What's new

Russia made blades questions

I’ve got close to 1300 Russian blades. Mostly PPI ones. The political situation worries me so I’m gonna get 200 more Gillette greens just to play it safe. I definitely don’t want to have to buy more blades when they’re unavailable.

Is anyone concerned that the current situation in Russia/Ukraine could lead to Russian DE blades becoming unavailable in the US and elsewhere?
As most of my favorite blades come from St. Petersburg, I've just purchased a few hundred. Just curious what you all think.
It's possible should there be economic sanctions that include a trade embargo of consumer products like this. That said there tends to be so much DE blade inventory floating around that it could be a while before there is any real impact that we would see.

Reactions: Pub
The sanctions have to this point been directed at the oligarchs in Russia. I don't know who owns PPI. If I understand it correctly, P&G doesn't own it and only licenses the use of their brands. So I guess depending on who actually owns PPI, they could come under sanctions but since they haven't so far, maybe they wouldn't?

I might be wrong but it seems that most Russian blades aren’t distributed here in the US with the exception of King C Gillette blades. Most likely Russian blades will still be available through the normal oversea channels.

Reactions: Pub
The sanctions have to this point been directed at the oligarchs in Russia. I don't know who owns PPI. If I understand it correctly, P&G doesn't own it and only licenses the use of their brands. So I guess depending on who actually owns PPI, they could come under sanctions but since they haven't so far, maybe they wouldn't?

Gillette initially owned 65% in 1990, increased to 78% as of 2000.

A real embargo means it would be illegal to sell them....so whatever backchannels there are would vanish.
So if you really like Russian blades and don't have a fair amount.....be ready to say goodbye..... and use Egyptian, SKorea or Indian. Ohh and German...... , or Japanese at the cost of an arm and a leg......

I have lost my supply of Israeli goodies and also Brazilian ....., so I know what happens. You can always find some....for $$$

I have only used Sputnik blades during the latest years. When I run out of Sputnik blades I want to find a brand that is not made in Russia. What blades would you recommend? I wish to find something with the same sharpness and the same smoothness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of brands to try out (Just off the top of my head):

- BIC
- Tiger
- Super Max
- Personna
- Gillette Indian blades
- Gillette Chinese blades
- Wilkinson Sword
- Euromax
- Croma
- Derby
- Bolsano

Just dropping a few thoughts on this:

Astra is produced at a Gilette owned factory, which is owned by P&G, so you should boycott P&G as well as they are the ones who ultimately make profit form Astras produced in Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Guys - buy what you want. Don't buy what you don't want.
Let's keep B&B Politics free, eh?
Nothing wrong with asking for recommendations for blades from or excluding certain brands or geographical locations, but we don't need to know the motivation behind the decision.

Last edited:
Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep (USA)
Personna Platinum (Germany)
Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
Lord Silver Star (Egypt)
Sharp Titanium or LOI Titanium (Bangladesh)
Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 (Vietnam / South Korea)

If I had to go with a non-Russian blade, the ones I've used and liked are Personna Crystal and Feather. The one I'm ok with (have only used a tuck's worth) is Parker Platinum. (Haven't tried any Indian blades yet. Waiting for the RK/Henson co-branded blades to hit Amazon.)

Some of my favorite not-made in Russia options:
Personna, both EU and US-made options
Lord, many brands that are worth a try especially Silver Star and Shark
German Wilkinson Sword

Top Bottom