What's new

Rusty Blade’s Wet Shaving Journey

An update on my soaps. I am down to 7 soaps…or more accurately I am up to 7 soaps. :mad2:

Stirling Naked and Smooth
Stirling Spice
Stirling Gentleman
Stirling Barbershop
B&M Seville
B&M Soft Heart Series Unscented
Proraso White

I wanted some variation once in a while so I purchased the Stirling Gentleman and Barbershop soaps in sample size. The small amount is just enough so I can have some once in a while when I want something different. My longer term plan is still to get down to no more than three soaps. (yea right...) I know two of them: Proraso white and Stirling Naked and Smooth. The third will be a toss up among Stirling Spice, Barbershop or Gentleman and B&M Seville. Hard to guess at this point. But if pressed I would probably go with Stirling Gentleman. I really enjoy this scent….but then again Barbershop is nice as well. Why is life so complicated? :pipe:

Dang. Make that 8 soaps. I found a jar of Martin de Candre unscented shave soap that I have had for 6 or more years hiding in a shoebox in the back of the closet. Only used it half a dozen times or thereabouts back when I first purchased it. Totally forgot about it. I must use it this week. I can't remember the consistency of the lather. If I am not mistaken it is not a tallow based soap. I do remember it was expensive at the time when I purchased it.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Martin de Candre Nature has no known animal products. The ingredients list claims: stearic acid, cocos nucifera oil, acqua, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, and sodium chloride by mass.

I‘m told it delights Californians and desiccates Yorkshiremen, but that’s internet rumors from I’ve when following the exploits of an SR/SE disciple and a smart d00d that doesn’t sacrifice his habitat’s hygiene to entitled racing pigeons.

Martin de Candre Nature has no known animal products. The ingredients list claims: stearic acid, cocos nucifera oil, acqua, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, and sodium chloride by mass.

I‘m told it delights Californians and desiccates Yorkshiremen, but that’s internet rumors from I’ve when following the exploits of an SR/SE disciple and a smart d00d that doesn’t sacrifice his habitat’s hygiene to entitled racing pigeons.
The test will be in the quality of the lather. :pipe:

I finished off last week with Martin de Candre unscented. I confess I found the soap unremarkable. It is a vegan soap and compared to the rich tallow based soaps I am accustomed to lately, I found the lather rather thin and lacking in depth. I have placed it carefully back in the closet to perhaps be rediscovered and explored another day.

My soap for the coming week starting tomorrow is Stirling Spice. A rich spicy scented tallow based soap reminiscent of Old Spice scent. I will continue with my streak of synthetic brushes. This past week I slipped in a badger for old times sake and didn't really enjoy the experience. If I told myself a few years ago that I would be a zealous synthetic convert I would have scoffed at the thought. But there it is, I am a synth convert and darn proud of it.
20210605_111713_resized.jpg

My razors for the coming week are the same 10 straight razors in a previous picture I posted with a couple of exceptions. I have a couple of new SRs added to the lineup. I had a full slate of 6 Bokers among the previous 10 and I have replaced two of them with recently honed Geo. Wostenholm razors.

I find myself itching to click "purchase" on some new soaps (so much for the ultimate goal of 3 soaps in my kit). But I find in life, you have to find your pleasures where you can and not fuss too much over the details. I have been window shopping and have my eye on a couple of new soaps, searching for one unscented and another scented. In the not too distant future they will likely find their way into my mailbox and into upcoming Shaves of the Week. :pipe:

In another thread recently the issue of how much pressure is required on the blade when shaving with a SR was discussed. So I have been experimenting. I have been using varying levels of pressure with my shaves lately on different parts of my beard. I am finding generally the less pressure I apply, the better shave I get. A lighter touch seems to let the ultimate sharpness of the edge do all the work. If you think about it, we use tree topping as a sharpness test when honing a blade. And shaving is just a fancy form of tree topping. I think there is a tendency to apply pressure because if a little is good then more must be better? Apparently not so. Or maybe I just have a heavy hand ( perhaps a leftover from DE shaving?). I am resisting the urge and seeing how light I can go with pressure and I have been surprised with the outcome. That was all. Just wanted to share my observations. Carry on. :pipe:

Today I received the first of a few new soaps and creams that I have ordered recently. Today it was TOBS Naturals. I had this cream a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I am generally not a big cream fan, but this one is top shelf material. Can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning. It is amazing how easily I am entertained. I like to keep things simple. :pipe:

I hope they delight you so much you forget your three soaps goal.
My resolve if firm, I will arrive at my goal...eventually. Just a little bit longer than I planned. :mad2: I find in life generally, it is important to be flexible when trying to attain lofty goals. And when I finally reach my goal it will be all the more sweeter when I cross the finish line At least this is what I keep telling myself. :blush:

I am reflecting on my shaves lately and I realize in recent months I am getting some of the best shaves of my life. Not sure why, my process and gear has not changed that much. I am using straight razors -- almost exclusively vintage razors that I restored and honed. I have been shaving with SRs for about 6 years now, but lately I find myself enjoying them even more. My soaps are of the highest quality -- mostly Stirling and B&M. I have recently purchased a tub of TOBS Organic -- a luxurious cream without a doubt. A tiny dab on my palm and a synth brush will work up a ton of lather. I do a two pass shave, though the first pass doesn't leave much for the 2nd pass to clean up. In a way I don't understand why you need a second pass with a straight razor. If the blade is sharp and if you cover the real estate, and if you do it right, there shouldn't be anything left. I watch videos of guys doing a 3 pass SR shave and I wonder what they are doing wrong to require a second and third pass. Maybe they are like me and just do pass 2 and 3 for a bit of fun. My second pass is just a bit of fun. I run my hand over my face after my first pass and it is almost BBS...but I do the second pass anyway.

Using SRs exclusively has one downside -- I miss using my EJ 3one6 DE and Schick Type G. Both fine razors, both enjoyable to use. But lately I am hooked on using SRs so I go with the flow. This too shall pass. It won't be too long before I pick up the DE or SE again.

Speaking of brushes, I made a decision some time ago to only use synthetic brushes (I have 5) and what I find hard to understand is I was a diehard boar brush user for most of my shaving life going back 45 years. I was the first to poo-poo the idea of a synthetic brush. Imagine the foolishness....a synthetic brush. Sheesh...what is the world coming to? I always used a boar brush for my shaves. Now I have them neatly displayed on a shelf along with a handful or badger and horse brushes. I surprised myself by abandoning natural hair brushes, but I have no regrets. There is no comparison. The Edwin Jagger synthetic is my go-to synth brush. :pipe:

For my kit this week I am using a new to me soap, Zingari Man unscented and matching ASB.
20210717_080925_resized.jpg

I am also rotating my razors -- EJ 3one6 with a Tiger blade, Schick Type G and a variety of straight razors. I find if I use one type of razor exclusively then I miss the other two. I really enjoy all three, so the only solution seems to be to rotate through the three razor types.
20210717_081009_resized.jpg

As for my brush, I seem to have fixated on the EJ synth as my daily brush. I have around 20 brushes of all varieties. Every evening I tell myself that tomorrow morning I will pick out a boar or badger or horse brush, but when it comes time to choose I reach for the EJ synth. Go figure. Tomorrow always seems like the perfect day for a boar brush. Like a procrastinator, tomorrow is always the perfect day to do something.

I should present myself with a challenge -- to use every one of my brushes. A different brush every day until I have used each one at least once. It would take me less than a month, and is might sooth my guilt from having purchased so many brushes that I dont actually use.

Last edited:
There are days when I wish I turn back the clock to when I had one razor, one preferred blade, one brush, one soap and one post shave product. As it stands now I have enough stuff to fill a shipping container. (Sigh).

The time has come for me to step back from many of my extracurricular endeavours to free up time for some new adventures and pursuits. New beginnings are always a cause for celebration and each journey begins with a single step. I will be signing off B&B for the next year. I trust my comrades ( @bjm and @MaineYooper) in the Shave of the Week Society will continue to carry the torch in my absence. Keep a candle burning in the window, my friends, I will return. I will check in around Christmas to being greetings of the season and again on this date next year (August 5th, 2022) if the good Lord is willing.

As Confucius says so eloquently, "They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom". All is well. Keep shaving!

The time has come for me to step back from many of my extracurricular endeavours to free up time for some new adventures and pursuits. New beginnings are always a cause for celebration and each journey begins with a single step. I will be signing off B&B for the next year. I trust my comrades ( @bjm and @MaineYooper) in the Shave of the Week Society will continue to carry the torch in my absence. Keep a candle burning in the window, my friends, I will return. I will check in around Christmas to being greetings of the season and again on this date next year (August 5th, 2022) if the good Lord is willing.

As Confucius says so eloquently, "They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom". All is well. Keep shaving!
Your presence and valued contributions will be sorely missed. I look forward to your return. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
Top Bottom