What's new

Russia made blades questions

I'm taking part in this challenge PIF and I've been very pleasantly surprised with the Silver Star from Egypt. I also second @NorthernSoul on the LOI blades from Bangladesh. Each is half the price of Sputnik ($10 per 100 via one common seller) and both are smooth.

I also suggest blades from Lord - specifically these

Platinum
Asco
Big Ben
Silver Star

Lots of choices out there.

What I did when Gillette fell by the wayside (for me) was hit that large online site named after a huge river and search for safety razor variety pack and tried some out.

Take good notes so you can indentify what works best for you.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
You can buy Chinese made Gillettes. Supposedly made to the same specs and on identical equipment as the Russian counterpart. Look into London Bridge.

I'll join the chorus of recommendations for German Wilkinson Sword blades. Feather and Kai from Japan are both top notch as well. An alternative to Astras are Tiger blades, made in the Czech Republic, in the factory that originally made Astras.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
First and foremost my thoughts are with the people of the Ukraine. For everyone’s sake I pray that this conflict doesn’t escalate any further. The potential effects on the DE blade market are so far down my list of concerns that it’s not even funny. To even consider such trivialities when people are dying and loosing their homes is unbelievably disrespectful. I’m shocked to see conversations like this on B&B. The lack of compassion being shown here is disgraceful.
With respect I think you are being a little unfair, the thread started a month ago.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep (USA). These are great blades, and the Labs are priced very reasonably for the quality. For me the Med Preps are slightly more consistent, but the last time I checked you pay double the price for the extra quality control. Many shavers can't feel any difference.

Maybe with the sanctions imposed on Russia, they will no longer be disponible :sad:

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

My two personal non russian favorites:

1. Personna Platinum (Germany or Isreal)
2. Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India)

Some good options made in other countries (some have already been mentioned):
  • Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black package) - India
  • Personna Med Prep - USA
  • Personna Platinum - Germany/Israel
  • Feather - Japan

I'll join the chorus of recommendations for German Wilkinson Sword blades. Feather and Kai from Japan are both top notch as well. An alternative to Astras are Tiger blades, made in the Czech Republic, in the factory that originally made Astras.
The sharper Tiger Stainless (red packaging) is a very good blade and are a bargain at around £6 per 100 blades.

A real embargo means it would be illegal to sell them....so whatever backchannels there are would vanish.
So if you really like Russian blades and don't have a fair amount.....be ready to say goodbye..... and use Egyptian, SKorea or Indian. Ohh and German...... , or Japanese at the cost of an arm and a leg......

I have lost my supply of Israeli goodies and also Brazilian ....., so I know what happens. You can always find some....for $$$
I ordered 100 GSBs last night!

Now that things have gone ugly I will be using Personna Lab Blue when my current supply of GSB is exhausted. I have found them to be equal to GSB. My Blackland dart might be retired when I run out of my Vokshod blades.

Reactions: Pub

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Honestly no. I've never thought any of the Gillette Russian blades were any better than Personna, Feather et al that make nice blades.

The last Russian blades I used came with a Gillette Heritage razor and a King C Gillette. Neither were standout's in any way for me. If I couldn't get made in USA Personna's, I'd be sad.

I also like the Muhle blades a lot which are said to be Personnas and the German made Wilkies. Between, the U.S, Germany and Japan, I can't think of any blades I want or would miss.

I'll be selfish. I'm more worried about energy costs than a piece of steel to cut whiskers.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
And the most revered stuff is the stuff that isn’t made any longer (usually because nobody thought it was anything special when it was made). And the best stuff is the old stuff, mass-produced with old technology but which somehow has Stradivarius-esque magic.
That is the truth. We often mourn for mythical (that's Mike Tyson's version of mystical) properties we impart to items that never ever had such properties when they were in production. It's a human version of "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone".

There are countries I refuse to buy from when humanely oops I mean humanly possible. Yup, it's a tear in the ocean, but it's my way of standing for what I believe in. I know I'm right. I don't care what others do or don't do as far as purchases.
I’m motivated to exclude products that will induce negative thoughts into my shaving routine. Russian made razor blades have now earned this dubious honor. I read too much news as it is. I want my shaving time to be free from these distractions. I am also trying to retire a good shaving brush from the Sci Fi dude who appears to enjoy yachting in the desert (full disclosure I like Sci Fi). I don’t want to think of the Sci Fi dude when I’m shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom