What's new

Sandlewood Scented Soap

@Racquet it depends what kind of Sandalwood scent you’re looking for.

Personally, I don’t care for true sandalwood scent—like sandalwood essential oil. It’s a heavy, sickening sweet smell.

That’s why I immediately gave away my Proraso Red soap. So, if it’s true sandalwood you’re looking for, Proraso is that. It’s like an authentic sandalwood scent with and earthy tone to it.

However, I do enjoy sandalwood blends or more cologne-like sandalwood scents like AoS and Fine. They’re almost identical with AoS being more cologne-like.

Soap Commander sandalwood smelled nothing like sandalwood to me. It was just a nice soapy scent. Same thing with Ambition. A little on the cologne side of things.

Those are the only soaps I’ve tried. Hope it helps!

I have this:
th-0554-400x400.jpg

Smells fantastic. The bowl and presentation are top notch too.
The soaps is good as well.

Recommended.

I really enjoy Taylor of old bond street Sandal wood & Proraso Sandalwood Red aftershave combo.:001_wub:
Top 5 great soaps you & I use!

Top 5 soaps that I really enjoy and if folks are looking at some possible soaps that might be your enjoyable ones also.
When it comes to finding information on soaps it is so user bias and it's hard to make a purchase so I was thinking a way of giving the information to shavers who were thinking of a new soap and what to look for.
Barrister & Mann Seville: Very nice soft soap and creates a great lather and it can be a thirsty soap so don't worry about adding a little water, it has some floral & citrus scents and when smelling dry soap in the tub it does not do it justice until you add some water and moisten the lather it becomes a more powerful great scent. B&M are leaders in the artisan soap makers world for making slick and great lather soaps but at a premium.
Haslinger Schafmilch : Great soap and does not have powerful scent but it has a fresh clean scent and the lather is one of the best IMO. The pucks are a little small but it's worth the $10.00 US a puck and they have different scents also. The post shave is were it shines IMO because the skin feels soft and hydrated one of the best out of these 5 soaps. Been around for a long time so that is usually a good reason to buy something that survives a competitive shaving soap industry.
RazoRock XXX: One of my first croaps and it has never let me down when it comes to a nice sweet floral & citrus scent that is tranquil and makes me feel great, the lather slickness is good and post shave is also great and is reasonably priced for the quality you receive in their black tubs.
Tabac: Great all around triple milled soap that is very hard to beat by the competition. It has a strong tobacco flower citrus fresh scent that drives some shavers away but I have gotten more close shaves with Tabac than the best claiming soaps. It is a thirsty soap and a moist lather on 1st,2nd and 3rd passes will give great slickness and less problems for nicks and weepers.(The scent could be the only weakness but I do not find it offensive.)
Taylor of old Bond St: The scent alone is worth just buying IMO, its been around for a long time and is one of my very favorites scent wise, the slickness is normal and lathering is not a hard whip up under 1 minute. The croap is made in England and they have other great scents also like all soap manufactures now a days. It is a bit pricey but still worth IMO if funds are available.
20180705_170624-86903-b-b-top-5-soaps-2-jpg.895878

All the best!What comes around goes around in time

Awesome chart.

I'm not doing too darn bad for a beginner, I have (2) of your favorite soaps. :001_smile

So far this is where I'm at. Of course I'm doing it wrong, that's the fun of jumping head first into wet shaving. lol

Merkur 34G Golden Bulldog with Feather 1st Pass
Merkur 34C Bulldog with Derby 2nd Pass
Mach3 for touch up 1mm under nose and corners of mouth

Ordered:
TOBS Sandalwood and Grapefruit - really great
Cella - did not work out, 15minutes of whipping for creamy peaks? :001_huh:
Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe and Seville - love them both, wish the Cologne Russe was much stronger
PAA - Gondolier Beach and Aqua DG - shipping tomorrow :001_smile

...should have grabbed a RasoRock XXX from PAA for $9.99, oh well, next time.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Awesome chart.

I'm not doing too darn bad for a beginner, I have (2) of your favorite soaps. :001_smile

So far this is where I'm at. Of course I'm doing it wrong, that's the fun of jumping head first into wet shaving. lol

Merkur 34G Golden Bulldog with Feather 1st Pass
Merkur 34C Bulldog with Derby 2nd Pass
Mach3 for touch up 1mm under nose and corners of mouth

Ordered:
TOBS Sandalwood and Grapefruit - really great
Cella - did not work out, 15minutes of whipping for creamy peaks? :001_huh:
Barrister & Mann Cologne Russe and Seville - love them both, wish the Cologne Russe was much stronger
PAA - Gondolier Beach and Aqua DG - shipping tomorrow :001_smile

...should have grabbed a RasoRock XXX from PAA for $9.99, oh well, next time.
That's interesting to use three razors to complete shave passes with different blades, There is only a few that use that method and now I might have to try that one. When using a Mingshi 2000 (Futur clone)I have tried a different razor for the few odd hairs to chop under the nose area but usually not a problem with the Ming shi 2000. I have lots of razors just itching to get to use.... . As you perfect your technique you will more than likely resort to one or two razors.:a17:

Pardon my French, but WTH? I don’t think I’ve ever had a lather take longer than 5 minutes at build up. Cella doesn’t take long at all, a couple minutes maybe.

Exaggeration at it's finest. :001_smile

My arm was getting tired, seemed like a crazy long time.

That's interesting to use three razors to complete shave passes with different blades, There is only a few that use that method and now I might have to try that one. When using a Mingshi 2000 (Futur clone)I have tried a different razor for the few odd hairs to chop under the nose area but usually not a problem with the Ming shi 2000. I have lots of razors just itching to get to use.... . As you perfect your technique you will more than likely resort to one or two razors.:a17:

Yea definitely still experimenting.

I LOVE the feel of the Feather for 1st pass WTG 24hrs growth. Yet it's way too sharp for 2nd pass XTG neck and lips under nose, even on the third daily use.

Derby 1st Pass does work for me, but doesn't FEEL as great.

Right now my favorite shave is:

Feather/Golden 34G Bulldog 1st pass
Derby/Silver 34C Bulldog 2nd pass
Mach3 very slight touch up almost not needed the Derby works so well in those sensitive areas.

I've gone 7days 7shaves same two blades, but prefer to move to new Feather and new Derby every three shaves.

I'm most likely overthinking - overcomplicating the shave, but it's FUN! :001_smile

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yea definitely still experimenting.

I LOVE the feel of the Feather for 1st pass WTG 24hrs growth. Yet it's way too sharp for 2nd pass XTG neck and lips under nose, even on the third daily use.

Derby 1st Pass does work for me, but doesn't FEEL as great.

Right now my favorite shave is:

Feather/Golden 34G Bulldog 1st pass
Derby/Silver 34C Bulldog 2nd pass
Mach3 very slight touch up almost not needed the Derby works so well in those sensitive areas.

I've gone 7days 7shaves same two blades, but prefer to move to new Feather and new Derby every three shaves.

I'm most likely overthinking - overcomplicating the shave, but it's FUN! :001_smile
What I did and it's just a rule of thumb for myself, most of my shaves with different blades where between 5-7 shaves of approx 2 1/2 pass per shave for the first 6 months of shaving so I just averaged and try not to go pass 6 shaves unless the blade is just performing beyond expectations. It seems we all have different beard types so YMMV for blade toss cycles.

I have this: View attachment 921554
Smells fantastic. The bowl and presentation are top notch too.
The soaps is good as well.

Recommended.

I'm a fan of the DR Harris sandalwood soap and aftershave. I was curious about T&H, did a google and ran across the wooden bowl for $22. I'm a sucker for a nice wooden bowl so I couldn't pass it up, excited to give it a try it!

Trufitt, Trumper, and TOBS all outsource their hard soaps to a third party. Okay soap, but not worth a premium price.

Their creams are still legit, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pardon my French, but WTH? I don’t think I’ve ever had a lather take longer than 5 minutes at build up. Cella doesn’t take long at all, a couple minutes maybe.

Kind of surprised to hear Cella was hard to lather up quickly as well.

For me it's one of the easiest to get a quick lather in my den.

I'm a fan of the DR Harris sandalwood soap and aftershave. I was curious about T&H, did a google and ran across the wooden bowl for $22. I'm a sucker for a nice wooden bowl so I couldn't pass it up, excited to give it a try it!

My DR Harris soap is bobbins :( Worst Soap i have. (For actual performance)
My TH is much better.

I have used quite a few sandalwood soaps over the years. I really liked the scent of the old, tallow AOS sandalwood, but it irritated my skin. On the other hand, the Haslinger sandalwood performed wonderfully, with no irritation, but I really did not like the scent. I found the scent of the D.R. Harris sandalwood somewhat overpowering, but I still use (and enjoy) the aftershave splash from D.R. Harris. Currently I have Proraso Red and Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood soaps. I used the Proraso on Sunday and the C&E this morning. As has been mentioned already, the Proraso sandalwood is very sharp and hasn't been mellowed out with other fragrances. To me the C&E is the typical sandalwood cologne fragrance that I have always enjoyed. Unfortunately, I wouldn't put either of these soaps in the top performance category. Don't get me wrong - you can and should get abundant lather and a satisfactory shave, but they fall short of the luxurious lather of the best soaps. Although I haven't tried their sandalwood, for example, the WSP Formula T soaps are excellent performers and that may be the next sandalwood soap I try (although right now I have so many soaps that I don't see myself purchasing anything soon).

Top Bottom