What's new

Run out of things to hone

Well, I've done it: of my modest little collection of razors and stones, I've honed 'em all. And the kitchen knives, and my chisels and plane irons, and my pocket knife, and anything even faintly resembling a knife.

Everything that needs scales has been re-scaled, all my strops have been broken in, I've settled on a couple of nice soaps... I've read every book and PDF and thread on several websites I can find on the subject....

Now what the heck do I do?

Free honing, anyone?

This is the cycle of RAD and HAD, now you need more ebay razors to hone...

Funny you bring this up. I have a switchblade that used to belong to my father. I found it again last nite (it shows up every few years by accident) and it is anything but sharp!

-Crisp

Funny you bring this up. I have a switchblade that used to belong to my father. I found it again last nite (it shows up every few years by accident) and it is anything but sharp!

-Crisp

send it to me! I'll hone her up!

KDing!:001_smile

Nick, I think you're right; I guess i will have to start lurking EBay... though I've never been much of a gambler. If i want to keep any fodder for my stones around, I'll have to, I guess.
Problem is, I already have more razors than I'll ever be able to use, especially since I only shave every other day, I could go more than a month without using the same blade twice. What would I ever do with more?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
send it to me! I'll hone her up!

KDing!:001_smile

Nick, I think you're right; I guess i will have to start lurking EBay... though I've never been much of a gambler. If i want to keep any fodder for my stones around, I'll have to, I guess.
Problem is, I already have more razors than I'll ever be able to use, especially since I only shave every other day, I could go more than a month without using the same blade twice. What would I ever do with more?

You can always resell them, especially if your edges are truly good enough to call shave ready. You can give them to newbies. Or just collect them. Myself, I like to buy only $10 and cheaper razors to get my honing fix. You never really know what you're gonna get, so I don't put a lot of money on the line. Plus, some of those cheap finds are first of all a challenge to get right, and second sometimes you run across a real gem in the rough and when you are finished restoring it to usability, it is cool to be able to say that you only paid a few bucks for it. I have some razors that I really like that I only paid a buck or two plus shipping.

Sooner or later you might find yourself feeling as I do, that simply honing old razors is old hat, and that it is time for a new challenge, like making razors. I have some very definite ideas about what makes the perfect razor shape, and I would love to make them a reality. Or maybe you would like to make custom scales out of exotic materials, or do full-on restorations. If you are feeling the itch to do something, then I can only suggest that you go for it.

Not yet, Jared. You're giving Canada Post too much credit. All Canadians must learn patience when it comes to Canada Post. And if we don't learn it, they mess with ya, and send your package to Inukiviktuk.

I try to forget that I've got anything coming in the mail, and so when it does finally show up, I can be all surprised and happy, and not mad that it took 'em so freakin' long to deliver something.:biggrin1:

I'll tell you what. I'll cut you a deal. Just because I like you so much.

Send me a few of your straights, I'll use em till they are dull then send em back to you and you can hone em again! :lol::lol:

Not yet, Jared. You're giving Canada Post too much credit. All Canadians must learn patience when it comes to Canada Post. And if we don't learn it, they mess with ya, and send your package to Inukiviktuk.

I try to forget that I've got anything coming in the mail, and so when it does finally show up, I can be all surprised and happy, and not mad that it took 'em so freakin' long to deliver something.:biggrin1:

Sounds to me like your postal system is almost as slow as your health care system :tongue_sm..... You think maybe they are being run by the same people??? :lol::lol::lol:

I'll tell you what. I'll cut you a deal. Just because I like you so much.

Send me a few of your straights, I'll use em till they are dull then send em back to you and you can hone em again! :lol::lol:

I can do better than that.... I only need to use them once or maybe twice before they are dull :tongue_sm.... everyone elses hair is like this.... \\\\ but mine is like this \\\\ and tough as shoe leather :blink:

Shaving is not fun for me even with the newest and sharpest blades

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
proxy.php

Get a scythe, it takes a while to get the hang of sharpening one & even when you know how to, it takes good time to do it properly :biggrin1:

I completely know the feeling.
I find myself honing a perfectly shave-ready blade, just for the fun of it...

Recently I took up sharpening beauticians scissors & that was great fun!
Took a while to get the hang of it, but it resembles straight honing a lot.
Last pair I did was a HQ Japanese pair & I took 'em up to Naniwa 10K.
It passed the HHT flying :thumbup:
And the hair-dresser was thrilled. "Sharpest scissors she used ever"

I've always sharpened things, my father thaught me when I was only 8 or 9 how to keep a knife sharp.
And sharpening steel has been something I've enjoyed my whole life.

But since picking up straights I've gone from "Okey, now this knife/chisel/plane is sharp enough again" to "Okey, how can I make this axe pass the HHT" :biggrin1:"

Ya, thanks guys:thumbup1:
The scythe is a good idea... I can just see the wife's face when I lugged that in.

I took Mainaman's advice though, dug out the Okuda Aisa, and incredibly hard J-nat I haven't had much time with. Took my "Solgen" japanese razor to it as it only seemed fitting. It's been a stubborn razor prone to micro chipping, and this time she did it again. Maybe I'm over honing it... At least I've got another challenge! Which is good as I might have the next week off:thumbdown

Not to worry. I send through my agent, the personnel secrotary to the Ambassador General de Nigeria, a honable and beveled device for cutting hair(s). I only ask that you kindly pay for psotage and any siutable costomes or handeling fees as apropriately. My agent wil expediate this matter by sending you a certifiable check in the amout of 10,005 (Eur) and if you could klindly return unused poretion to me at address supplied.

Thank-you and I wish you the greatest succes in your honerable (honable3?) endevors.

Mon. Woodash

proxy.php

You use coticule for finishing correct? In that case there is a lot more to be experienced with other stones.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not sure if I'd want to experience the others. A Coticule is where HAD goes to die. :lol:

Truth be told I have been eyeing J-nats, but really I know I shouldn't because I would just have too much fun, and my wallet is far from deep enough to handle that.

Top Bottom