What's new

A Sad Day For Baltimore

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
434285010_10161436778556083_1639596107127978192_n.jpg

I was shocked this morning to see the news and hear of the loss of lives with the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge. One of the first responders to the scene gave the chilling words over the radio, "umm, be advised, the entire Key Bridge is in the harbor"

It is eye opening how quickly life can change in minutes. At least 6 families have lost loved ones, husbands, fathers, sons and brothers who were on the bridge working last night. The ship did give a mayday call and the bridge was quickly shut down minutes before the impact which minimized the number of vehicles that were on it before the collapse. Two workers were saved shortly after the collapse. We have yet to even see how lives will be different here until the port reopens and eventually a new bridge is built.

I remember them building this in the 1970s and after 5 years of construction completing the expressway loop around Baltimore (the bridge was opened 47 years ago Saturday). I have driven over it and sailed under it many times. It was a major link in our transportation system linking the east and west sides of the city and county, while saving a long circular trip around the city, or a trip through one of the two tunnels. 30,000 people a day traveled over this bridge. In addition to the terrible loss of at least six souls the lives of many others in Baltimore will change for a long time.

Our marine terminal is closed, both major coal export terminals are within the now closed port and rail traffic to supply them has stopped. The largest east coast RO-RO (roll on - roll off) automobile receiving port, is here in Baltimore. Our US Coast Guard Yard is locked within the now closed port. Domino Sugar is inside this zone. Layoffs will occur, there will be temporary shortages and price increases due to the delay in commerce. For those who commute over the bridge daily, the trip around can easily add an hour to hour and a half to the commute.

My prayers are with those who were lost, their families and all the people and businesses who will have their lives changed after this. Also for the rescue personnel and divers who have bravely worked to try and rescue, and now recover those lost.

Last edited:
Lived in Annapolis til I was early 20s, drove that bridge often. When I woke up yesterday my phone was stacked with links and videos from family still up there. I honestly sat on the edge of my bed incredulous for about 5 minutes wondering 1) how this could even happen, and 2) the local impact of not having a full beltway around the city anymore.

I had family on Gibson Island, which was only a handful of miles away, and despite being only 7 miles away as the crow flies, it took almost an hour to get there because there is no bridge over the Magothy River. Without the bridge completing the beltway, countless people face similar as their new daily commute.

It took 5 years to build in the 70s. This is a perfect opportunity to flex some American resilience and get it replaced much faster than that.

After that horrible accident, there was a Canadian news report on the safety of the bridges crossing the St. Lawrence Seaway. One very similar looking bridge called the Laviolette Bridge, built in the 1960’s, had ten meter artificial islands created around the piers about a decade ago to prevent such a catastrophe. The reporter said that four years after the construction of the islands an oil tanker ran into one, and the bridge was safe.

If you zoom in the pictures you can see the islands(picture from Wikipedia):

1711581647698.jpeg

Very good, sensible dialogue there.

I have found the Youtube channel, "What's going on with shipping" helpful and from an informed presenter.
I work with many engineers from Mass Maritime and have a friend currently finishing up at Cal Maritime.

It’s going to be interesting to read what comes from the logbook and subsequent interviews, to understand what the intent was and what failures compounded to create this massive catastrophe

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I work with many engineers from Mass Maritime and have a friend currently finishing up at Cal Maritime.

It’s going to be interesting to read what comes from the logbook and subsequent interviews, to understand what the intent was and what failures compounded to create this massive catastrophe
Larger and better placed "dolphins" certainly would have at least lessened the impact if not prevented it. Requiring tug assistance until past the bridge would have been helpful as well. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but 47 years with no major incident made the current system seem adequate.

Salvage and remove the wreckage and open the harbor should start soon. At least two salvage firms have been engaged, one to remove the ship (now grounded on the pilings) and the bridge wreckage resting on the bow, and another to remove the bridge structure itself. The still remaining approaches need to be evaluated for damage as well.

A future bridge is far down the road but getting the harbor open is critical right now.

Two victims were recovered yesterday and further search was considered too dangerous for divers and will try to be continued as wreckage is removed. The workers on the bridge at the time were said to all be in vehicles at the time of impact.

Larger and better placed "dolphins" certainly would have at least lessened the impact if not prevented it. Requiring tug assistance until past the bridge would have been helpful as well. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but 47 years with no major incident made the current system seem adequate.

Salvage and remove the wreckage and open the harbor should start soon. At least two salvage firms have been engaged, one to remove the ship (now grounded on the pilings) and the bridge wreckage resting on the bow, and another to remove the bridge structure itself. The still remaining approaches need to be evaluated for damage as well.

A future bridge is far down the road but getting the harbor open is critical right now.

Two victims were recovered yesterday and further search was considered too dangerous for divers and will try to be continued as wreckage is removed. The workers on the bridge at the time were said to all be in vehicles at the time of impact.
The story gets more and more interesting as the details emerge; now the black box has been harvested.

I recently came to learn that along with having two harbor pilots aboard, they called for Tug Support as well as dragged anchor to try and buy time. The ship also had engine maintenance while in port...

The vessel was also carrying 56 containers of hazardous materials including corrosives, flammables and lithium ion batteries, Homendy said. She added that some containers were breached, and that a sheen on the water from those materials would be handled by authorities.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
It would seem to be a no-brainer to build massive bollards on both sides of the bridge piers to stop or divert a ship.
I'm sure the replacement will have large ones. This had small ones set far from the bridge and it looks like at the angle the Dali came in one basically swerved around one of them.

Top Bottom