What's new

Rusty blade still in its wrapper

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Just unwrapped my first Nacet only to discover that about 1/8th" of one of the edges was rusty. No apparent water damage on the wrapper or tuck, and no big deal; I just tossed it. But I am curious if this has happened to anyone else.

That notwithstanding, my second Nacet was perfect, and my shave, excellent.

Just unwrapped my first Nacet only to discover that about 1/8th" of one of the edges was rusty. No apparent water damage on the wrapper or tuck, and no big deal; I just tossed it. But I am curious if this has happened to anyone else.
Now I am curious about this; was it part of a sampler or a single tuck or part of a 100 pack? I have not found a rusty stainless steel blade since I have been using DE blades in the last ~ 8 years.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Now I am curious about this; was it part of a sampler or a single tuck or part of a 100 pack? I have not found a rusty stainless steel blade since I have been using DE blades in the last ~ 8 years.
100 pack.

The stainless used in the blades is a cheaper ferritic steel -- something like 430 Stainless. It's just iron and a chromium alloy (usually about 15% or so chrome). That type of steel isn't nearly as rust resistant as the austenitic steels (like the 300 series) which is what most SS razor handles and heads are made of. 303/304 adds in about 8% nickel which greatly increases rust resistance. 316/317 adds in 2-3% molybdenum which greatly increases resistance to chlorides (salt).

Moral of the story is the blades will rust, not as easily or as quickly as the old carbon steel blades, but it's still something that can happen, especially if left wet. This is why I store all my blades inside sealed bags with some of these inserted:

proxy.php

These change colors to let you know when they're saturated. Just insert new ones or put these in the microwave to dehydrate them.

Top Bottom