What's new

sad to see

I was at a major chain drugstore the other day, and the traditional shaving products have been cut down even further. The only AS splash they were still carrying, apparently, was Aqua Velva. Just a few years ago you could find at least Skin Bracer, Brut, and even one or more Clubmans. So sad to see.

It is definitely sad to see. I think online shopping is killing retail locations worldwide. I don't know how things will play out but I fear we'll eventually get to a time when most things such as men's grooming supplies will need to be ordered online. Where I live it's getting harder and harder to find items on shelves.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have just checked and there is not a single item in my den that was purchased in a brick and mortar store, everything was bought online or via auction sites. Admittedly every item, excluding the blades and brushes, is vintage.

It is sad. But they’ve got plenty of shelves for carts under lock and key.

Noticed that at a lot of the smaller chains store these days (UK). Like so many, Brut, old spice, erasmic soap etc. Now all gone but loads of carts and disposables.

Chicago has Merz Apothecary on the northside. They are are a “retail catalog store”. Literally. A veritable candy store for wetshavers.
Merz has been around for a long time. Opened small flower.com.
About sixty miles from me. An hour to an hour and a half.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I was at a major chain drugstore the other day, and the traditional shaving products have been cut down even further. The only AS splash they were still carrying, apparently, was Aqua Velva. Just a few years ago you could find at least Skin Bracer, Brut, and even one or more Clubmans. So sad to see.
It is not a drugstore only phenomenon. Splashes in general have been slowly disappearing. Overwhelmingly the offerings are spray only. I have found that about ten pumps of the sprayer into my cupped palm provides enough liquid to use the concoction in question as an aftershave.

It is not a drugstore only phenomenon. Splashes in general have been slowly disappearing. Overwhelmingly the offerings are spray only. I have found that about ten pumps of the sprayer into my cupped palm provides enough liquid to use the concoction in question as an aftershave.
I don't think that I've ever come across a spray aftershave. Can you give an example of a couple brands that usethis method? Thanks!

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I don't think that I've ever come across a spray aftershave. Can you give an example of a couple brands that usethis method? Thanks!
Sorry I was unclear. Many of the great scents of old that are still around have abandoned splash aftershaves and now offer only balms or spray colognes. I do not like balms so if I want a classic scent I resort to pumping spray cologne until there is enough to use as an aftershave.

Our Rite Aid was taken over by Walgreens, and they definitely cleared the shelves of all the good traditional shaving stuff. I checked my local CVS today, however, and I was pleased to see the shaving shelves chocked full of good stuff—Original Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Pinaud Clubman, Skin Bracer, and Gillette Cool Wave. They even had a King C. Gillette razor and King C. Gillette razor blades (sold with the razor) in support of that fine establishment. I was so pleased I had to pick some aftershave (Cool Wave) and razor blades. I’m looking forward to trying those KCG blades—I’ve heard good things about them. They are pricey, though.

The last time I checked the Walmart near me carries Aqua Velva(Ice Blue & Musk), Brut, Skin Bracer, Stetson, Old Spice, Gillette Cool Wave and a few other things. They no longer seem to carry Williams or Van Der Hagen shave soap in the store though.

I have just checked and there is not a single item in my den that was purchased in a brick and mortar store, everything was bought online or via auction sites. Admittedly every item, excluding the blades and brushes, is vintage.
Same here. Literally everything was bought online. If it wasn’t for the internet I wouldn’t even know that any of it existed.

Top Bottom