Safety Razor of the Month: July 2017

Graydog

Biblical Innards
NEWS is NEWS
_SWR1817.JPG
SWR_1629.JPG
SWR_1672.JPG
SWR_1778.JPG

Nothing outstanding, just my 3 most used LC NEWs. The black one is spray painted and still holds up pretty well after 4years. I use the other two quite often as travel razors (not on flight travels of course).

89510438.jpg

That red and black case looks sharp! Is it that good all around?
No, unfortunately it is slightly blemished on the 2 upper front corners and sports some other traces of good use. That's fine for me, because like this I feel good using it for travelling and will not be tempted to stuff it away in a glass cabinet! ;)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Did a quick fix for an extremely tired Windsor case from 1930. Still needs work but at least it's not disintegrating while I'm holding it. Amazing what a 29¢ piece of felt can do.

It came with an incorrect Goodwill razor, but happy shaves with that tomorrow!

Did a quick fix for an extremely tired Windsor case from 1930. Still needs work but at least it's not disintegrating while I'm holding it. Amazing what a 29¢ piece of felt can do.

Nice restoration! Might have to try that someday.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

Looks much better. Is the vinyl on the outside cracking? I have the same set and was wondering what, if anything, can be done for the vinyl.

Beautiful transformation

Adam, this turned out to be a providential call for me. I
20170731_060954.jpg
've been on the sidelines watching, went camping with the family, and my mom brought me the following. A friend of hers knows I like razors and found it laying around. He didn't know if it was complete or not. Cleaned it up. It shaved great!

Adam, this turned out to be a providential call for me. IView attachment 808640 've been on the sidelines watching, went camping with the family, and my mom brought me the following. A friend of hers knows I like razors and found it laying around. He didn't know if it was complete or not. Cleaned it up. It shaved great!
Btw, I knew I needed coached up on my razor knowledge and shaving skill, but you guys floor me with your skill staging and taking photos as well. Thank you for the sharing and the enjoyment I get so regularly.

image.jpeg
SROTM July 31st
Last shave for July.
New LC
Dorco Prime
Williams Mug Soap
Semogue SOC Boar
Thayers WH
Family Dollar Spice AS
My thoughts on Gillette New. Not my favorite razor, but not my least favorite either. I think this is more my fault. I just couldn't find the right blade, or angle with this razor. I will put it up for a while and revisit it later.
I have enjoyed all the great pictures and comradery. It was a lot of fun.

Jul 31: Repaired RFB on Italian Menthol Monday

Lather: Proraso Green
Brush: Semogue 620 (21/50mm)
Razor: Gillette NEW RFB "2-piece" (Importee d'Angleterre)
Blade: Wizamet SI Extra Stainless [48]
Splash: The Holy Black Menthol-X (Batch T)

The NEW RFB is still my favorite of the NEWs or Goodwills if I don't count the De Luxe, which is a completely different razor than all the rest.

Today's shave was with the two-piece NEW RFB that I bought a year ago for about $8 on eBay. The razor had horribly bent teeth, both downwards and inwards, and actually went unsold the first time, and I was the only bidder when the Seller relisted.
proxy.php

After a few cycles of annealing, cooling and bending, I got to a point I was happy with. A light shine with some Nevr-Dull and here it is.

The teeth are not perfect because I didn't want to risk breakage, but they're more than straight enough. The important thing is I got the up/down bends fixed and the baseplate flat.
proxy.php

Top Bottom