What's new

Sandalwood..not for me

I love AOS Coates and T&H sandalwood scents (shave creams all). TOBS, not so much.

Every time I open my TOBS cream my wife comments on how pungent it is...and that's not a happy comment.

I've got an EJ sandalwood soap that's nice and really like the TOBS sandalwood splash (haven't tried their soaps/cremes for comparison though, those might be more intense). Haven't noticed any burnt smell to either of those.

I also picked up some AOS sandalwood balm, but still need to adjust to how much more intense the scent is on that. Also, to me the strongest component in the AOS balm is closer to leather than wood.

Personally I went so long using unscented stuff that I still prefer the less intensely scented stuff most times - initially just the residual smell from the EJ soap felt unusual 4-6 hrs after shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried the Edwin Jagger Sandalwood/Muhle Pinsel Sandalwood. I have to say, that one is a must. Very different compared to any sandalwood I tried in the past.

The funny thing about Sandalwood is that the essential oil is so expensive, it's almost always scented with synthetic fragrance oil, and FOs aren't as consistent as EOs. Thus, there's a huge variation in sandalwood scents, and liking one doesn't mean you won't dislike another, and vice versa. If you want to try a really good, "true" sandalwood, try the Art of Shaving sandalwood (the shave soap is especially good). I believe that's EO-scented, and it's a great deal less of the "burnt wood" smell you're describing.

The funny thing about Sandalwood is that the essential oil is so expensive, it's almost always scented with synthetic fragrance oil, and FOs aren't as consistent as EOs.

Actually, my experience has been that it's the other way around. I'm constantly on the hunt for good sandalwood EO. There's a great deal of variation even within Santalum Album. It depends on where the wood comes from, how old the wood is, what part of the wood is used for distillation (heartwood vs. root), what kind of shape the wood is in prior to distillation, what kind of distillation is done (hydro? steam?), the temperature the oil is distilled at ... the variables are endless.

By contrast, aromachemicals are just that: chemicals. These are manufactured quantities that do not vary -- they're stable. To my (admittedly elementary) knowledge, there are at least several "sandalwood" aromachemicals. Therefore, the variation in scent comes into play based on which chemicals are used and how they're blended.

I tried the Edwin Jagger Sandalwood/Muhle Pinsel Sandalwood. I have to say, that one is a must. Very different compared to any sandalwood I tried in the past.

Yes sir, Luc. I don't even know if I'd have called it sandalwood had the package not indicated it, but I like it a lot. It smells a little funny right off the puck but lathered up (or in their balm) it is sublime.

Real Sandalwood Essential oil wholesales for about $94/10 ml which is why what you are smelling varies so very much. I can't imagine what a product that is scented with it would cost... :scared:

Interesting, how many ml's usually go into a 4oz shave soap?

Top Bottom