What's new

Question to those who use Gillette 7o'clock Permasharp Stainless blades.

Back when I started in 2016 and searching for the "blade" I had bought a used razor and the seller sent a couple of these blades and out of all the ones I tried this one was about the best(the one on the left). I also like Wilkinson Sword Classic from Germany and Feathers but prefer either of the other two. I bought 100 of these direct from India and with a packaging date of 7/15 back in 2016. I was down to around 25 or so and earlier this year I found a US seller and a good deal for the same blade, or so I thought(blade on the right). These were packed 1/21, different outside blade wrapper, they are a single wrapper with no inner white wrapper like the old ones. I am on my 7th blade and blade #6 I got through one pass and had to change it for another as it pulled so bad. I believe this is the second I had to toss out of the first 6 blades after a pass. I don't ever recall having to toss any of the older version. I also seem to only get 4 shaves on average instead of at least 6, this doesn't bother me so much since I bought a lot of 200. My friend also uses this blade and I even traded a pack for one of his older version and he said he took one with him on a road trip and said it was the worst shave he had in a while and regretted bringing it along.

So my question is for those that have used these before and have bought the newer style with the different blade packaging I am wondering if you have noticed a difference also? I am just curious of others that have used these blades have noticed this. Yes, I understand YMMV when it comes to blades but just think it is odd that it is from the same plant in India. But, I guess production change over the course of 5 years so maybe the machines are wore out now after making millions of blades. It seems like the one good are as good as the old ones but again they seem a little different or not quite as sharp. Maybe my beard is getting more like fencing wire as I get up in age.

1691386713081.png

They are both made the Badi plant. It's the same factory. I have the older ones as well as the new ones. I unfortunately do not take a blade to conclusion in multiple razors.

About 2 years ago the packaging was changed to the newer one and there was a price bump too.

I'll try to see if I can do a compare in my Rockwell 6S, where this blade gives the smoothest shaves

Back when I started in 2016 and searching for the "blade" I had bought a used razor and the seller sent a couple of these blades and out of all the ones I tried this one was about the best(the one on the left). I also like Wilkinson Sword Classic from Germany and Feathers but prefer either of the other two. I bought 100 of these direct from India and with a packaging date of 7/15 back in 2016. I was down to around 25 or so and earlier this year I found a US seller and a good deal for the same blade, or so I thought(blade on the right). These were packed 1/21, different outside blade wrapper, they are a single wrapper with no inner white wrapper like the old ones. I am on my 7th blade and blade #6 I got through one pass and had to change it for another as it pulled so bad. I believe this is the second I had to toss out of the first 6 blades after a pass. I don't ever recall having to toss any of the older version. I also seem to only get 4 shaves on average instead of at least 6, this doesn't bother me so much since I bought a lot of 200. My friend also uses this blade and I even traded a pack for one of his older version and he said he took one with him on a road trip and said it was the worst shave he had in a while and regretted bringing it along.

So my question is for those that have used these before and have bought the newer style with the different blade packaging I am wondering if you have noticed a difference also? I am just curious of others that have used these blades have noticed this. Yes, I understand YMMV when it comes to blades but just think it is odd that it is from the same plant in India. But, I guess production change over the course of 5 years so maybe the machines are wore out now after making millions of blades. It seems like the one good are as good as the old ones but again they seem a little different or not quite as sharp. Maybe my beard is getting more like fencing wire as I get up in age.

View attachment 1698336
Have been using the model for at least 15 years. Old double wrapped 5 packs (even had ones made in the older Rajasthan plant) and the newer 10-packs with only a single wrapper. The ones I am using recently are made in December 2020 (one month older than your new pack). And they shave the same as the older blades. 2 months ago received 100 pcs made in November 2022 , but haven't tried them.

They are both made the Badi plant. It's the same factory. I have the older ones as well as the new ones. I unfortunately do not take a blade to conclusion in multiple razors.

About 2 years ago the packaging was changed to the newer one and there was a price bump too.

I'll try to see if I can do a compare in my Rockwell 6S, where this blade gives the smoothest shaves

Just for reference, this was in the same razor, my favorite Slim adjustable. Also, should note I am not a daily shaver and the norm is two to 3 days between shaves. I do notice a difference in the way a blade acts on my face between day two and day three but that is with any blade.

Today I did move the blade to my Merkur 34c since that razor hadn't been used in over 2 years and of course I replied to a post about it yesterday and got it in my head I should give it a try again. The blade did good in it but that razor, like the majority of my other fixed razors are a little mild. I like my adjustable to much to not use and like setting 7 on it, just on the aggressive side.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Have been using the model for at least 15 years. Old double wrapped 5 packs (even had ones made in the older Rajasthan plant) and the newer 10-packs with only a single wrapper. The ones I am using recently are made in December 2020 (one month older than your new pack). And they shave the same as the older blades. 2 months ago received 100 pcs made in November 2022 , but haven't tried them.

You mention the single wrapper, are the 12/20 made ones a single wrapper and look like the ones on the right? Just curious as to when they changed packaging. I did notice in my little sandwich storage container I use for blades I did notice I have one of those 5 packs that was made in 2016. The 10 blade Saloon packs was from my order in 2016. I only ordered 100 for myself back then thinking 100 blades would last a lifetime. They don't when I gave a few packs away to get other people started in DE shaving. I had ordered a 200 pack back then for my friend and now I am thinking I should have grabbed more back then.

For the most part they seem to be as good as the old ones it's that I never had duds with these blades with the older made ones. Maybe it is just in my head they don't seem the same. I know the first blade out of the pack my thought was I made a huge mistake. IIR I did make it through the first complete shave but changed it out on the next shave.

Thanks for the response.

You mention the single wrapper, are the 12/20 made ones a single wrapper and look like the ones on the right? Just curious as to when they changed packaging. I did notice in my little sandwich storage container I use for blades I did notice I have one of those 5 packs that was made in 2016. The 10 blade Saloon packs was from my order in 2016. I only ordered 100 for myself back then thinking 100 blades would last a lifetime. They don't when I gave a few packs away to get other people started in DE shaving. I had ordered a 200 pack back then for my friend and now I am thinking I should have grabbed more back then.

For the most part they seem to be as good as the old ones it's that I never had duds with these blades with the older made ones. Maybe it is just in my head they don't seem the same. I know the first blade out of the pack my thought was I made a huge mistake. IIR I did make it through the first complete shave but changed it out on the next shave.

Thanks for the response.
All the Permasharp blades in the last 6-7 years look like your new pack. 10 pcs and single wrapped. The double wrapped Permasharps are long gone. No more 5 pcs packs. Did you happen to change something in your shaving routine? Like a cream, a brush, something in your preparation, or the shaving intervals?
For the record, I have been using Gillette DE blades for more than 30 years. More than 60 models from plants all over the world. Never had a dud! It's a myth.

All the Permasharp blades in the last 6-7 years look like your new pack. 10 pcs and single wrapped. The double wrapped Permasharps are long gone. No more 5 pcs packs. Did you happen to change something in your shaving routine? Like a cream, a brush, something in your preparation, or the shaving intervals?
For the record, I have been using Gillette DE blades for more than 30 years. More than 60 models from plants all over the world. Never had a dud! It's a myth.

I do change out shave cream/soap but did with the old blades as well and still got smooth shaves. Preparation is the same, shower and shave after. Shave intervals is 2 or 3 days, usually if I go a 4th day without shaving I use my Schick J1 Injector to carve the longer tougher growth off. Exception was today though, been 4 days, decided to see what the 34c could do, not really liked that razor since I got my Slim but seemed to do pretty good today with that new blade. I am realizing that maybe my whiskers are getting tougher and do get a smoother shave on a 2 day growth versus 3.

If it is a myth then lets say dull then!

The pack of 5 I have is dated 5/16 and the pack that I traded my friend is 6/16 so sometime after that they changed. Basically boils down to finding more dull ones I am going to switch to Wilkinson Sword. I can find those at the local drugstore for a buck thirty for a 5 pack which isn't that bad of a deal considering.

I have two lots of these blades. The manufacture date on one is November 2022, and the other is March 2023, both with the single wrapper, and apparently made in a different factory from Badi.

d8sf9e.jpg

I have two lots of these blades. The manufacture date on one is November 2022, and the other is March 2023, both with the single wrapper, and apparently made in a different factory from Badi.

View attachment 1698782

They must have moved tooling or the plant changed locations maybe. Does the front side of the box look like the blade wrapper of the left one in my post(without the words Saloon Pack)? Just curious if they changed the printing on the front side since '15. My '21 blades have the same packaging as the ones from '15 but just missing the words "SALOON PACK" on both the ones from '16 and '21. It would be my guess they removed saloon pack if they no longer offer them in a 5 pack.

View attachment 1698782
After a quick search, just as I supposed that address seems to be P&G's New Delhi office building, not a factory.

They must have moved tooling or the plant changed locations maybe. Does the front side of the box look like the blade wrapper of the left one in my post(without the words Saloon Pack)? Just curious if they changed the printing on the front side since '15. My '21 blades have the same packaging as the ones from '15 but just missing the words "SALOON PACK" on both the ones from '16 and '21. It would be my guess they removed saloon pack if they no longer offer them in a 5 pack.
10-packs are generally considered saloon packs for barbers.

Does the front side of the box look like the blade wrapper of the left one in my post(without the words Saloon Pack)?
The 2022 & 2023 tucks & blades are identical, apart from some numbers on one end of the tucks, a number and letter on the blades (T & S, 1 & 4), and the sharpness of the printing on the blades.

(2023 on top and left, 2022 on bottom and right)

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

After a quick search, just as I supposed that address seems to be P&G's New Delhi office building, not a factory.
Thanks.

10-packs are generally considered saloon packs for barbers.

Thanks. That is what I had kind of figured. I just thought maybe since they no longer made the 5 pack I thought that maybe was the reason they remove saloon pack from the box besides saving money on printer ink. Also, I noticed the price change from 30 Rupees to 24 Rupees($.29USD) so apparently between removing the inner wrapper and the ink they save enough to know the price down a few cents or rupees.

The 2022 & 2023 tucks & blades are identical, apart from some numbers on one end of the tucks, a number and letter on the blades (T & S, 1 & 4), and the sharpness of the printing on the blades.

(2023 on top and left, 2022 on bottom and right)

View attachment 1699285View attachment 1699286View attachment 1699287

Thanks.

Thanks. The boxes still look the same so they have changed, just the address on the back. I am not sure what the letters and numbers are for. Maybe they have different sharpening and inking stations and that is to identify which machine sharpened and/or printed them but who knows. I may have read what it is but can't remember. I think i have saw it on my Wilkinson Sword Classics from Germany also among other blades.

Where are we all getting Indian permasharp stainless greens? I can only ever find the russian super stainless greens.

Thanks. The boxes still look the same so they have changed, just the address on the back. I am not sure what the letters and numbers are for. Maybe they have different sharpening and inking stations and that is to identify which machine sharpened and/or printed them but who knows. I may have read what it is but can't remember. I think i have saw it on my Wilkinson Sword Classics from Germany also among other blades.
It's not that.

The numbers on the end of the tucks:
3080 - 2023 80th day
2336 - 2022 336th day

The letters on the blades:

T-1 - 2023 1st quarter

S-4 - 2022 4th quarter

Where are we all getting Indian permasharp stainless greens? I can only ever find the russian super stainless greens.

eBay. When I bought them in 2016 I bought them straight from a dealer in India for something like $13 per 100. I then bought my friend 200 for I think $22 or $24, the more you bought the more you saved. I had thought about ordering like 5000 and selling them but after doing the math between shipping cost and blade cost I figured the most I could make per 100 without going overboard on price was maybe a $1.

This last 200 was a US seller and he had a make an offer and low balled him and the counter offer I accepted and after taxes paid just short of $18.

When searching make sure and type 7 o'clock Permasharp and verify with the seller that the actual blades are Permasharp and not the green Super Stainless blades. A lot of them post pictures and don't know the difference between the two blades.

Top Bottom