What's new

Safety bar VS OC for longer stubble

All things being equal, is an OC razor more efficient than a safety bar on longer growth?

For example, would a Razorock Game Changer .68-P (safety bar) be much less effective than the .68 OC with a 3-4 day growth?...or can I get a quality shave with either?

With a well designed razor, it should not make much difference. I'm pretty much a daily shaver, so "longer growth" probably means something different than it does for you. If you mean ~1/8-1/4" long growth, then yes, an OC is probably better suited, less than that, you'll just be rinsing a bit more I would say.

The last time I cleared a (full) beard or goatee to I was using carts, so...

Yeah, my 3-day growth is maybe 1/8-inch, average density and thickness (not overly course or fine).

All things being equal, is an OC razor more efficient than a safety bar on longer growth?

For example, would a Razorock Game Changer .68-P (safety bar) be much less effective than the .68 OC with a 3-4 day growth?...or can I get a quality shave with either?

You could get a quality shave with either, but they will feel slightly different. Is it enough different that you'd prefer one over the other? You can really only answer that by trying them both.

Not much difference if the razors are of similar geometry in my opinion.

That being said, why not shave more often? Seems daily shaves are more pleasant and comfortable with short stubble.
I'm not opposed to that and I shaved every day when my career required it (carts and electric), but now that I am retired I have no need or real desire to do so.

Additionally, being new to DE shaving, I am experiencing some minor irritation due to technique and have been giving my face at least one day between shaves to fully recover.

Understanding that my technique needs work, I am just wondering if an OC razor would be more comfortable - specifically for the times when I happen to wake up and realize I have a 3 or 4-day growth.

You could get a quality shave with either, but they will feel slightly different. Is it enough different that you'd prefer one over the other? You can really only answer that by trying them both.
Which is probably the best way to know for sure. Gives me an excuse to get another piece of hardware. 🙂

I am certain there will be a day in the future where I will be looking at a 5 or 6-day growth.

I spent 2 weeks in the hospital some years back and tried to shave that with an OC.

All I can tell you is never do that, took 6 passes.
Wow. I'm thinking a preshave with an electric clipper might be in order on a 2-week growth. I can't imagine attacking that with any blade.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This is just an observation...I have had several Karve Brass razors in a few gaps. A couple I've had the SB and OC heads. I preferred the feel of the OC to the SB. I think it's just personal preference. Sometimes, depending on the razor, you can just buy a base plate to try it...Karve and RazoRock are good examples of this...buy the razor, then buy the OC base plate for it. Saves a little money. I just did this for my RazoRock Game Changer .84...purchased the OC head for it.

This is just an observation...I have had several Karve Brass razors in a few gaps. A couple I've had the SB and OC heads. I preferred the feel of the OC to the SB. I think it's just personal preference. Sometimes, depending on the razor, you can just buy a base 0late to try it...Karve and RazoRock are good examples of this...buy the razor, then buy the OC base plate for it. Saves a little money. I just did this for my RazoRock Game Changer .84...purchased the OC head for it.
Full disclosure:

I recently bought two Razorock razors, both Game Changers with SB. Couldn't decide between .68 and .84, and the HD and Bulldog handles. Rather than buy one complete razor with an additional plate and handle, it was just 10 bucks more to buy two complete razors, so I got em both.

They are beautiful to look at and I haven't shaved with either yet, as I am trying to stick with my first purchase (Merkur 34c) to work on technique before introducing more variables.

Having said that, I realize it is probably premature to be buying more without giving those a shot, but I'm wondering if an OC is better suited to my circumstances.

Once I get comfortable and familiar with what I have, I will consider getting an OC base plate.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Full disclosure:

I recently bought two Razorock razors, both Game Changers with SB. Couldn't decide between .68 and .84, and the HD and Bulldog handles. Rather than buy one complete razor with an additional plate and handle, it was just 10 bucks more to buy two complete razors, so I got em both.

They are beautiful to look at and I haven't shaved with either yet, as I am trying to stick with my first purchase (Merkur 34c) to work on technique before introducing more variables.

Having said that, I realize it is probably premature to be buying more without giving those a shot, but I'm wondering if an OC is better suited to my circumstances.

Once I get comfortable and familiar with what I have, I will consider getting an OC base plate.
You're a better man than me, lol!

If I had two new razors, I would have shaved as soon as the mail came, at the same time, with one in each hand doggone!

This is just an observation...I have had several Karve Brass razors in a few gaps. A couple I've had the SB and OC heads. I preferred the feel of the OC to the SB. I think it's just personal preference. Sometimes, depending on the razor, you can just buy a base plate to try it...Karve and RazoRock are good examples of this...buy the razor, then buy the OC base plate for it. Saves a little money. I just did this for my RazoRock Game Changer .84...purchased the OC head for it.
I was the opposite. I had a Karve D plate SB in brass and liked using it. I decided to purchase a Karve C plate OC in stainless as that was supposed to be similar in aggressiveness. I did not like the design of the teeth in the open comb. Thus, I purchased a C plate SB stainless base plate for the razor and now use it that way. I usually try to use a slightly sharper blade in the C plate than the D plate to compensate for the difference in effeciency.

Last edited:
Four day stubble is ~ 1/16-inch so the next time you get to that situation try the GC 0.84 razor. It will probably deal with that stubble with ease using a new blade.
If you were a once a week shaver the open comb will be easier with less clogging.
You could put a shim in the Merker 34C and that would give you a blade gap of ~1.5mm; that will also remove that four day stubble with ease.

Four day stubble is ~ 1/16-inch so the next time you get to that situation try the GC 0.84 razor. It will probably deal with that stubble with ease using a new blade.
If you were a once a week shaver the open comb will be easier with less clogging.
You could put a shim in the Merker 34C and that would give you a blade gap of ~1.5mm; that will also remove that four day stubble with ease.
See, this is why I asked, and I know that I need to actually use my razors and get proficient with them. I'm working on it, just takes longer only shaving every 2-3 days.

Thank you. 🙂

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was the opposite. I had a Karve D plate SB in brass and liked using it. I decided to purchase a Karve C plate OC in stainless as that was supposed to be similar in aggressiveness. I did not like the design of the teeth in the open comb. Thus, I purchased a C plate SB stainless base plate for the razor and now use it that way. I usually try to use a slightly sharper blade in the C plate than the D plate to compensate for the difference in effeciency.

It really is a convenient and cost effective way to find out what's best when a manufacturer offers base plates like Karve does. 🙂

Top Bottom