What's new

Getting hones dead flat - a quandry

New plate fresh off the mill. Might have gotten a little aggressive with the grove. Will see when i try it. 7 inch cast iron round

Attachments

• 20230706_184423.jpg
    20230706_184423.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
This also works well. Forgot i even had it until the other day. Roughly 6x4x2 cast iron lapping plate. Done two hard arks off this so far and both where very flat off the plate.
Would this work with JNats or softer stones. I know Shapton has a smaller version of this.

It would but i am not a fan of loose abrasives on jnats. Not unless they are super hard. I always worry about embedding SiC in the stone. One piece of 60 SiC stuck in the stone surface can make for a bad day

It would but i am not a fan of loose abrasives on jnats. Not unless they are super hard. I always worry about embedding SiC in the stone. One piece of 60 SiC stuck in the stone surface can make for a bad day
All my Jnats are hard finishers but one. Yeah, diamond plates are the way to go. I may get a lapping plate for my Arkansas.

This also works well. Forgot i even had it until the other day. Roughly 6x4x2 cast iron lapping plate. Done two hard arks off this so far and both where very flat off the plate.
You can use really fine play sand on those as an abrasive. Iron bands with fine sand is what they used to cut coticules with(they still might, I don't know but I doubt it)

duke762

Rose to the occasion
White silica sand, not the yellow sand kids usually play in. In fact it's not recommended as play sand but I like to play with it. I'll be teaching a noob (noob knife sharpener) with a sketchy looking black Ark(Best brand), to lap with silica sand during lunch at work Monday. I'm curious to see if the stone is as bad as it looks. Yeah, it's fairly black in most spots and yeah, I bet it's from Arkansas but any usefulness will have to be demonstrated. Not expecting much.

You can use really fine play sand on those as an abrasive. Iron bands with fine sand is what they used to cut coticules with(they still might, I don't know but I doubt it)
The silica sand that i have feels finer then 60 SiC. Worked pretty well on some slate tho. And the price was right. Just hate how it gets everywhere.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I finally got the noob working on his black Ark. We started the party with silica sand on steel and ended with 180 grit clover SIC compound. Grease based? ...It's what we had on hand, we made it work. Heck, I don't even think his stone is novaculite, he would be lucky if it was a Dunstan. Any how, by breaking the 180 down we got the nasty thing flat and maybe 300 grit. He's happy as a clam that it improves his edges. The lazy creep wanted me to do the work even after giving instructions, I've been giving him sharpening lessons but there's a back story....

About a year ago the creep forces a dozen big beater, stainless kitchen knives on me with no mention of doing a thing for me and me telling him I don't do those types of things. I never touched them so now I'm teaching him to sharpen so he can do his own grunt work. I don't get why his face turned so red when I mentioned my motivations and told him he could do them now...

Top Bottom