s why I think I prefer it.

But you should also try the SMN Tobacco Toscano aftershave lotion (tonico dopobarba). That has no menthol at all and quite a good dose of tobacco with a slight smokiness in the background. It’s a lovely scent, not overdone, well judged and nicely vintage feeling. The aftershave lotion also has more tobacco than the Tobacco Toscano cologne and I prefer the aftershave to the cologne - it’s more earthy and less dressy. I think you would like it too, judging by your comments.

Yes, I get more tobacco and less menthol in the Razorock SMdF. That’s why I think I prefer it.

But you should also try the SMN Tobacco Toscano aftershave lotion (tonico dopobarba). That has no menthol at all and quite a good dose of tobacco with a slight smokiness in the background. It’s a lovely scent, not overdone, well judged and nicely vintage feeling. The aftershave lotion also has more tobacco than the Tobacco Toscano cologne and I prefer the aftershave to the cologne - it’s more earthy and less dressy. I think you would like it too, judging by your comments.
It would be nice if Acqua di Cuba came in a shaving soap.

Good to know, thank you.

I will definitely try SMN's aftershaves and colognes. I visited the London location few months ago but it was in a bit of a hurry and I don't recall anything. I am planning to visit one of the stores in NYC and take my time this time.

Good to know, thank you.

I will definitely try SMN's aftershaves and colognes. I visited the London location few months ago but it was in a bit of a hurry and I don't recall anything. I am planning to visit one of the stores in NYC and take my time this time.
The London store on Piccadilly? It’s near my office. The store is a bit overwhelming because it’s hardly big enough for one person and there’s so much SMN stuff crammed in there. It’s a pretty shop but hard to browse when you’re never more than a foot away from the assistant. They’re really helpful, though, if you have time to try stuff.

Good to know, thank you.

I live near the store in SoHo on Lafayette Street. It is a treat. The entire neighborhood is filled with fragrance stores.

The London store on Piccadilly? It’s near my office. The store is a bit overwhelming because it’s hardly big enough for one person and there’s so much SMN stuff crammed in there. It’s a pretty shop but hard to browse when you’re never more than a foot away from the assistant. They’re really helpful, though, if you have time to try stuff.

Yes that one at the entrance of an arcade (or end depending on where one enters from). Agreed; small but very nice store. London is a lovely city and I can't wait to return -- when there are less tourists!

Shaved with SMN cream this morning and immediately followed it up with the aftershave. If anyone only has the cream and enjoys the scent, go for the Tabacco Toscano after shave lotion - it's an amazing combo!

Have the shave cream. It is very good, have to agree with that, but wish there was less eucalyptus and menthol. Going to be in Madrid in 2 months. Will look to pick up the aftershave balm, as well as check out AdP as well.

Top Bottom