What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

The time has come for me to step back from many of my extracurricular endeavours to free up time for some new adventures and pursuits. New beginnings are always a cause for celebration and each journey begins with a single step. I will be signing off B&B for the next year. I trust my comrades ( @bjm and @MaineYooper) in the Shave of the Week Society will continue to carry the torch in my absence. Keep a candle burning in the window, my friends, I will return. I will check in around Christmas to being greetings of the season and again on this date next year (August 5th, 2022) if the good Lord is willing.

As Confucius says so eloquently, "They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom". All is well. Keep shaving!
Glad all is well, but you will be missed! Take care, brother, and I look forward to your posts as you can!

Reactions: bjm
I have to say...Palmolive is an amazing shave cream. I have been using up the last bit of an old tube I had in my remnants shoebox. I can see why it has remained in production for a very long time. The more I use it, the more I really like it. Indeed, I am now wondering why I have a tote box full of expensive (relative to Palmolive) shave soaps. It lathers like a charm, the scent is mild and not unpleasant...actually it is growing on me. Cheap as dirt -- 6 tubes for $30 bucks on Amazon. Hard to beat those numbers. And performance is as good as my most expensive soaps. :pipe: Interesting.

It has been a while, but I am once again determined to get my kit down to a choice few soaps. I got a little carried away in the past couple of months....darn "click purchase" button. Yes...I sound like a broken record...
My current soaps are:
1. Stirling Barbershop *
2. Stirling Gentleman *
3. Stirling Unscented *
4. Proraso white
5. B&M Soft Heart Series Unscented
6. Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
7. Mike's Barbershop
8. GFT Natural
9. Zingari Man Unscented
10. NIL
11. Fendrihan unscented
12. MdC Unscented

The first 3 on the list are on their last legs...large donuts have formed. I am thinking that by the end of November these will be as good as gone. Some of the others on the list are almost new and will take some time to use them up. My goal is by the end of 2022 to be down to my remaining three. I would like to do a year of just Haslinger soaps, or just Palmolive...or maybe a year with my MdC. Don't mind me, I am just dreaming...:pipe:

1. Stirling Unscented *
2. Proraso white
3. B&M Soft Heart Series Unscented
4. Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
5. Mike's Barbershop
6. GFT Natural
7. Zingari Man Unscented
8. NIL
9. Fendrihan unscented
10. MdC Unscented

I have managed to finish up a couple (Stirling Executive and Barbershop). Both very fine soaps. I am now working my way through NIL by Bartigan and Stark and I am very impressed with this unscented soap and matching ASB. I may be on this one for a while.
NIL.jpg

As I work through my remaining stash, I realize I have evolved in my preferences. Starting with ASBs...I have three favourites: NIL (Bartigan and Stark), B&M Unscented, and Pre de Provence. I can see these remaining in my kit. As for soaps...again my tastes are evolving...NIL (Bartigan and Stark), Mike's Natural Soap (Barbershop) are topping the list lately. Both excellent soaps. And of course I have to add in Palmolive Shaving Cream. A classic and a standard. An excellent shave at bargain basement price. Hard to beat. My two favourite razors remain unchallenged: Schick Type G and EJ 3one6. As for DE blades...the Gillette Silver Blue and Tiger blades are excellent, but I also like Gillette Sharp Edge. And of course I have a bunch of SRs that are favourites...don't ask me to choose among them. As for brushes EJ Synthetic, RazoRock Plissoft, Simpsons Special, Semogue Boar. Funny how tastes change over time. :pipe:

I have an enduring affection for those engineering marvels called straight razors. I got ambitious this week and restored and honed 5 new antique store finds. I will use these in the coming days as part of my Shave of the Week kits. Just fyi...the crack on the scales of the McPherson Brothers razor is stable no movement. :pipe:
two straight razors.jpg

3 straight razors.jpg

I see I haven't posted a journal entry since January and here it is Easter weekend. Shame on me. A lot has happened since January. The world seems to be going through a bit of a rough spell in the past few months. The war in Ukraine is particularly upsetting. How quickly we forget the lessons from the past. Our fragile world has forgotten that we are all interdependent. There is no need for senseless destruction. Surely there is a better path, one where we can peacefully coexist. Much like COVID I think it is our powerlessness to change anything that is so disheartening. Yet, as I watch the sun rise and listen to the birds singing in the morning and as I reflect on the Easter message I realize there is hope for a better tomorrow.

My morning shave remains my brief moment of solace amid the turmoil of outside events. Such a simple ritual -- a fine soap lathered to perfection applied with care. A quality razor and favourite blade. Each stroke clearing away a day of stubble and worry. And topped off with a soothing aftershave. A dab of moustache wax and a couple of curls in the handlebars and I am ready to face the day. It is such a great way to center myself. Who would have thought a simple morning shave could bring a sense of calm.

Last edited:
Its been a while since I updated my stash. I have managed to whittle things down a bit by PIFs and dedicated use.

1. Stirling Unscented *
2. Proraso white
3. Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
4. Mike's Barbershop
5. Zingari Man Unscented
6. NIL
7. MdC Unscented

Stirling Unscented is on its last dying breaths, so I will soon be down to six soaps...end of July tops. And truthfully, I don't really count the MdC soap as being part of my stash. I keep it as a "Hurry up and pack, we have to head to the cottage, the end of the world is coming!" soap. Its not a favourite of mine, but it is good for at least two years of shaves. It should get me through the rebuilding process. :pipe:

This summer has been warmer than usual. I've been adding Proraso green preshave cream to my daily shave. Nice menthol cooling effect. I should be finishing off with with an aftershave splash, but I still enjoy an ASB.

Change of plans. I am growing weary of trying to get my stash down to one, two or three soaps. I am going to work more with the flow of life and work my way up to an even 10 soaps. I have been daydreaming about some of my past soaps that I really enjoyed...so I clicked "purchase" on a puck of MWF. And I am going to remove MdC off the list because I only plan to use that soap when we get the evacuate order. Its in my bug-out bag along with other shaving supplies. I figure the MdC will last me at least 2 years until the world can start the rebuilding process. I need to buy three more for an even 10. I will keep you posted. :pipe:
1. Stirling Naked and Smooth
2. Proraso white
3. Stirling Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
4. Mike's Barbershop
5. Zingari Man Unscented
6. NIL
7. MWF (incoming)
8. TBD
9. TBD
10. TBD

Ah, MWF! I was only using it on what I called Fat Tuesdays, and was enjoying it so much that I started to use it daily a few weeks ago. But Mrs MEYooper came in during the shave and found the scent too much for the sinuses. Thankfully, it found a home were it is being loved and enjoyed for its wonderful properties! (And I learned to stay unscented, again!)

Ah, MWF! I was only using it on what I called Fat Tuesdays, and was enjoying it so much that I started to use it daily a few weeks ago. But Mrs MEYooper came in during the shave and found the scent too much for the sinuses. Thankfully, it found a home were it is being loved and enjoyed for its wonderful properties! (And I learned to stay unscented, again!)
MWF is one of the few scented soaps I really like. I still prefer unscented.

Top Bottom