What's new

Sandalwood..not for me

i see sandalwood all the time on the forum so i decided to try a bar. smelled like burnt wood. i melted it down and gave it to my aunt for hand soap.

i like it mixed with a dozen other scents but on its own..shew.

im prb in the small minority that doesnt like the scent..anyone else?

The issue I have found with sandalwood scented soaps/creams/as/edt is the variation in scents. I remember when I first smelled TOBS sandalwood cream I hated it and swore off all sandalwood scented stuff since I didn't want to smell like I got dressed down wind from a bonfire. Later I smelled Geo. Trumpers Sandalwood EdT as well as DR Harris Sandalwood and fell in love with them both. They don't smell anything alike (IMHO) but are still both great sandalwood scents none the less. To my nose, neither have that smoky/burnt wood smell that so many people love but thats not what I want in a sandalwood scent.

I guess what I'm trying to say by rambling is don't let one product claiming to be a particular scent sway your opinion on the whole category. You could be missing out on some great products.

There are many, many different scents that claim to be sandalwood.

Some are fantastic and some are horrible. Try TOBS or AOS for top notch scents. :thumbup1:

Or, alternatively, go to a decent natural foods store & try to find some actual Santalum Album. That way, you'll know what the real thing smells like.

Be aware that there are many different species of sandalwood and not all of them smell the same. Also, be aware that due to constant demand, genuine Santalum Album is becoming harder & harder to source. Sadly, it's also become more & more expensive, which is why most sandalwood-scented items are made using synthetic fragrance oils.

Try to get some different samples, as before mentioned two sandalwood is not sandalwood.
My first experience with sandalwood was C&E, I hated it and thought the same as you, then I got a sample of QCS and it was a whole different scent and I found myself to really enjoy it so I got a tub of Vulfix sandalwood cream, another different scent with a quite present scent of ginger, this has become one of my favorite creams.
At that point I figured that I should get a sandalwood AS, and based on ofther members experience D.R. Harris was the natural choice, haven't regret for a second! Probably the best AS I got in my den!

I went from sandalwood hate to sandalwood love, it might be worth it to try a few other brands.

I have had a few different sandalwood scents and the only one I will stick with is SCS sandalwood. The scent is very good and a little on the sweeter side. I also have the SCS sandalwood splash and cream. Both smell the same and perform superbly! She also sent a sample of her sandalwood cologne and it smells wonderful. I would still like to try QCS' and AOS' sandalwood creams to see if I like their scents also.

In general I agree with the OP. I dislike most sandalwood scents. The Trumper's samples I've tried smell like old woman. There are more pleasant varients, but the ones I like are more artificial. You might try Muhle/Edwin Jagger's varient.

I like sandalwood but none of the stuff I have tried smells like it. I tried Tobs sandalwood shave soap and cologne and its horrid it smells like my grandmas closet full of cloths she hasnt worn in 50 years. On the other hand Edwin Jagger sandalwood smell wonderful although its more of a sweet smell

I've had many bad things that claimed to be 'sandlewood'. There are some good ones out there. The one that I like the best is the AOS shave soap (not the cream). Most scents are all over the board depending on the cost and care the manufacturer puts into the product.

Over time, try a number of them. Chances are, one will work for you.

Real Sandalwood Essential oil wholesales for about $94/10 ml which is why what you are smelling varies so very much. I can't imagine what a product that is scented with it would cost... :scared:

Real Sandalwood Essential oil wholesales for about $94/10 ml which is why what you are smelling varies so very much. I can't imagine what a product that is scented with it would cost... :scared:

I just looked on the bottle of ej sandalwood balm I have it says sandalwood oil in the ingredients not sure if thats the eo or a fo though. The sandalwood eo I bought in the fall was $69.98 + tax from a local health food store for a 15ml bottle

I LOVE AOS Sandalwood. I hated Cyril Salter's Indian Sandalwood (smelled like strong incense...too much for the face).

It's a love it or hate it thing. There really isn't an in between. And even Sandalwood lovers don't love all Sandalwoods. I think a lot of them are fake synthetic scents because the EO is so expensive. AOS is pure Sandalwood EO so it's a good rule of thumb.

I have had a few different sandalwood scents and the only one I will stick with is SCS sandalwood. The scent is very good and a little on the sweeter side. I also have the SCS sandalwood splash and cream. Both smell the same and perform superbly! She also sent a sample of her sandalwood cologne and it smells wonderful. I would still like to try QCS' and AOS' sandalwood creams to see if I like their scents also.

Endorse.

I don't like sandalwood in general, and I think the AoS sandalwood shaving soap smells horrible.

However, I'm wearing the SCS sandalwood EDC today. It is truly a great sandalwood scent. I don't know whether SCS still has any of this stuff, but if you like sandalwood at all you should contact them and try to buy it before it's gone (if it isn't already). It's that good.

im prb in the small minority that doesnt like the scent..anyone else?
Scents are always highly subjective. I'm not sure anyone has performed a statistically significant analysis to determine what the majority and minority are for various scents.

As stated above, don't assume that one sample represents all other sandalwoods out there.

Endorse.

I don't like sandalwood in general, and I think the AoS sandalwood shaving soap smells horrible.

However, I'm wearing the SCS sandalwood EDC today. It is truly a great sandalwood scent. I don't know whether SCS still has any of this stuff, but if you like sandalwood at all you should contact them and try to buy it before it's gone (if it isn't already). It's that good.

So do I and I got it as a gift from the girlfriend who loves the scent, so there's not much I can do but leave it exposed and hope the scent fades a bit.

I love AOS Coates and T&H sandalwood scents (shave creams all). TOBS, not so much.

Every time I open my TOBS cream my wife comments on how pungent it is...and that's not a happy comment.

Top Bottom