What's new

Salty Note In Brut

Hey guys, Just a quick question I haven't used Brut in years but I got a bottle of the after shave at Wal-Mart the other day. I used to use the splash on only back in the day. Since the after shave is more concentrated than the splash on I could smell more notes and complexity. There is this salty or saltish note in there I wonder what note would this be.

Could be wrong but I think it is basil, and how it mingles with the lavender and citrus. The Brut aftershave scent is over-the-top strong, I dilute it with an equal amount of witch hazel. To me, the Brut splash-on is just right in regards to scent.

Could be wrong but I think it is basil, and how it mingles with the lavender and citrus. The Brut aftershave scent is over-the-top strong, I dilute it with an equal amount of witch hazel. To me, the Brut splash-on is just right in regards to scent.
Thanks that's good to know and yes Brut is so powerful, Although I like the scent the people that over do it good lord give me a headache.

I have used up a fair few bottles of brut and I’ve never had a “salty” note o_O is it a new bottle? bit odd ..not saying it couldn’t happen but that’s odd to me..I have to agree its easy to use a lot and it gives others headaches..brut is pretty potent stuff

I have used up a fair few bottles of brut and I’ve never had a “salty” note o_O is it a new bottle? bit odd ..not saying it couldn’t happen but that’s odd to me..I have to agree its easy to use a lot and it gives others headaches..brut is pretty potent stuff
Yeah new bottle after shave and the cologne as well. In the splash on version I can't detect that note. It's spicy but not sweet kinda like salty.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That stuff from Mexico that comes in plastic from CVS and Walgreens is too strong.
I don't know what salt smells like, not sure what you mean, I consider salt odorless.

You buy this stuff in the glass bottle -- it has a good scent. When my current bottle runs out I'm gonna be sad.

full

That stuff from Mexico that comes in plastic from CVS and Walgreens is too strong.
I don't know what salt smells like, not sure what you mean, I consider salt odorless.

You buy this stuff in the glass bottle -- it has a good scent. When my current bottle runs out I'm gonna be sad.

full
While I do agree that the current plastic bottle formula is too strong, I disagree about the glass bottle on the picture. I had it like 2 years ago, It's the UK version that I got from a local wholesaler that sells foreign name brand products. It is rather weak it's the same scent as the US version, But like a couple of notches weaker it dissipates in minutes. And as for the salty note I think it's more of a seasoning like note.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... It is rather weak it's the same scent as the US version but like 5 notches weaker it dissipates in minutes ...
I don't much like strong and long-lasting aftershave scents, maybe that's a different take than other members here, and why I like that juice.

I hope you find a better Brut, Jesse!

I don't much like strong and long-lasting aftershave scents, maybe that's a different take than other members here, and why I like that juice.

I hope you find a better Brut, Jesse!
Thanks. The US version is good enough for me but a bit too strong and the UK version is too weak lol. But I prefer a bit more of longevity over a weaker scent.

Have you tried the EDT? A few squirts on the back of the neck and your good to go.
I tried an edt I got once at the mall it was a spray glass bottle small though with the medallion in the middle. It wasn't the European version but US this was like 3 years ago or so. It was as weak as the UK version. Maybe I got a fake? Who knows but the stuff I get at Wal-Mart even the splash in is a lot stronger.

Another thing I noticed is the current US after shave smells mostly of anise and that salty note but the splash on smells more of citrus, sandalwood and powder.

I also got the anti-perspirant from Wal-Mart it smells soapy and clean with a barbershop talcum vibe to it.
The Brut deodorant and anti-perspiration products smell great. I wish they could get all the fragrance products to smell clean and subtle. To my nose, only the eau de cologne is that way.

Last edited:
Another thing I noticed is the current US after shave smells mostly of anise and that salty note but the splash on smells more of citrus, sandalwood and powder.
That aftershave is almost too much for me. The splash-on is milder, and more appealing fragrance-wise. FWIW, try finding the Fabrege eau de cologne splash bottle from years ago. It is wonderful. eBay likely has some. Comes in a heavy glass longneck bottle and the medallion and chain around the neck. If you want to get away from the mossy, salty "stench", the EDC does it. I have had Brut since 1974, I can't live without it. Just wish the aftershave, and to a lesser extent, the splash-on didn't have the mossy salty note.

That aftershave is almost too much for me. The splash-on is milder, and more appealing fragrance-wise. FWIW, try finding the Fabrege eau de cologne splash bottle from years ago. It is wonderful. eBay likely has some. Comes in a heavy glass longneck bottle and the medallion and chain around the neck. If you want to get away from the mossy, salty "stench", the EDC does it. I have had Brut since 1974, I can't live without it. Just wish the aftershave, and to a lesser extent, the splash-on didn't have the mossy salty note.
Yeah I'll be on the look out for that EDC. And I wish that Brut can be a bit sweeter a'la Skin Bracer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, the Splash on Brut will bring me right back to jumping on my Dad's bed and smelling his pillow! Probably my favorite scent. LOL, I have been edjumicated by my lovely bride that a little Brut can go a long way!

But the woman is different. Her favorite shaving soap of mine is Arko!

Since it readily reproduces in captivity I figure I'm set for life!

Yeah, the Splash on Brut will bring me right back to jumping on my Dad's bed and smelling his pillow! Probably my favorite scent. LOL, I have been edjumicated by my lovely bride that a little Brut can go a long way!

But the woman is different. Her favorite shaving soap of mine is Arko!

Since it readily reproduces in captivity I figure I'm set for life!
Swell.

Top Bottom