What's new

Run out of things to hone

Ya, thanks guys:thumbup1:
The scythe is a good idea... I can just see the wife's face when I lugged that in.

I took Mainaman's advice though, dug out the Okuda Aisa, and incredibly hard J-nat I haven't had much time with. Took my "Solgen" japanese razor to it as it only seemed fitting. It's been a stubborn razor prone to micro chipping, and this time she did it again. Maybe I'm over honing it... At least I've got another challenge! Which is good as I might have the next week off:thumbdown
I'm raised on the country side & got familiar with scythes & stuff at a young age so I know how to sharpen them & a neighbor asked me if I could help me out with his old scythe, he has a much bigger yard then mine & actually has some use for a scythe.
Sure I said & he brought it over.
Then a few nights later I sat at the kitchen table, sharpening some knifes.
Our bottom floor is all open & you can see from the kitchen in to the living room.
My wife sat watching TV & we chatted a bit.
When all knifes were sharp I was gonna take my box of stones & go out in the garage & take care of the scythe.
But we had a good time & I also wanted to tease her a bit, so I went out & got the scythe in to the kitchen instead.

I went at it & had a blast since it had been many years since last I honed a scythe & when she looked up & saw the scythe, it was a pure kodak-moment :lol:
But she didn't say anything, just picked up the phone.
(calling her sister) "Hi, how are ya? I was just wondering if it is okay with you if I come over with the kids & sleep at your place for a while?
Why? Because he finally lost it. He sits at the kitchen-table grinding away at some rusty, huge massmurder-tool with his eyes all gleaming with demented joy.
I'm not sure if it's me or someone else he is after, but it sure feels like it's time to make run for it" Then she burst into laughter.:lol:

Not to worry. I send through my agent, the personnel secrotary to the Ambassador General de Nigeria, a honable and beveled device for cutting hair(s). I only ask that you kindly pay for psotage and any siutable costomes or handeling fees as apropriately. My agent wil expediate this matter by sending you a certifiable check in the amout of 10,005 (Eur) and if you could klindly return unused poretion to me at address supplied.

Thank-you and I wish you the greatest succes in your honerable (honable3?) endevors.

Mon. Woodash

proxy.php

Wow! A Nigerian ex-pat razor! I had heard that those oil ministry guys got the best shaves. Now I know why.

Can you get these guys to stop giving me money? The IRS is starting to ask questions about these $1,000,000 transactions (I only get to keep a measly $23,499 for each one).

I can do better than that.... I only need to use them once or maybe twice before they are dull :tongue_sm.... everyone elses hair is like this.... \\\\ but mine is like this \\\\ and tough as shoe leather :blink:

Shaving is not fun for me even with the newest and sharpest blades
Yarrr, I can relate to that. ...That or my edges aren't as sharp as I think they are.
Then again, I did run out of Witch Hazel. I think it's probably related, at the rate I use it.

Hey, is that an old-fashioned Shingle makin blade?

I bought a meat cleaver at an antique store. It is labeled "American Cutlery Co". I bought it just to put a good edge on it. I paid about $7 USD for it. Sorry I don't have pictures. My d****** camera is out on loan.

Pictures when I have a chance. I plan to put a double bevel on this one. The original edge was hacked up and rolled. This gives me the chance to use stones from the neighborhood to grind out the gouges.

Yarrr, I can relate to that. ...That or my edges aren't as sharp as I think they are.
Then again, I did run out of Witch Hazel. I think it's probably related, at the rate I use it.

If your edge is fine for the first shave or two, I'm inclined to believe that you need to use a shallower angle or that your stropping technique may need some work. Or, if you are using pastes, it could just be that, as many have reported their edges not staying at their peak for many shaves when using pastes.

If your edge is fine for the first shave or two, I'm inclined to believe that you need to use a shallower angle or that your stropping technique may need some work. Or, if you are using pastes, it could just be that, as many have reported their edges not staying at their peak for many shaves when using pastes.

Oops, I meant that even with the sharpest of blades, shaving isn't super fun. Maybe it's still technique. This morning I used my DE for a quick shave and managed 0 pressure everywhere, even going ATG. Wound up with a Good but not Perfect shave.
I have noticed that my edge seems to deteriorate faster with frequent stropping on the pasted side of my filly strop, so I only really strop the suede side once or twice a week.

Oops, I meant that even with the sharpest of blades, shaving isn't super fun. Maybe it's still technique. This morning I used my DE for a quick shave and managed 0 pressure everywhere, even going ATG. Wound up with a Good but not Perfect shave.
I have noticed that my edge seems to deteriorate faster with frequent stropping on the pasted side of my filly strop, so I only really strop the suede side once or twice a week.

Which is the suede side? The one that is pasted? I'm assuming that you strop on the unpasted side between every shave. How many laps do you usually do?

I bought a meat cleaver at an antique store. It is labeled "American Cutlery Co". I bought it just to put a good edge on it. I paid about $7 USD for it. Sorry I don't have pictures. My d****** camera is out on loan.

Pictures when I have a chance. I plan to put a double bevel on this one. The original edge was hacked up and rolled. This gives me the chance to use stones from the neighborhood to grind out the gouges.

I don't think I can stomach looking at a picture of a man shaving with a meat cleaver. One false move....... :bored:

Which is the suede side? The one that is pasted? I'm assuming that you strop on the unpasted side between every shave. How many laps do you usually do?

The sueded (furry) side has green paste on it (I think it's CrOx). I do around 40 laps on the smooth side, but sometimes I zone out and stop counting :001_rolle I just went and did a test strop and I counted to 81 (but that's half-laps).

If I do the pasted side, I keep it low, to maybe 10 two-way laps.

Last edited:
:001_huh:
The sueded (furry) side has green paste on it (I think it's CrOx). I do around 40 laps on the smooth side, but sometimes I zone out and stop counting :001_rolle I just went and did a test strop and I counted to 81 (but that's half-laps).

If I do the pasted side, I keep it low, to maybe 10 two-way laps.

The green stuff is indeed CrO. But I'm confused, because it sounds to me like you're either not sure how many laps you actually do or have both sides pasted.

Just think of it as a 48/8 wedge

Now people sharpen lots of things: axes, meat cleavers, draw knifes. I do not really need a meat cleaver. They are handy if you are cutting up lots of chickens. It just looked as if it needed sharpening. Some fool had rolled the edge on it.

Yeah I can dig that.

I can't wait to get into honing. Everything in my house that should be sharp will be... :001_smile

:001_huh:

The green stuff is indeed CrO. But I'm confused, because it sounds to me like you're either not sure how many laps you actually do or have both sides pasted.

Sorry for the confusion. The smooth side is not pasted and I usually do about 40 laps on the smooth side before shaving every morning.
The suede side is pasted and I rarely use it. When I do, I only do about 10 laps on it.

I tried doing 30 laps on the pasted side this morning, followed by 60 on the smooth side and it improved the edge considerably. I'll probably keep doing 30 laps on the pasted suede side once or twice a week from now on.

I think I just needed to do more laps on the suede side. It does degrade the edge a little faster, but I would rather have it sharper, even if it requires more frequent touchups.

Sorry for the confusion. The smooth side is not pasted and I usually do about 40 laps on the smooth side before shaving every morning.
The suede side is pasted and I rarely use it. When I do, I only do about 10 laps on it.

I tried doing 30 laps on the pasted side this morning, followed by 60 on the smooth side and it improved the edge considerably. I'll probably keep doing 30 laps on the pasted suede side once or twice a week from now on.

I think I just needed to do more laps on the suede side. It does degrade the edge a little faster, but I would rather have it sharper, even if it requires more frequent touchups.

You may want to consider just doing more laps on the smooth, unpasted side. 40 laps is pretty low, especially if you're not stropping on linen too.

Top Bottom