What's new

Rooney 3/1 vs 3/2

Hey folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Rooney from Vintage Blades. He has recommended the Style 3 in Super as a good all-around brush, and says that size 1 is the most popular. It's listed as a 22mm knot, I think, and my current brush is a Vulfix 403 with a 20mm knot. My only concern is that I've seen the 3/1 listed along with the SR 3x18 as a "small brush". I had a 3318 but found it too small. In theory the larger knot should actually make it a bigger brush than my Vulfix, right? Or is there something about the loft or other characteristics that makes it act closer to a 3x18? I'm not sure if I should be going for the medium size instead.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey folks,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Rooney from Vintage Blades. He has recommended the Style 3 in Super as a good all-around brush, and says that size 1 is the most popular. It's listed as a 22mm knot, I think, and my current brush is a Vulfix 403 with a 20mm knot. My only concern is that I've seen the 3/1 listed along with the SR 3x18 as a "small brush". I had a 3318 but found it too small. In theory the larger knot should actually make it a bigger brush than my Vulfix, right? Or is there something about the loft or other characteristics that makes it act closer to a 3x18? I'm not sure if I should be going for the medium size instead.

Thanks for any advice.
I have a 3 in a small and I can't compare it to the Vulfix as I have no experience with those. The style 3 small is a great soap brush. If you want to have a bit more versatility perhaps the med would be better as a dual soap/cream brush IMHO. I also have a style one in both small and medium and that is the way it worked with those.

The Rooney S3 will be bigger than the SR3x18, but not too much. Feels maybe 25% larger, but denser and firmer as well. The handle is more useful as well, IMO, but I was comparing to the SR3118. Best of luck.

J

Hmm, based on this advice I'm starting to lean toward the medium... I appreciate your input. Why do I agonize over these decisions? Another early sign of SBAD... :lol:

I am a "small brush guy" and have a SR 3320 and a Rooney 3/1.
The Rooney definitely feels larger to me but not by a large margin - for a 22mm knot, I'd say the brush size is closer to my 3320 than my 3824. Of course, the SR's are bulbs and Rooneys are fans so that makes a difference too.

The 3/1 will feel much bigger than your 18mm SR knot IMO, but not sure if that means it will be big enough for your liking.
I really love the handle on the style 3 - long and easy to grip.

Good luck in with whatever you decide.

I have both the style 1 & 3 medium in super and I am selling them both. The style 1 is a great soap brush but is too dense to release the lather on the second and third passes. The style 3 is just way too big for me, too big for most soaps in bowls and produces ridiculous amounts of lather, of course you may like these attributes, but I use a Simpsons Duke 2 and a PJ2 for 99% of my shaves, the Duke is the nuts with soap and the PJ2 will do either. Good luck.

Top Bottom