What's new

Rum Help

I enjoy a good Scotch, and the SWMBO enjoys a good glass of wine, but neither of us has ever done the cocktail thing. As we do enjoy a good excuse to host, we decided a cocktail party would be a good way to learn. :thumbup1: B&B's Speakeasy has been incredibly helpful and we've got a lot of good ideas, but as we're effectively putting a bar together for the first time, it can be a bit expensive. :blink: Sorry purists, but we're looking to make-do on a budget. Hopefully. :001_rolle

Where we (I) could use some help is: rum. There's so many different kinds which seem tailored to a single drink / application. Is there a single rum that could "make-do" in a wide range of applications? For example, eggnog traditionally calls for a dark spiced rum, whereas a mojito calls for a "light" one. Even though it might not do proper justice to each, would anyone have a good recommendation that could be considered adequate? Or am I asking for the impossible:001_cool:

Price range, for consideration, would be middle-of-the-road. Nothing top shelf, but I'm not trying to penny-pinch either. SWMBO would benefit the most from something smooth, as she's not a fan of things with much of an alcohol "bite".

Thanks guys!

For a light rum I'd go for Mount Gay. I much prefer it over Appleton which is also a decent rum.

• I like to use Cruzan aged light rum, far more flavor than Bacardi light rum and the price is pretty good.
  • For dark rum Gosling's Black Seal is preferred. Myers seems to have a funky plastic taste.
  • Don't really go for spiced rum, prefer to add flavors manually.
  • Gold rum: Big fan of Lemon Hart brand Demerara for most rum drinks, but there are a whole lot of midrange rums you can try. Appleton Estate 12 year is nice, Mount Gay is good, Pampero a fine choice. Personally don't care for the Pyrat stuff, bt that might be a bit more on the high end, anyway.
  • For sipping neat: Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (15 year aged, I think?).

Of course YMMV, as we say. Hit me up if you'd like any vintage tiki drink recipes, and have fun checking out the rum!

I drink mostly Cruzan rum, they have all different types. Also the price/taste ratio beats all of the non top shelf contenders, and some top shelf as well. The have light rum, gold amber rum, blackstrap molasses rum, single barrel 12 year rum, 151 proof rum, and multiple flavors of rum. For most of them I get for $10 a 5th and under stateside for most of the rums, except single barrel and 151. When I'm in the Virgin Islands, it is only $4 a 5th. For a slightly higher priced rum I also love 10 cane rum.

Where we (I) could use some help is: rum. There's so many different kinds which seem tailored to a single drink / application. Is there a single rum that could "make-do" in a wide range of applications? For example, eggnog traditionally calls for a dark spiced rum, whereas a mojito calls for a "light" one. Even though it might not do proper justice to each, would anyone have a good recommendation that could be considered adequate? Or am I asking for the impossible:001_cool:

Impossible.

I'd stay away from spiced varieties if you are trying to limit options. Capt Morgan has a strong vanilla note and Sailor Jerry and Blackheart both have a strong cherry note.

Most of the cocktails I like call for a light rum so that is what I'll recommend:
Light (white) - Don Q Crystal

You might consider limiting your cocktail choices if you plan to buy only one type of rum. Enjoy the party!

Sailor Jerry or Spiced Jack is good. If are on a very small budget, I would recommend Lady Bligh or admiral Nelson. Rum is one of the few things that even most of the cheap ones are at least decent.

Thanks for the feedback! The eggnog is actually for a Christmas party, I was simply holding out hope that I could possibly do justice to both drinks with a single purchase. Each rum variety is so drastically different that I was expecting the "impossible" answer. :nonod:

Again, it's not that our budget is small, but it would be nice to maximize our "ingredients" capability.:001_cool:

For dark rum I'd recommend Coruba if you can find it. It's from Jamaica but much better than Meyers.

Miles recommended Lemon Hart (demerara). It's great for mixing and so is El Dorado 5 year old. Demeraras are full-flavored, characterful rums.

For an all-rounder for mixing I'd recommend Appleton Estate V/X. It has a good quality/price ratio.

I love spiced rum myself! I prefer Sailor Jerry's over the captn', mix it with ginger ale (not coke!) and you'll never know what hit you!

But for a cocktail party I'd go with Seagrams or Appleton estates. Check out the website(s) for some drink recipes.

Martinique: Clement, Bally, Trois Rivieres, Saint James, Depaz or any rum from Martinique; they are "Agricole" rums produced form sugar cane juice not molasses and compare favorably with a fine Cognac or Armagnac.

When the rum supply gets low, it is time to take a cruise! It is the B&B way! Save money on blades, blow it on creams and soaps!

I enjoy Mount Gay for light rum. Kraken for spiced. I love dark rums but almost never drink them so I'll stay out of that part.*

*There is a Cayman dark rum called Big Black Dick that was pretty awesome but it not sold in the US.

I enjoy a good Scotch, and the SWMBO enjoys a good glass of wine, but neither of us has ever done the cocktail thing. As we do enjoy a good excuse to host, we decided a cocktail party would be a good way to learn. :thumbup1: B&B's Speakeasy has been incredibly helpful and we've got a lot of good ideas, but as we're effectively putting a bar together for the first time, it can be a bit expensive. :blink: Sorry purists, but we're looking to make-do on a budget. Hopefully. :001_rolle

Fundamentally impossible, if you actually mean you'd like to buy a single bottle that will serve all these functions. White/light rum and dark rum are not fraternal twins but cousins, and one cannot possibly be substituted for the other in cocktail recipes, unless you tell your guests plainly that you're doing something really weird that may fail the taste test.

If you're on a budget, and you're serious about putting together a bar that can produce all the kinds of cocktails you mention, then you have no choice but to buy two bottles, one light and one dark. Get yourself a bottle of Cruzan or other light rum that comes in a liter bottle for a reasonable price: this stuff is made to be a mixer, so no shame in a plastic bottle! (There are better 'light' rums out there, but they are made with more of an eye toward sipping straight, which makes them not only more expensive but a waste of booze in a mixed drink.) For the dark rum, I recommend Gosling's. It's well made, not expensive as dark rums go, and I think it's superior to some pricier competition. It also features prominently in one of my favorite mixed drinks, the Dark 'n' Stormy.

I do not recommend spiced rum to anyone old enough to have graduated from college. If you want 'spiced rum' for an eggnog recipe or some such, get a dark or light rum as the recipe requires and spice it yourself with cloves, nutmeg, etc.

High-quality, high-priced rums that are made to be enjoyed neat like a whisky or cognac are an entirely different topic. Start a new post for that. :001_smile

Happy drinking!

Gosling's and eggnog is delicious. I'll be having that again tomorrow night as I put lights on the Christmas tree :001_smile

I drink mostly Cruzan rum, they have all different types. Also the price/taste ratio beats all of the non top shelf contenders, and some top shelf as well. The have light rum, gold amber rum, blackstrap molasses rum, single barrel 12 year rum, 151 proof rum, and multiple flavors of rum. For most of them I get for $10 a 5th and under stateside for most of the rums, except single barrel and 151. When I'm in the Virgin Islands, it is only $4 a 5th. For a slightly higher priced rum I also love 10 cane rum.

+1

Their Dark is a heck of a deal for $11 +/- a fifth and the single barrel is as smooth as the finest bourbon

They're jacking their prices up, it used to be $2 a fifth :scared:

High-quality, high-priced rums that are made to be enjoyed neat like a whisky or cognac are an entirely different topic. Start a new post for that. :001_smile

Happy drinking!

I'm gonna do this:thumbup1:

Martinique: Clement, Bally, Trois Rivieres, Saint James, Depaz or any rum from Martinique; they are "Agricole" rums produced form sugar cane juice not molasses and compare favorably with a fine Cognac or Armagnac.

Also consider Guatamala's Zacapa and Zaraya; Nicaragua's Flor de Cana.

Top Bottom