What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Nothing fancy ... But all welcome..Astra.
proxy.php

Some recent acquisitions.

Vintage Merkur Slant
1919 Gillette Old Type (J series serial #)
1957 (C4) Gillette Blue Tip

I really like the chromed case (marked on the bottom, "Made in Western Germany") but I cannot seem to remove the white on the handle of the Merkur. I've read about this, and not sure how I want to proceed. The seller stated he was listing it for a friend whose brother had owned it and was 86 years old.

I have been wanting a WWI military era Old Type. I know it's after the war had ended, but still a J series.

The Blue Tip will simply complement my B4 Red Tip and regular Flare Tips.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Vintage Merkur Slant

I really like the chromed case (marked on the bottom, "Made in Western Germany") but I cannot seem to remove the white on the handle of the Merkur. I've read about this, and not sure how I want to proceed. The seller stated he was listing it for a friend whose brother had owned it and was 86 years old.

I have been wanting a WWI military era Old Type. I know it's after the war had ended, but still a J series.

proxy.php

Nice scores. Agree that the case is really nice, I am looking for something similar. Well done!

Vintage Merkur Slant

proxy.php

Nice score on all three. I have a Coles which is identical to your Merkur, the case is also identical. They are very nice to shave with.

Mail Call:- A Gillette Slim Twist 1960's made in England the razor looks brand new which hasn't been used, it's a real keeper in my den, I'll give her a shave later.

proxy.php
proxy.php

yesterday i got a tech, from my dad birthcode (and quarter). seller said in the description it had some wear, still trying to find it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190108_200248.jpg
    IMG_20190108_200248.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190108_200422.jpg
    IMG_20190108_200422.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Antique shop find over the weekend. Paid $10 for what appears to be a pretty nice 1940 Gold Tech. My first find in the wild.

IMG_1923.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpeg
IMG_1922.jpeg

Last edited:
With advice from the B&B forum... a little Dawn warm bath and a swish of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Will give it a ride this weekend. Bonus... my wife was so happy I went antique shopping with her!

I have nothing but good things to say about my favourite new Frankenrazor - Russian titanium handle, Yintal top plate, Fatip base plate. Shaves like a dream - smooth and efficient.

Fatip Titanium1.jpg
Fatip Titanium1a.jpg
Fatip Titanium3.jpg

Bonus... my wife was so happy I went antique shopping with her!
Congrats on a terrific first find in the wild! On top of it being just good quality time spent together, you have just unlocked the secret to her being accepting of your new hobby. My wife and I go antiquing together whenever we can, and we help each other look for stuff. Neither one of us complains about how much the other has acquired.

Congrats on a terrific first find in the wild! On top of it being just good quality time spent together, you have just unlocked the secret to her being accepting of your new hobby. My wife and I go antiquing together whenever we can, and we help each other look for stuff. Neither one of us complains about how much the other has acquired.
Funny thing, my razor find was our only purchase of the day! Ha. There are those days I am carrying her stuff out to the car by the arm full, but I love her for it. The little joys in life. Thanks for the kind note tipster!

Antique shop find over the weekend. Paid $10 for what appears to be a pretty nice 1940 Gold Tech. My first find in the wild.

View attachment 942263 View attachment 942261 View attachment 942262

Nice find. That's in better shape than the one I got recently for $12

I have to practically drag my wife to an antique store. But she usually enjoys looking around once there. My kids like going though (ages 10, 7 and 6) We went to 4 antique stores today and a 5th store that has weaving looms. They did pretty good the whole time.
This is what we brought home.

20190110_174735.jpg
20190110_174711.jpg

Nice find. That's in better shape than the one I got recently for $12

I have to practically drag my wife to an antique store. But she usually enjoys looking around once there. My kids like going though (ages 10, 7 and 6) We went to 4 antique stores today and a 5th store that has weaving looms. They did pretty good the whole time.
This is what we brought home.

View attachment 942440 View attachment 942441
I am not too familiar with the GEM family, but will have to do a bit of research. Sounds like good, wholesome family fun to me!

I am not too familiar with the GEM family, but will have to do a bit of research. Sounds like good, wholesome family fun to me!

Here is a good place to start if you want more info on Gems.
Gem Razor Models

I've got 2 gems and a star SE razor. Gem, Eveready and Star made very similar razors
And if I understand correctly all merged at some point.
Most of the models are farley to readily available and most are not very expensive. I've only got one shave in with my MMOC and plan on another later today. But I'm pretty confident I will be hooked on these razors.

It was very funny, at first my wife said I wasn't allowed to spend any money and we shouldn't even go to the antique shops. All three kids where upset that she said we couldn't go. She gave in quickly when the kids asked. And then when I found that razor for such a low price she let me get it.
In 4 of the 5 shops we went to the shop owners and workers where really welcoming to us and where showing the kids some of there favorite items, and telling them the history of different things. The 5th shop was a little busier and evoryone was polite but didn't really pay much attention to us.
I homeschool the kids so it is sort of a history lesson field trip.

Last edited:
Here is a good place to start if you want more info on Gems.
Gem Razor Models

I've got 2 gems and a star SE razor. Gem, Eveready and Star made very similar razors
And if I understand correctly all merged at some point.
Most of the models are farley to readily available and most are not very expensive. I've only got one shave in with my MMOC and plan on another later today. But I'm pretty confident I will be hooked on these razors.
This is going to be good reading during our snow storm here in St. Louis this weekend. Thanks!

Top Bottom